General Ireland here we come

Currently reading:
General Ireland here we come

Sbf500

The family and I are moving to Ireland and of course that means the 500 will be coming too, under its own power as well so an adventure awaits.

So some general questions have cropped up in my mind some for those UK based and some for those in Ireland.

1. When exporting a car from the UK, if I ever return with it would it get reassigned its original number plate?

2. When bring it into Ireland can I claim exemption from VRT on more than one car as I have a daily driver I want to bring over as well.

3. Are there many people on here based in Ireland? And being in the EU where do you normally get your parts from?

Thanks
Al

Hi There,

I'm in Ireland, can't answer your first question but on the second one you should be able to import your cars no problem to the best of my knowledge as you are moving here and all the paperwork to back this up will be in place I assume. I think all you will have to do is pay a handling charge along with NCT appointments.
You may have to present the 500 to an NCT centre, our version of the MOT for them to verify that it is what it is and to note the chassis and engine numbers for your new logbook but it won't have to do the full test. The car will most likely be assigned a ZV number plate but you maybe able to get a standard number reg number that would have it's year, county to which your address will be and then the next number for that year that is available.
ZV I think means less paperwork but that needs more research to confirm.
For your everyday private car, this will be given a standard Irish reg and it will have to do an NCT even if it has an MOT on it, the two are not transferable.
Also, if you go with AXA Insurance on your private car, they also will do you a deal on your classic, two birds one stone.
If you have the older UK license with the C1 7500kg stamped, make sure you get this on your Irish license and fight them for it, if they don't give it to you it's gone and they won't entertain debate. The standard is now just 3500kg which is fine but the bigger licence is nice to have if you have it and then should you return home it'll be less nonsense and hassle to transfer back to your UK one. If you could I'd hold onto your UK one also, but I don't know if you have to hand one in to get the other, you may need to research that also

There's a bit of Italian activity here, there is a 500 Club, All Italia Ireland and there is also Classic Fiat Ireland, all are on Facebook and you would be more than welcome to join and contribute to them. Classic Fiat Ireland actually had a huge meet up to celebrate 100 years of Fiat in Ireland about two months ago so there is activity here, hopefully you'll be close to the action. Unfortunately however the legacy shows such as Tenure which would have been the biggest hasn't returned and I don't think it will but there are plenty of Cars and Coffee meetings on a Sunday, again Facebook will be your friend in finding one in your area.

Parts, FD Ricambi in Holland and Axle Gerstl in Germany are the usual go to places now that Brexit has shagged up going to Ricambo, Moto Bambino or Middle Barton, paperwork and import duty has priced them out of the water. It may work out easier for you to get parts over here then in the UK actually. Then also if you like the nightmare and challenges of dealing with Italians directly there is Facebook Marketplace, I'm having a battle with a sneaky little pasta loving bastard at the moment over a set of Cromodoras I bought on Marketplace back in May for an 850 and I've still to see them but I have also had some great dealings too......this little Super Mario however is trying my patience and testing my blood pressure!!!
Basically, parts are not a worry.

One other thing I will say is, we are now, thanks to the Greens in our government running E10 petrol only, no option for E5 so you'll need to buy an Ethenol additive and make sure your fuel lines are up to snuff. I don't know the long term affects of Ethenol yet, I'm not sure anyone does but it's a matter playing on everyone's minds.
If you are going to be living on the border between the north and south, the north are still getting the good stuff so popping up for your premium maybe an idea.
Also, during winter we grit the roads, we don't salt them so while there is still the water factor, there isn't the salty pure corrosion factor to worry about.

What part of the country will you be setting up in as a matter of interest?

Hopefully the moves goes well for you!

Hi There,

I'm in Ireland, can't answer your first question but on the second one you should be able to import your cars no problem to the best of my knowledge as you are moving here and all the paperwork to back this up will be in place I assume. I think all you will have to do is pay a handling charge along with NCT appointments.
You may have to present the 500 to an NCT centre, our version of the MOT for them to verify that it is what it is and to note the chassis and engine numbers for your new logbook but it won't have to do the full test. The car will most likely be assigned a ZV number plate but you maybe able to get a standard number reg number that would have it's year, county to which your address will be and then the next number for that year that is available.
ZV I think means less paperwork but that needs more research to confirm.
For your everyday private car, this will be given a standard Irish reg and it will have to do an NCT even if it has an MOT on it, the two are not transferable.
Also, if you go with AXA Insurance on your private car, they also will do you a deal on your classic, two birds one stone.
If you have the older UK license with the C1 7500kg stamped, make sure you get this on your Irish license and fight them for it, if they don't give it to you it's gone and they won't entertain debate. The standard is now just 3500kg which is fine but the bigger licence is nice to have if you have it and then should you return home it'll be less nonsense and hassle to transfer back to your UK one. If you could I'd hold onto your UK one also, but I don't know if you have to hand one in to get the other, you may need to research that also

There's a bit of Italian activity here, there is a 500 Club, All Italia Ireland and there is also Classic Fiat Ireland, all are on Facebook and you would be more than welcome to join and contribute to them. Classic Fiat Ireland actually had a huge meet up to celebrate 100 years of Fiat in Ireland about two months ago so there is activity here, hopefully you'll be close to the action. Unfortunately however the legacy shows such as Tenure which would have been the biggest hasn't returned and I don't think it will but there are plenty of Cars and Coffee meetings on a Sunday, again Facebook will be your friend in finding one in your area.

Parts, FD Ricambi in Holland and Axle Gerstl in Germany are the usual go to places now that Brexit has shagged up going to Ricambo, Moto Bambino or Middle Barton, paperwork and import duty has priced them out of the water. It may work out easier for you to get parts over here then in the UK actually. Then also if you like the nightmare and challenges of dealing with Italians directly there is Facebook Marketplace, I'm having a battle with a sneaky little pasta loving bastard at the moment over a set of Cromodoras I bought on Marketplace back in May for an 850 and I've still to see them but I have also had some great dealings too......this little Super Mario however is trying my patience and testing my blood pressure!!!
Basically, parts are not a worry.

One other thing I will say is, we are now, thanks to the Greens in our government running E10 petrol only, no option for E5 so you'll need to buy an Ethenol additive and make sure your fuel lines are up to snuff. I don't know the long term affects of Ethenol yet, I'm not sure anyone does but it's a matter playing on everyone's minds.
If you are going to be living on the border between the north and south, the north are still getting the good stuff so popping up for your premium maybe an idea.
Also, during winter we grit the roads, we don't salt them so while there is still the water factor, there isn't the salty pure corrosion factor to worry about.

What part of the country will you be setting up in as a matter of interest?

Hopefully the moves goes well for you!
Thanks FR85 that is really helpful. Initially we are in Dublin, so chalk and cheese to rural wales.

So I am either going to keep the 500 in storage nearby otherwise it will be in my mother in laws garage but that is down in Clare so would mean a bit of a trek for a weekend drive!

I’m already using an ethanol stabiliser but I have never been convinced with the new Cavis green hose I put on a couple of years ago, I put some slack in the lines and it is amazing how much it shrunk….think it might be a job before I move.

Good to know about the salt, even just for normal driving so you don’t expect I’ve to be melted, but will be happy so not have salt all over the car eating it away.

Back