Technical Intermittent Bogging Down

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent Bogging Down

Avspotter

Hi all, back again with my '88 Panda 1000CL and it's endless issues,

So I was driving on the motorway today, and I without warning, suddenly feel down on power and the engine is bogging down, like the air:fuel mix is off; exactly the same sound and feeling as if you're revving too hard with the choke on and it stutters a bit.

The problem was slowly worsening so I pulled over and the engine stalled on it's own as I came to a stop. I pulled off the airbox to see if there were any blockages and couldn't find any. Yet starting it back up again, it was absolutely fine; a few extra cranks from the motor were needed to start (maybe due to unburned fuel in the cylinders/flooded carb?), but right as rain after that. Yet 40 minutes later, the issue resurfaced, but same again, once the engine stalled and I started the car up after 30 seconds of it turned off, it was completely fine again.

No blocks in the air and fuel filters, and I can hear fuel pumping into the carb when I have the engine off and I press the throttle lever. No overheating either, temperature actually fell a few degrees when the issue arose.

So does anyone have experience with why I have this intermittent bogging down?

Thanks forum :))

hey there, i am going to go with the carb float sticking. i had the same. the bowl overflows down the air intake and bogs the engine.

you have to take the carb apart but its not all that big of a job. just bend the little tag the jet needle sits on a bit higher so the float shuts off sooner.

hope this helps :)

hey there, i am going to go with the carb float sticking. i had the same. the bowl overflows down the air intake and bogs the engine.

you have to take the carb apart but its not all that big of a job. just bend the little tag the jet needle sits on a bit higher so the float shuts off sooner.

hope this helps :)
Thanks a lot Dragon, appreciate the ideas. I posted this on FB too and some people said the ignition module was on its way out? Anyway, I've bought a spare, but will also have a look at the carb as that's something I've not done since I've owned the car.

i have found that the ignition module just goes. working then not working.. i always recommend to carry a spare. its all worth trying.
theres also the possibility it can be a loose connection somewhere feeding power to the ignition coil. only thing it can be really is the main ignition switch if that was the case. only way to tell is to connect a test lamp up to the ignition coil positive input and put the light somewhere where you can see it. then drive the car and try to replicate the fault. if the light goes out then its power loss to the coil.

in some ways computers are good for telling you whats wrong but i will stick with the old stuff.

Back