Insurance

Currently reading:
Insurance

Is this right

If you've got 6 years no claims on one car, for every other car that you buy you have to start from scratch again?

Eg:

Car A - 6 years no claims

Car B - Start from scratch

I tried to insure another vehicle with a different company and stated that I had 6 years no claims. They sent out the certificate etc and a covering letter asking me to prove my 6 years - but then they stated that you can only have your no claims on one car...?

You only build up no claims on one vehicle. If you buy a second car you start from scratch again, although many insurers will give you some discount on the second car for your good claim record.

Is this right

If you've got 6 years no claims on one car, for every other car that you buy you have to start from scratch again?

Eg:

yes, some companies do a multicar that is supposed to give the discount on all but id rather run seperate, i have 2 sets of full ncd

Ye its true,

my dad has his 9 yrs NCB on his renault, and has none on his recently purchased Z4,

You can only have your NCB on 1 policy, but on the second policy you can build up your NCB on that too :)

So what happens if;

CAR A - 9years NCB
CAR B - 5 years NCB

Smash up car A, you loose 9 years NCB, you can still use the 5 years NCB which won't be affected will it :confused:

And NCB cert's. Valid for 2 years are they not?

What if I have Cert that says 1 years NCB from on company, went to another, and then lost NCB, but they didn't ask for proof so I still have cert?

Could I go to another company when policy is over and say I've 1YNCB as I've still the cert from previous company?

I recently got insured using lapsed no claims (protected) after an accident. I just sent the old sheet in and a letter saying I hadn't made a claim since my previous one and that was sufficient.

I have 2 cars, 5years ncb (protected) on one and 1year on the other (complete with reduction down to full ncb because I have full ncb on the other policy). The accident is declared on both but the claim is only declared on the ncb I'd made the claim on (not the policy because it's now a different complany, just to confuse matters!). I assume this is right because I haven't claimed on car B's insurance.

The accident is declared on both but the claim is only declared on the ncb I'd made the claim on (not the policy because it's now a different complany, just to confuse matters!). I assume this is right because I haven't claimed on car B's insurance.

Accident and claim are the same thing when notifying them are they not :confused:

How you declair the accident to one, and then it as a claim to another?

Is this right

Eg:

Yep....been on the recieving end of that.
I was lucky with an older second car I switched it to classic insurance.
Did not use or generate NCD.
If your second car is 18-20yrs and you go for limited millage, <5K, this might be an option.

The accident is declared on both but the claim is only declared on the ncb I'd made the claim on (not the policy because it's now a different complany, just to confuse matters!). I assume this is right because I haven't claimed on car B's insurance.
You need to declare the accident to any potential insurer as its part of your driving history which they use to assess the risk they are taking on. They then take into account where you live, how old you are etc etc to arrive at a premium.

They then give you a no claims bonus based NOT on your driving record but on how many times an insurer has to pay out. In practice I would declare everything to every insurer as you are legally obliged to give them all the information necessary for them to properly assess the risk. The last thing you want is to give them an excuse to void cover if you need to make a big claim.

Back