Technical Is Examiner needed for changing the clutch kit (Abarth Selespeed)

Currently reading:
Technical Is Examiner needed for changing the clutch kit (Abarth Selespeed)

spyshagg

Hello

I'm leaving my stilo abarth selespeed at the local garage to tomorrow to replace the clutch kit and bearing. They don't have examiner. Is it needed at any point of the procedure? I have FES

Thanks!

Yes. When the new clutch is assembled, you need to relearn the clutch travel distance and also need to bleed the hydraulic unit of the selespeed a couple of times... this can be done with Examiner, Fiat/multiecuscan, or other diagnostic devices.

Can I do it with Fiat Ecu Scan (yani) ?
If thats all that is needed, then I will save 300€..

Cant find any info on what to do on the examiner after the clutch goes in.

I found a post of yours on FES forum. I'll need to do all this, maybe?

Requirements
- Engine coolant temp > 80 degr. celcius
- Clutch temp between 20 - 150 degr. celcius
- No errors in engine ECU
- No errors in Selespeed ECU

Procedure sequence
- 2x Clutch bleed
- Enable clutch self calibration or calculate degradation index
- EOL service

Calculate degradation index

1) Put key on MAR,
2) Connect with FES to selespeed ECU,
3) Choose 'calculate degredation index' and press 'execute',
4) switch key to STOP (connection with FES is terminated but this is OK),
5) switch key to MAR and start the engine,
6) set gearbox in 2nd gear (manual),
7) pull up gentle and accelerate in 2nd gear till you reach 3000rpm,
8) brake and stop the car,
9) switch key STOP,
10) switch key to MAR,
11) connect FES to selespeed ECU and check the 'Clutch degredation index' in the parameter section.

You see that the degredation index 'll now be calculated and a different number 'll appear.

Enable clutch self calibration
The 'enable clutch self calibration' option has a different approach. follow this procedure;

1) Key in MAR engine off.
2) Press execute
3) Start engine
4) Wait for 10 seconds, then turn key to stop
5) Turn key to MAR directly after the stop

You can do this with Multiecuscan (previous called Fiatecuscan).

You can follow the procedures which you qouted from the Multiecuscan forums, but i think the procedure 'Bleed', 'EOL service' and 'clutch self calibration' are the most important ones to carry out. (in that order)

I never had the feeling that the 'clutch degredation index' calculation had effect on the shifting and clutching behaviour...

thanks guys

You can do this with Multiecuscan (previous called Fiatecuscan).

You can follow the procedures which you qouted from the Multiecuscan forums, but i think the procedure 'Bleed', 'EOL service' and 'clutch self calibration' are the most important ones to carry out. (in that order)

you state a different order in fes forums. bleed, clutch self, eol

Hmm you got me there :D

It should indeed be 'bleed', 'clutch self calibration' and 'EOL'

turns out I also need a flywheel! its turning to pieces..

just my luck

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I literally begged the guy. He shouted SORRY UK ONLY :(

Too heavy for international postage I guess

finally replaced clutch and dual mass flywheel.

Only problem: they put "tutela transmission oil" (a blue plastic bottle) on the selespeed deposit. Not the tutela CS speed transmission oil (a round metal can)!! and they tested the car (went for a ride) with the wrong oil in it...

I said no way. Please replace the oil.

What kind of damages can the wrong oil cause to the selespeed?

finally replaced clutch and dual mass flywheel.

Only problem: they put "tutela transmission oil" (a blue plastic bottle) on the selespeed deposit. Not the tutela CS speed transmission oil (a round metal can)!! and they tested the car (went for a ride) with the wrong oil in it...

I said no way. Please replace the oil.

What kind of damages can the wrong oil cause to the selespeed?

CS Speed comes in a blue plastic 1L bottle, not a metal tin. It's also a Tutela made fluid, you sure it's not CS speed :confused:

pretty sure. The last two bottles I bought were round metal cans and said "tutela CS SPEED" on them. This one is a plastic bottle and doesn't say CS SPEED anywhere on it. The liquid is blueshing, though.

The Tutela CS Speed comes in a blue plastic 1L can. It has a transparant brownish color, just like whiskey.

The clutch engadgement and shifiting can be very rough if you use the wrong oil, as its viscosity is different. For example; the clutch solenoid is a proportional solenoid valve, that means that it lets oil flow from 0L per minute to 10L per minute in a lineair line. If the oil has a different viscosity than the manufacturer advises, the outlet flow of the solenoid is not what the system expects to be and the clutch control is unpredictable.

Hope this little explanation helps to realize that the right oil is absolutely necessary! I advise to only use the Fiat CS Tutela CS Speed oil.

Thanks guys :)

Its confirmed. They sold my mechanich the wrong oil.

The thing is, they did all the calibration (EOL) and test drive with the wrong oil and I don't know what sort of problems I can expect in the future from this accident.

Thanks guys :)

Its confirmed. They sold my mechanich the wrong oil.

The thing is, they did all the calibration (EOL) and test drive with the wrong oil and I don't know what sort of problems I can expect in the future from this accident.

Not much I suspect. Insist they provide double quantity, so you can replace with the correct fluid, run for a day or so and then drain it again to replace with correct stuff. The first lot should then flush the system all being well (y)

will try for that :) thanks

This will be my first time running the engine without a single oil leak in sight. I'm eager to find what my real oil consumption is!

Back