Technical Intermittent rear end clonk

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent rear end clonk

Ffoxy

Telford's Own...
Hiya all.... finally a rattle I cant find so HELP! :)

Its at the rear, cant be certain passenger / driver side. Its not the exhaust, thats well fitted. I have had the wheels off, checked for anything loose or not held tight. I stripped out the boot interior, folded the rear seats, removed the hatchback inner panel, tightened up the wheelarch liners.... made sure the back bumper is solidly fitted....everything I can think of.

So I'm left suspecting the dampers or their top mount, or.... God forbid.... the rear subframe rubbers.

Anyone any experience of this?

The noise isnt consistent, sounds like alloy on alloy or some metal, not plastic.

Doesnt happen over bumps or speed humps, just on eneven small undulations....

Bloody irritating, I listen for it now!

Any ideas anyone? (y)

Last edited:
loose exhaust heatshield? certain its coming from the back?

Hi T, I have moved the heatshield away from the silencer. I think I have an iffy drop link at the front passenger side but this clunky clunk seems rear endy. I'm gonna pull of the alloy top mounts and see whats inside, is it the top of the damper strut held in with a nut? Any history of these alloy mounts playing up?

46,000 miles now and still lovin it!

Hi T, I have moved the heatshield away from the silencer. I think I have an iffy drop link at the front passenger side but this clunky clunk seems rear endy. I'm gonna pull of the alloy top mounts and see whats inside, is it the top of the damper strut held in with a nut? Any history of these alloy mounts playing up?

46,000 miles now and still lovin it!

The alloy top mount does have a nut in the centre to hold the shocker shaft in. I'd advise to mark where the shocker is before taking it off, cos i have my shocks off last sunday and i never marked one up, it moved and had to givea rough guess to as of where it went :(
I too have a dodgey drop link at the o/s front, but i have invalidated the warrenty on the suspension now i thinks :( i have corsa sport suspension all round now :( but drop links are only 13inc vat

The alloy top mount does have a nut in the centre to hold the shocker shaft in. I'd advise to mark where the shocker is before taking it off, cos i have my shocks off last sunday and i never marked one up, it moved and had to givea rough guess to as of where it went :(
I too have a dodgey drop link at the o/s front, but i have invalidated the warrenty on the suspension now i thinks :( i have corsa sport suspension all round now :( but drop links are only 13inc vat

Thanks GP1416valver, marking up sounds like good advice, I presume you mean the alloy top-mount cup? I mark around that.

yeah thats right, the old mk2 punto used to have a few problems with rear shocks, so not sure if the 199 version will have too.... they only just been out over 3 years :) (11 feb 2006 im sad i know )

yeah thats right, the old mk2 punto used to have a few problems with rear shocks, so not sure if the 199 version will have too.... they only just been out over 3 years :) (11 feb 2006 im sad i know )

Stands a chance dontit. Tried getting on to Eper a few times but no luck, just wanted to have a look - see at whats what.

I HATE RATTLES AND CLONX! :mad:

One of the noises i had was a badly adjusted tailgate lock, might be worth checking. Another was the rear wheelarch liner fixing nuts that wouldn't tighten and kept working loose (stripped). Good luck with finding it (y)

Off subject slightly... My rear suspension was 'creaking' over bumps, so I spent a while spraying everything including bushes with a well known lubricating spray avoiding the brakes. Is this a good idea or not? IT worked though.

One of the noises i had was a badly adjusted tailgate lock, might be worth checking. Another was the rear wheelarch liner fixing nuts that wouldn't tighten and kept working loose (stripped). Good luck with finding it (y)

Done both twice meticulously marty...

Done both twice meticulously marty...

Out of frustration i took my son to a stretch of private road and stuck him in the boot while i drove over the most uneven bits i could find. He said it was coming from down near the N/S wheel, thats how i found it was the wheelarch liner. Do the same, another pair of ears does the trick or at least you will get an idea of the general area where the noise is ;)

Last edited:
Out of frustration i took my son to a stretch of private road and stuck him in the boot while i drove over the most uneven bits i could find. He said it was coming from down near the N/S wheel, thats how i found it was the wheelarch liner. Do the same, another pair of ears does the trick or at least you will get an idea of the general area where the noise is ;)
Marty that is a hell of an idea. mine started again. went back to dealer but now isn't any of the locks.

Foxy please don't forget to post what it was when you sort it out. hope you do soon. it is very nasty and nerve breaking. (y)

any news Ffoxy?

:eek: I am embarrassed but honest enough to say :-
I dont think its the back.... T made me reconsider. After all I have stripped and checked and refitted everything at the rear and all is good.

I am now thinking its a "deferred" noise from coming from my feckin drop-links, so they are my next target, but 46,000 on the originals is (y) by others experiences. I'll take a Search and see what I can find on here but anyone reading this link who's done their own.... What sort of a job is it? I am average to experienced on the spanners.

Back