Styling Is £300 expensive for front and rear bumper spraying?

Currently reading:
Styling Is £300 expensive for front and rear bumper spraying?

Been looking into getting my Abarth bumpers sprayed up, everywhere seems to be about £300, one place said if i do the prep, they will do it for £150, but they cant guarantee any of the work..

Contemplating buy a air compressor, or renting one and giving it a go myself..

Where could i get paint mixed up? and how hard is it for a complete novice?

Thanks Guys

mate dont spray it yourself it wont go right on compared to your other bodywork:( lol

you have to add the right amount of thinners...know how to spray it on properly reducing risk of runs and patches ect...need to flat it and buff it with a proper buffer afterwards not worth buying all equiptment if your not already confident tbh dnt want to put you dwn and tbh with some practice you can do it just better off paying imho

£300 is a high price for only 2 bumpers mate...i got mine done at £60 a panel so £120 for front and rear bumper done perfect job and he filled the towing eye cover on rear bumper for me aswel

im paying £300 o sort me car out now and thats bonnet bumper and wing

bonnet needs cutting and welding then pulling an filling then spraying

bumper needs filling and spraying

wing needs pulling filling and spraying

and the bonnets being badboy'd so tbh £300 is a lot but prices differ i the area that you live iv noticed mate

Hmmmmmm, it might be worth a drive up to you... Where is the garage you get it done mate?

No offence taken btw, i just want the best advice ;)

in bradford about 5mins from me house lol guys foreign but does a great perfect looking job...tbh i been going round to get a quote for me car damage but he hasnt been there for 3 days straight now il try give him a call and see if he still doing it but guy next door to him said he does he just hasnt been there lately...should be back soon though lol

You need the equipment (guns, masks, fans, heaters) and right paint to do it right. Rattle cans are a no no :nono: Theyre never the same coleur and are way too runny. You also need a good dry clean shed and lots of heat to keep the damp out. And preparation is the key to a good finish. Do it wrong and it will come out rubbish, all the time. Plastics also require adhesion promoter in order to make the paint stick to it properly, possibly isolater if youre having problems with the coats. Been there, done that, learn from my mistakes (y) £300 to have your car freshened up at either end is much better than £60 of rattle cans, half your lungs and a truly horrendous finish...

If you prep it up well, there should be no problems with the finish, saving you 150 (y)
Image0360.jpg
Image0405.jpg
Image0468.jpg
Image05821.jpg

hmmm, i might just look for places further away... i really cant warrant £300, when i only paid £65 for the whole freeeeking kit :(

£65 is silly cheap for a pair of bumpers so £300 for a good paint job is still a bargain.

Cellulose can be sprayed at home but it fades and dulls fast. Motorbike tanks are about as far as its worth going. The 2 pack paints give a better, longer lasting finish, but are toxic so you must use proper breathing equipment Ideally positive pressure systems because charcoal filters cant be 100% trusted.

You would be looking at £100 for the compressor then another £50 for a cheap gun then who-knows-what for breathing equipment. Don't forget the flatting and polishing equipment (DAs etc). On top of that you need the paint and facilities for it to cure properly.

Ahem* rattle cans :nono:

Dont need paint for prepping, patience, a good clean of panel wipe (not thinners) and P800-P1200 wet & dry paper should do it (y) make sure to wipe the residue off or the paint particles will be a barsetard to remove...

errrrm i maybe wrong but normally when a bodyshop says prep it they want it primed and sanded down ready for paint to go straight on mate...sanding the panel is nothing to them

trust iv been to a couple of bodyshops mate and rattle cans aint great for using on bodypanels tbh https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/DSC022481.JPG interior trims are ok but not exterior panels...

heres what i called preped this is me smoothed front bumper filled sanded...primed resanded and filled for any inperfections/ high spots

primed/ preped ready for paint:

errrrm i maybe wrong but normally when a bodyshop says prep it they want it primed and sanded down ready for paint to go straight on mate...sanding the panel is nothing to them

I suppose it depends on the application, if theres cracks and scrapes then it will have to be filled sanded primed etc. Note I havnt done a bare metal respray in the photos...

i used to be an apprentice for a sprayer and i'd say thats good going! its worth paying the money to get it done right rather than have a go and mess it up...you pay for what you get!

Back