Insured on someone elses policy

Currently reading:
Insured on someone elses policy

well thats the difference between the mainland and northern ireland our insure is through the roof, i got a quote in england for me, and i said i come over to northern ireland once and month and i was quoted £1900 fully comp including my accident and penalty points

if i'd have been insured on my own policy for all of my cars when i was 17 i'd have been paying over £10000 a year (and thats not declaring the pair of weber DCOEs on my astra mk2, and another weber DCOE on my mini). i pay like £700 tax as it is, and MOTs must cost another £400. not quite possible on a student budget.

my dad doesnt mind me using his name and me as 2nd driver, as long as i ring up and sort it all out. his NCB is protected, so i dont see why it affects anyone. when i turn 21 im getting a policy which allows me to drive anything up to 2l, but at the moment i only insure 2 cars in my own name, costing 900 (im 20) and the rest on my dads are about 200 each.

thats £2800 a year, without service/parts/petrol costs. and i dont live at home (most of the time), i rent a flat in the centre of manchester @ £82 pw.

at uni all week, and work at pizza hut at the weekends. and yes i pay for most of it (my dad is paying for one inc tax and mot, because it was a birthday present - the funds, not the car). think i earn about £6000-8000 a year, doing weekends and holidays.

arc said:
But as for can I better your quote.. well, going off the way you phrased that you're a tad presumptuous about my insurance. fyi, i have my own policy - which cost me around a grand for the first year, it dropped this year, but then i fitted a new engine so it went back up again.

it wasnt meant to sound like that.

It was more in the way of 'can you please give me the name of insurers' :D

I would know your insurance would have been cheper as your car is 5/6 yrs older than mine so i knew you would better it thats why i put all the parameters in to counteract it. E.g. it had to be a 21 yr old on an 01 sei sporting.

No offence intended at all :)

P.S who is your mate insured with and is he 21 or older?

AFAIK one company is offering a discount for second cars as well as NCB for named drivers.

If that doesnt shout 'YOUNG KIDS INSURE IN YOUR PARENTS NAME' i dont know what does!

black_cinq said:
AFAIK one company is offering a discount for second cars as well as NCB for named drivers.

If that doesnt shout 'YOUNG KIDS INSURE IN YOUR PARENTS NAME' i dont know what does!

directline offer discount for second cars but i think your main car has to be insured with them aswell :(

i never thought about insuring my 2nd car in my dads name, i wouldnt use it that often so i see no problem doing so :chin: :D

Roperman said:
if i'd have been insured on my own policy for all of my cars when i was 17 i'd have been paying over £10000 a year (and thats not declaring the pair of weber DCOEs on my astra mk2, and another weber DCOE on my mini). i pay like £700 tax as it is, and MOTs must cost another £400. not quite possible on a student budget.

my dad doesnt mind me using his name and me as 2nd driver, as long as i ring up and sort it all out. his NCB is protected, so i dont see why it affects anyone. when i turn 21 im getting a policy which allows me to drive anything up to 2l, but at the moment i only insure 2 cars in my own name, costing 900 (im 20) and the rest on my dads are about 200 each.

thats £2800 a year, without service/parts/petrol costs. and i dont live at home (most of the time), i rent a flat in the centre of manchester @ £82 pw.

at uni all week, and work at pizza hut at the weekends. and yes i pay for most of it (my dad is paying for one inc tax and mot, because it was a birthday present - the funds, not the car). think i earn about £6000-8000 a year, doing weekends and holidays.

How many cars do you have?

AppleSei said:
it wasnt meant to sound like that.

It was more in the way of 'can you please give me the name of insurers' :D

I would know your insurance would have been cheper as your car is 5/6 yrs older than mine so i knew you would better it thats why i put all the parameters in to counteract it. E.g. it had to be a 21 yr old on an 01 sei sporting.

No offence intended at all :)

P.S who is your mate insured with and is he 21 or older?

no worries (y)

house mate is insured with direct line, and hes 22 i think

my car is under my dads buisness insurance he has 7 vehicles on it and they are all insured in his name obviously, and all the vehicles are to be driven by anyone at anytime over21 under 21 named which is me ,, would you say thats ok as i do work for him :confused:

chaos said:
How many cars do you have?
just 6 at the moment. scrapped my astra in january. am named on my dads as well for some reason. you dont want to know what they are (seriously), except one i own is a fiat panda 4x4. 4 are 80s austins... and a cavalier for the motorway miles.

AppleSei said:
Convince me otherwise and tell me the benefits and drawbacks of doing it this way, please dont say its cheaper because if you cant afford the insurance you dont buy the car IMO
Is Applesei AndrewR from FCCUK? :D
Just coincidence I read one post after the other...
H

pros:

• More people can be insured on one car. I share a lot of my cars with my dad, and one with a mate and 1 with my gran. he borrows them too, uses them for load lugging, or doing dirty work like taking stuff to the tip, or just for fun. I actually share one with my gran, because she only drives when my grandad is ill, and she takes one of mine because she doesnt like driving his, and its cheaper for her.
  • Enables some people to actually get insurance. I couldnt even get a quote on a 1.6 cavalier(!) from most places until i turned 20, no points, no convictions etc
  • allows me to have excesses, ie windscreen etc, most dont give you the option till your 21 or 25.
cons:
  • some policies dont give 2nd driver NCB
  • you need someone who trusts you not to go write it off (ive only been in 1 accident, got rear ended sat waiting for children to cross at a zebra crossing (with handbrake on, stationary) by a speeding driver without insurance. he gave me £400 cash so that i didnt go through the legal way - car cost me about £50)

yeah i know. they really annoy me now, too many of them, most of them have done it for years too.

i still drive the car though, after over 2 years. only needed a new bumper, which i was about to change anyway coz i had a better spare in my garage. i was just happy to get £400 out of him.
wasnt sure he was uninsured, but its a lot of money for the damage involved. he firstly asked me to produce my insurance if i had it on me, which i did for some reason, and it suprised him. asked him for his and he gave me £400 instead. i think he just wanted me to be quiet.

i was 3rd party and they would just have written the car off anyway if i went through insurance.

AppleSei said:
Based on Ozzies thread below i thought i would start this thread to see other peoples views.

Personally I dont like a load of people going under anyones name on insurance. One or two is fine but not like a whole family

I think it is a loophole in the insurance system and i am a firm believer in if you want to buy a car, you insure it yourself in your name i have from day one and never even ever considering going under anyones name.

Most people will disagree with that as the majority are probably under their parents name.

Convince me otherwise and tell me the benefits and drawbacks of doing it this way, please dont say its cheaper because if you cant afford the insurance you dont buy the car IMO

Discuss :)
you dont like it>?

you sound jealous

Back