Technical Intermittent starting issue.

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent starting issue.

paultaylor6003

Hey guys sorry not been on for a while moving house and tryin to keep the bravo runnin is a full time job.lol. I'm having intermittent starting issues. It can happen randomly now and again it might go on3rd turn of the keystone times needs a low speed bump. It's now doin my tits in. Iv already replace coil, leads, pump and plugs in past 6months. It's now at a stage where I don't know where to start now. Sometimes it's cold start sometimes warm. Now and again it runs rough and can hear it drawing a stupid amount of air thru the inlet but will happen at lights then that's it. Car still performs well and pulls like a train after it. It's strange now.

turn key in ignition and nothing/ or turns over but not start?if you wiggle key in ignition does the engine turn over?,between dirty battery connections,dodgy earth strap connection,faulty starter or ignition block damaged.:D

turn key in ignition and nothing/ or turns over but not start?if you wiggle key in ignition does the engine turn over?,between dirty battery connections,dodgy earth strap connection,faulty starter or ignition block damaged.:D

It turns over no problem but doest start, its a strange one. The earth looks ok. Iv given it a tugg on both ends and feels fine. Its strange and is now doin my head in. I didn't know if a dodgy crank sensor of fuel pump relay could cause it. I'm at my wits end now with it!

Magnetic pick up sensor? Is that the crank one? How do you sort? Clean up or replace? And if that. Is it on the bell housing or pulley do you know?

use the link above and add more info ,i dont know where as all models differ.(y)

We have had a new development. 2 turns of key, each after about 4 seconds sounds like the starter stopps for a split second. Its the 1.6 16v 100 model.

so when engine is cranking over it goes funny suggesting a ignition switch voltage drop or faulty starter.:eek:

Id get as many connectors as I could cleaned with contact cleaner. then Id look into the crank sensor a failing magnet means you need more RPM for the car to detect the crank is turning.

One guy had an intermittent problem and it turned out his crank sensor was insecure and moving about on a 1.6 the sensor was too far away from the phonic wheel.

I take it your immobiliser 'Code' light on the dash is going out as normal not staying on?

Yeah adrian it goes out as normal.no issues there,its just doin my head in,I can't pin the issue down to sort it. Gonna go c a mate tomorow get it up on a ramp and c if can find issue, see iv had people point to this bloody crank sensor, fuel relay sticking but then if sometimes starts fine for few days it makes me think not fuel relay.or the starter, ill have a look tomorow, adrian would u mind pm'in me ur number or bbm pin if need more help, I can prob c me needing it. I'm selling it soon too I think for smaller car being a student again now. Lol. So need it fixed right, but fixed cheap and where possible not needing to buy more parts, its raped my account for about 1k easily this year alone on new parts, lol.

Back