Punto (Mk2/2b) Intermittent starting problems

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Intermittent starting problems

Every 3rd or 4th morning when I go to start the car the engine will give a slow turn followed by a click, it may do this 3 or 4 times before turning over and firing normally also while it does its few slow turns and clicks the dash clock will reset itself followed by the rev counter sticking at 0 for a few seconds before returning to normal once started. Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated as its doing my nut.

First thing I would do is check the security and cleanliness of the connections to the battery,the starter motor and the big earth strap that goes to the top of the gearbox. There may be a dicky connection preventing the car seeing the full battery voltage/current. The battery itself could be discharged but they as a rule don't get better on the third or fourth try.

A sneaky one is that sometimes the big wires can be corroded about an inch or so from the terminal which can appear good. The heat shrink wrapper can camouflage this so have a poke a bit away from the ends as well.

Back