Technical Intermitent engine/injector lignt

Currently reading:
Technical Intermitent engine/injector lignt

havingfun

Hi All,
I have a Hobby 750 Motorhome 2001 Ducato 2.8jtd and been having this problem for some time where the engine/injector light comes on creating a loss of power for 1 to 10 secons and sometimes longer.I have taken it to several garages and Auto electricians icluding Fiat Garages but no one has yet solved this problem.When conected to the diagnostic reader (the plugin by the ECU)it came up with a accelerator pedal fault code,the pedal and throtle sender unite was replaced with new but this fault is still happening.Could any one recommend a solution or garage/auto electrician within the Manchester area who could deal with this and be able to accommodate this 8m.long motorhome.
Regards Havingfun :(:(:(:unsure::unsure:

2001 is rather early (but just about possible) for the JTD rather than the idTD, but, if it is the JTD, it's worthwhile at least checking for the common wiring fault to the no. 4 injector.

I had this (intermittent injector light and misfire) from relatively new on a 2005 JTD - much depends on the actual "tightness" of the wiring as to if/when it will happen.

Hi,
Thanks for this Information,come to thinking when We were in France and had this problem and the Fiat garage there mentioned a wiring problem with the injectors.Is it worth getting a new wiring loom for the injectors?? and if so where I could get one from.
Also could you advise me in which order the injectors number from.
Thanks Bernard

Motor vehicle cylinders are traditionally counted from the "front" or non drive end of the engine. (Counting could be tricky with some engine designs, such as V6 etc.). However on the Ducato, No, 4 cylinder is that closest to the LHS of the vehicle.

Instead of a harness you could consider something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...&_odkw=Ducato+2.8+JTD+injector+lead&_osacat=0

Another possible cause to consider could be the crankshaft position sensor, but would this illumiate the the "injector warning light"?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Again thanks every one,I will check out my ebay and hopefully we may have a solution to this problem. :unsure::unsure::unsure:I will let you know(y)(y)(y)
Bernard

I wouldn't count your chickens. There could be a multitude of potential causes, but the No4 injector issue was widespread and is well-known.

I experience it in 2006, (on a relatively new 2005 van) and AFAIR it generally occurred when the engine was under a degree of load (presumably with a bit of movement on the mounts) and was intermittent, but reasonably regular. It was fixed under warranty, and, though I never really checked the repair, my understanding is that FIAT were supplying a part-loom repair kit to "splice" in (these were/are certainly available as an "aftermarket" repair).

It was reported at the time that you could sometimes make a temporary improvement by removing/replacing and de-tensioning (as much as possible) the lead to No4.

Hi,
Beleave me I have spent over £5500 on this problem at many different garages/Auto electricians so I will not be doing any counting yet but I am willing to keep my options open and keep looking.
Please keep sending any possible solutions I really would like to find a perminant fix. Todate I have not found it or any one who can.

Hi Hugh.
you say it could be a multitude off things, could you surgest what other things could be causing this?? I can not find anyone who is willing to sort this out:(:(:(
Thanks Bernard

It could be caused by the engine not getting warm enough due to faulty thermostat that is stuck open. What temperature does the cooling liquid rich?

hi,
it reaches normal running temp about 80/85 deg/C and runs at that temp constant. not cold or over heating.
Thanks Bernard

80-85 deg C is not normal, is below normal. 98-105 deg C is normal, so the problem might be caused by a stuck opened thermostat. If anything else doesn't work, take a look at it.
Also, when does the light comes on? Is it like after some time of engine running, like when the engine is supposed to be hot and it isn't really hot, or just after you start the engine?

Hi Mike,
Thanks again for your input,the injector light will come on usually after the engine has been running for several miles (40/60) it comes on when my foot is on the excelrator when cruising between 1500/2000rpm it will go off if I take my foot off and come on again when I depress the pedal then stay off maybe also it will come on for no reason when I am sat in traffic or traffic lights then resetting it's self after a few seconds or maybe a minute or two.
I can't predict a point when this will happen I have done journeys and trips over 100s of miles with no problem.
Bernard

To me it looks like is caused by what I've mentioned before, by the fact that the cooling liquid (antifreeze) does not get as hot as it should. That is happening either because of stucked open thermostat, either because you have air pockets inside the cooling system. In this second scenario the antifreeze does get hot, but the temperature sensor measures otherwise. Because it can only measure liquid's temperature. And when air pocket gets around the sensor, it measures a drop of temperature. I think there is your problem coming from. Either faulty stat and that is easy to replace or even an easier to fix cause, air inside cooling system. That you bleed and top up tha antifreeze level.

I would say the thermostat is really the problem. When you get to an open road (highway or something), the antifreeze gets cold a lot by the wind hitting the radiator. And in those moments the stat should close.

80-85 deg C is not normal, is below normal. 98-105 deg C is normal, so the problem might be caused by a stuck opened thermostat. If anything else doesn't work, take a look at it.
Also, when does the light comes on? Is it like after some time of engine running, like when the engine is supposed to be hot and it isn't really hot, or just after you start the engine?
Hi Mike,

Keep in mind that the engine is a 2001 year diesel, so normal temperature will be lower than a more modern petrol engine.

The normal temperature will be within a few degrees of the specified opening temperature of the thermostat.

Best wishes Jack

Hi Mike,
We have just had(2weeks ago) a new water pump and timing belt fitted but not a new stat,the coolent was replenished then with new but I have had this problem long before then,so I will now order a new stat and see where it goes from there.
Thanks Bernard.
Ps:-I'am open to any other possable solutions to this frustrating problem:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi All,
I Have ordered a new stat just in case,I noticed in the tecnical detail that the stat for my van is preset to open at 82C.

Hi All,
I have a Hobby 750 Motorhome 2001 Ducato 2.8jtd and been having this problem for some time where the engine/injector light comes on creating a loss of power for 1 to 10 secons and sometimes longer.I have taken it to several garages and Auto electricians icluding Fiat Garages but no one has yet solved this problem.When conected to the diagnostic reader (the plugin by the ECU)it came up with a accelerator pedal fault code,the pedal and throtle sender unite was replaced with new but this fault is still happening.Could any one recommend a solution or garage/auto electrician within the Manchester area who could deal with this and be able to accommodate this 8m.long motorhome.
Regards Havingfun :(:(:(:unsure::unsure:
I had the same problem which got progressively worse until the injector light was on continuously. The motorhome became to dangerous to drive with very erratic response from the throttle.
There are 6 wires from the throttle position sensor to the ECU. Two are ground wires. Using a multimeter establish by probing the TPS plug identity your wires. You should have two 5volt, two sender and two grounds. The grounds can be checked with a coutinuaty test.
Anyway in my case one of the grounds wasn't working probably a break in the wire. Tracing the break would have been nigh on impossible so I spliced in a jumper wire from the TPS plug to the ECU. The wires on the ECU plug are easily identifiable they are in a row the same as the TPS plug although in the different order.
I've had no further problems. Hope this helps.

Thanks Robi.
that thread of infor mation could be of great help as I have still not found out whats causing my problem.I will definitelyask the auto electrician to take a look at the wires from the TPS.
Thanks Bernard

Back