Insured on someone elses policy

Currently reading:
Insured on someone elses policy

AppleSei

RIP L181 VBB
Based on Ozzies thread below i thought i would start this thread to see other peoples views.

Personally I dont like a load of people going under anyones name on insurance. One or two is fine but not like a whole family

I think it is a loophole in the insurance system and i am a firm believer in if you want to buy a car, you insure it yourself in your name i have from day one and never even ever considering going under anyones name.

Most people will disagree with that as the majority are probably under their parents name.

Convince me otherwise and tell me the benefits and drawbacks of doing it this way, please dont say its cheaper because if you cant afford the insurance you dont buy the car IMO

Discuss :)

Its been discussed loads of times! Ive been a named driver for over three years, soon to change in the summer though. It all started when the Punto I had belonged to my mum when I passed my test but about a year later it was given to me (for a small amount of money). Ever since then ive not bothered to get my own.

However being a named driver isnt really much cheaper- now I pay £700 but a policy of my own would be £900-£950.

really annoys me that :eek: because as named driver they should not be the daily user of car and if insurance find out its invalid, what if someone doing that hits you and the insurance nullify your car? if your going to insure it do it properly, otherwise dont do it at all imo

The insurance companies ask you 'will you be the main user of the car?' and I don't think they let you continue if you say no. If you want to lower your quote by using your parents you should be adding them as named drivers on your policy.

I was a named driver once until I got my own car. I don't see why its a loop-hole, at the end of the day there are advantages and disadvantages of either option

Okay, i had my own insurance on the Cinq but when i bought the beetle i went on mums insurance.

Its not really a con since the loan for the car is also in my mums name (as I'm not old enough/ dont earn enough to have my own loan.)

The thing about your insurance being void if you have a crash is stupid IMO.

My brother wrote off his Evo 7 whilst a named driver on mums. They paid out over £15k i think for that amount of money they would have caused a scene if they wanted to, yes?

The companies arent stupid, all young kids as named drivers with flash cars are doing it because they cant get insured on their own policy. Its highly unlikely that my mum with her 1.2 standard fiesta is going to have an Evo 7 too which she lets her darling son drive ;)

Lora.

wolfracepunto said:
You mean dont get insured at all?

oops sorry should've been clearer, i know people do it and will continue to no matter what my opinion is but what i meant is if you cant afford the insurance (fully & properly in your own name) then you cant afford the car simple as imo

edit: & the reason young driver insurance is silly high is because your a greater risk, therefore if your driving the car as *your* car under someone elses way then yes it is a loop hole as your avoiding the high premium whilst still giving the company the same risk factor

Edit II: Sorry no offence intended to anyone here btw :eek:

Directline are encouraging this as they offer NCB to named drivers, good idea really if people dont abuse

i would rather have drivers on the roads with some form of insurance than none at all

i am a named driver on my dads car

I'd just like to stick up for myself here, as I feel that you all think I was trying to "con" the insurance system. My mother would have used the car nearly every day, so really it would have been a 50/50 split on the insurance, in fact she would have probably used it more than me and been the main driver, but due to the "3 day" policy by Liverpool Victoria we've now decided otherwise and will continue sharing my Dad's transport.

Please for one moment don't think I was just doing it to con the insurers, ok I was trying 2 get my premium down, now I just have to bite the bullet and pay for it. It was just to inform those who already had, that this could be in the small print of their insurance and as has been said, will invalidate it if they are found to be doing otherwsie. :)

Well at the end of the day it's the parent who loses their no claims and goes back to scratch when their darling brat crashes. I can see why it's a temptation with today's stupidly high insurance although I do think it's wrong and darling brat will have to get a little car again at some point when they have to start standing on their own two feet.

Most people will disagree with that as the majority are probably under their parents name.

Convince me otherwise and tell me the benefits and drawbacks of doing it this way, please dont say its cheaper because if you cant afford the insurance you dont buy the car IMO

your just pissed cos people are getting cheaper insurance than you..

You can't just say that someone being insured on someone elses policy is illegal, silly, smelly, will cause uncontrollable farting etc, but it all totally depends on the policy.

for example, direct line have for ages given no claims discount to named drivers..whats wrong with that?

If i had the chance to have been put on as a named driver on a policy that gave me NCB when i first passed, i bloody would've done.

My housemate pays i think about £150 to insure his 52 plate pug206 quicksilver - i'd be chuffed with a price 4 times that!

Trust me - you have no idea the lengths insurance companies are prepared to go to investigate you. They will question your neighbours, and follow you. Big brother is watching you

conversly, you'll be suprised how much some of them don't give a crap. When a mate of mine wrote his car off, me and him were at the garage removing aftermarket (undeclared) items from his car and the insurance inspector turned up. There was a whole pile of insurance voiding bits on the floor. Result - car written off, cheque in the post.

arc said:
for example, direct line have for ages given no claims discount to named drivers..whats wrong with that?

AFAIK, this NCD is not recognised by any other insurance co., only by Direct Line themselves.....................

arc said:
your just pissed cos people are getting cheaper insurance than you..

im payin 568 atm with norwich union 21 y.o 1yr NCB will be reduced to 372 in july when i get 2 yr NCB. Can you better that???

If anyone can better that on an 01 sei for a 21 y.o id like for the insurers phone number cos i couldnt match that

This is the point im trying to make. There wont be many insurers who can better on own. Unless you are an older driver or have more NCB

Last edited:
Helz said:
Well at the end of the day it's the parent who loses their no claims and goes back to scratch when their darling brat crashes. I can see why it's a temptation with today's stupidly high insurance although I do think it's wrong and darling brat will have to get a little car again at some point when they have to start standing on their own two feet.
Charming...

i am paying £2800 in my own name third party fire and theft, i had an accident in my first car, it was a peugeot 306, accident was apprently my fault but we'll not go into that, now i have to renew my policy in june, i started gettin quotes for my 1.2 stilo, under my own name fully comp is going to be £6100 :bang: and i am turning 19 in august, so the only way i can afford insure is if i go under my mothers name on the stilo and it will still be £2000

chaos said:
AFAIK, this NCD is not recognised by any other insurance co., only by Direct Line themselves.....................

nope, you're wrong on that one.

AppleSei said:
im payin 568 atm with norwich union 21 y.o 1yr NCB will be reduced to 372 in july when i get 2 yr NCB. Can you better that???

can you find anyone who'll insure a 22 year old with 2 yr NCB on a 2002 1.4 16v 206 on their own policy for £150 ?

But as for can I better your quote.. well, going off the way you phrased that you're a tad presumptuous about my insurance. fyi, i have my own policy - which cost me around a grand for the first year, it dropped this year, but then i fitted a new engine so it went back up again.

insurance cost is all about risk, tucked away on someone elses policy - risk is spread a bit, so price its lowered accordingly.

I have to say, looking at some of the prices you lot are paying on yours under your own name, I don't feel so bad now. Take for example that quote on the 1.2 Stilo at £2800 TPFT, I have a 1.9JTD Doblo that's 2 years old, and my quote is near enough £2000 Fully Comp! :confused: Crazy! I must say, I feel sorry for you guys! :(

As I said earlier, my aim of the post was just to warn some drivers of what could be in their small print as I found out, lucily I read it before taking out the policy!

Back