Technical Ipod / Connect Nav+ connection

Currently reading:
Technical Ipod / Connect Nav+ connection

JohnsonChris

Hi all,

Ok, I've had my dension ipod connector delivered with the Blaupunkt interface for the ConnectNav+ headunit - everything is ready to go, removed the backing from the glove box to find that as expected Fiat haven't run the wire from the back of the head unit - no fear, the cable I have is long enough. But I have no idea where the CDChanger port is on the back of the Nav+ system. Can anyone give me any ideas, anyone got a photo of the back of the ConnectNav+ units?

I'm hoping I can run the cable round to the right place without having to remove the unit itself!!

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Where's the CDChanger Port on ConnectNav+?

there is only one free port on the back of the connect+ so you cant go wrong. unfortunately you will have to slide the unit out to get in to it. it is easily done, there is a thread on here somewhere but it basically involves sliding 2 bits of cut up coat hanger into the holes in the front of the unit to release the retaining clips and then give it a push from the back.

Well I took another look and you wouldn't believe it but Fiat hadn't secured the head unit in place, so no coat hangers needed - the whole thing just slid out!

I have my iPOD connected to the CD changer interface and it looks like its picked it up - I'll drop a note back to let you know how I get along!

Cheers,
Chris

JohnsonChris said:
Hi all,

Ok, I've had my dension ipod connector delivered with the Blaupunkt interface for the ConnectNav+ headunit - everything is ready to go, removed the backing from the glove box to find that as expected Fiat haven't run the wire from the back of the head unit - no fear, the cable I have is long enough. But I have no idea where the CDChanger port is on the back of the Nav+ system. Can anyone give me any ideas, anyone got a photo of the back of the ConnectNav+ units?

I'm hoping I can run the cable round to the right place without having to remove the unit itself!!

Cheers,
Chris

Hi can I ask where you got this from and (gulp) how much it cost?

Cheers

Steev

I'd really like to connect my i-pod to the Sat-nav+ unit so do please tell me how you've done it!!!!!!!
What did u buy and where did u get it from?????!!!!!!!!!
I've got the CD changer, so does that mean i can't have the i-pod plugged into the system or can they both share the conector??????

I'm really interested in this subject so any help would be excelent!!!! (y)

Stilo Multijet 140bhp said:
I'd really like to connect my i-pod to the Sat-nav+ unit so do please tell me how you've done it!!!!!!!
What did u buy and where did u get it from?????!!!!!!!!!
I've got the CD changer, so does that mean i can't have the i-pod plugged into the system or can they both share the conector??????

I'm really interested in this subject so any help would be excelent!!!! (y)

Would you really need both the autochanger & an i-pod? I thought the point of mp3 players with big hard drives was to do away with the cd changer :confused: :)

Well, i allready spent 450euros un the Cd Changer + glove compartment so i'd like to have both. Plus, as u can't control the i-pod from the wheel i'd still like to have the cd changer available.
It's always best to have both if possible!!

Info about this subject would still be very helpful (y)
Thanx

Stilo Multijet 140bhp said:
Well, i allready spent 450euros un the Cd Changer + glove compartment so i'd like to have both. Plus, as u can't control the i-pod from the wheel i'd still like to have the cd changer available.
It's always best to have both if possible!!

Info about this subject would still be very helpful (y)
Thanx

I don't know if this will help but my dad has an i-pod & has just purchased something called an "ice link" which lets you control the i-pod from the head unit.

Really??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does that mean i could control it from the sat nav on the Stilo and from the controls on the wheel???? That would be PERFECT!!!!!! I'd give a kidney t o be able to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (y)
Is your father's car a Stilo???
Thanx for the info, i'll try and look it up

I just looked up the ice conector on google and foun an apple web with all the compatibilities but Fiat ain't even listed. The again, the web seemed to be american and i believe they havn't got fiats there, have they???

God i want to conect my i-pod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry all, I've only just got back onto the site to find all the replies!!

Bennyboy66, you're right i bought the Dension IceLink Plus connector (http://www.dension.com/icelink_info.htm) from David at www.ihavetohave.it, they're the main supplier for the dension kits in the uk. Basically the design is really simple, the iPOD connects to an interface which in turn connects to the CDChanger interface - it took 5 minutes to hook up and the CDC button is now available from the ConnectNav+ screen, the cable then routes through behind the glove box, where I have placed the interface unit, the remaining cabling runs round to the right hand side of the glove box where it pops through (no holes needed), I leave the ipod in it's cradle in the glove box. How does it work? Well you can select everything through the iPOD, or use the controls on the steering wheel - or even voice commands. Your first 5 playlists become buttons 1-5 on the ConnectNav+ unit. The iPOD will charge whilst it's in the cradle as well.

Sounds good eh!! Now the honest bit ..... it's not working!! Dension are working on the ConnectNav+ issue now - they know about the Fiat specific Blaupunk version and they have some units working, others including mine arn't (I have v9.8). They're working to a 5-6 week fix at the moment, all thats needed is a quick firmware update which is easily done through dropping some files onto the iPOD through iTunes.

I have been given the oppertunity to return the unit and get my money back, but to be honest I don't want to - it works on a huge number of other cars and I trust Dension will get it sorted out, I've been waiting ages to get the iPOD connected so if anyone is interested, help the process along by emailing both David and Dension on [email protected] and [email protected]

lardarse - you wanted to know how much, £99.99 inc vat.
Stilo Multijet - you cannot connect both the CD Changer and the iPOD - it's one or the other, but I'll be honest, why would you want to - you can use the headunit to control the ipod.

Chris

I've just had an email from Dension, they have the ConnectNav+ head unit with their development team right now, so it may be a lot sooner that 5 weeks.

Chris

Cool! cheers for the info Chris I shall order the ice link in a couple of months. Thanks again. (y)

That is good!!!!! Looks like i'm going to have to start selling my CD changer!!!!!!!!!!! Or mybe i can install some sort of a switch that will take me from the i.pod to the CD Changer and vice versa, that would be excelent.

Thanks for the info guys that was really helpful, now i just have to find out how to get the equipment in Spain!!! (y) (y) (y)

Try clicking on the links Chris posted & email the company to see if they will send you one. ;)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, love to see some photos if poss :)

Steev

Images should be up today, I've just had an email from dension, they wanted to ask if I would be ok with beta testing the new ConnectNav+ code - I've happily accepted and I'll let you know how I get on.

Back