Insurance Write Off Categories ?

Currently reading:
Insurance Write Off Categories ?

New one on me. Can you advise where you've found this out, out of interest.

B - break for parts only normally
A - Destroy whole.

Only time I can see a CAT B being able to go on the road is if it's written off by a 3rd party's insurer and you've refused to let them have salvage. Can't be sold by a scrappy as far as I'm aware.

its a little agreement between the insurance companys/scrappys that they should be broken, its not a legal thing, therefore if you do happen to get hold of a cat b ( various ways you can end up with one in your posession) then it just needs MOT and vic check and away you go

Ok, so 'some' and 'if the buyer fails to inform them', we know insurance companies will look for any way out of paying so of course they'll withhold if the policy holder isn't upfront!

However there is no legal responsibility for a car owner to do a HPi check on their car and see if its been a previous write off. So not nessecarily proper none disclosure.

so some companies wont cover them in the first place so if you crash it you're not insured anyway, and others won't cover you if you fail to declare the car has been accident damaged and categorised in the past.......

so not what you said at all then

ok just saying i wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with an insurance company that later found out my car had already been a cat d.

do you think they would pay out the normal market value for a car that had been a cat d or c earlier in it's life?

Scenario?? what scenario??

They pay out a reduced rate for cat d and c vehicles regardless of if the owner is aware of the fact or not. If they didnt and paid full market value it would encourage fraud. People would be buying cat d and c vehicles at way below market values insuring them and then`arranging` for them to go missing or get `accidently` written off, then expecting the insurance companies to pay out full market value for them. Its a very old and well known scam.

Its for a similar reason reason some insurance companies wont touch cat c and d in that it is very difficult to place an accurate value on them if they have to pay out on them.

ok just saying i wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with an insurance company that later found out my car had already been a cat d.

do you think they would pay out the normal market value for a car that had been a cat d or c earlier in it's life?

i got a mk1 punto for my son a few years back was cat D repaired, he crashed it, got double what i paid for it back off insurance.
was a fault claim too, they are worth the same as a non cat car, just because you buy cheap dont mean they can say its worth less or they will have to sell you the policy cheaper, if you buy cars at trade price they are still insured for retail value.

Last edited:
Scenario?? what scenario??

They pay out a reduced rate for cat d and c vehicles regardless of if the owner is aware of the fact or not. If they didnt and paid full market value it would encourage fraud. People would be buying cat d and c vehicles at way below market values insuring them and then`arranging` for them to go missing or get `accidently` written off, then expecting the insurance companies to pay out full market value for them. Its a very old and well known scam.

Its for a similar reason reason some insurance companies wont touch cat c and d in that it is very difficult to place an accurate value on them if they have to pay out on them.

Scenario...the scenario as to if the claim is against your own insurance policy or a third parties for starters. This ultimately defines if they can get away with paying you market value, which could be seen a next to nothing, or if they've actually got to put you back in the position your in before a claim, in which case market value can become irrelevant ;)

Although I do hear what your saying about fraud.

Last edited:
they've actually got to put you back in the position your in before a claim, in which case market value can become irrelevant ;)

Yeah....and the position is you want recompense for a cat c/d car that is worth substantialy less than a non cat c/d car. This is where the problems start, how much is a cat d car worth against a similar non cat d car? But what makes you think they will pay you more than the car was worth in the first place?

Lets say you went out and bought say....a repaired cat d A3, you pay 15 k for it when a non cat d A3 of similar age/miles is worth about 20k. Somone runs into the back of you at the lights and its totaled.......are you telling me that their insurance company would without question or issue pay you the full 20k market value for the car leaving you 5k up on the deal and in a far better position than you were in before the accident?

Yeah....and the position is you want recompense for a cat c/d car that is worth substantialy less than a non cat c/d car. This is where the problems start, how much is a cat d car worth against a similar non cat d car? But what makes you think they will pay you more than the car was worth in the first place?

Lets say you went out and bought say....a repaired cat d A3, you pay 15 k for it when a non cat d A3 of similar age/miles is worth about 20k. Somone runs into the back of you at the lights and its totaled.......are you telling me that their insurance company would without question or issue pay you the full 20k market value for the car leaving you 5k up on the deal and in a far better position than you were in before the accident?

what you pay is irreverent, if you buy a tv 50% off in a sale and your house gets robbed insurance don't just give you half the value for a new tv. if you happened to find a cat d car for 5k less than others were selling for at the time you got it it don't mean you can find another tomorrow, so they will have to give you full market value

what you pay is irreverent, if you buy a tv 50% off in a sale and your house gets robbed insurance don't just give you half the value for a new tv. if you happened to find a cat d car for 5k less than others were selling for at the time you got it it don't mean you can find another tomorrow, so they will have to give you full market value

TVs and cars?? I fail to see any comparision. You will have to spell it out for me...... For how long exactly has building contents insurance worked in the same way car insurance does. Do they do 3rd party and fully comp? Do they have hire Tvs and hourly TV repair costs to consider in the costs before making payouts? Where do we stand on secondhand values and stolen/recovered TVs? and is a previously repaired TV worth as much as non repaired one???. :confused:

And while we are at it how long has current market availabilty been a factor in deciding how much a potential payout is worth on a used car?

Basically if your own insurer, then like you say they only have to give you market value, which is where the value becomes questionable an potentially an issue.

Dave is sort of on the right line. If a 3rd parties insurer they have to put you back into the position you were in before with no financial loss. If that means they have to better you by enabling you to buy a like for like none V-car registered car because another CAT C/D isn't available then thats their decision, and something they will have to consider when deciding if to go for total loss, or repair the vehicle in question.

I'm sure someone on here got a Cat-C Stilo back on the road, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

I've done a cat C stilo....so easy no chassis damage or it would've been cat B this isnt the first nor the last write off i will do, Just be careful because a cat C stilo is about £1500 whereas a cat C new bmw is gonna be about £15000 because it depends on the vehicle value.

Cat C has been the best for me quick VIC (vehicle identity check) they just check engine and chassis numbers match for the registration of the car. but with cat C you dont have to pay the extra £50 for the v5 but you do pay £100 pounds in tests (MOT&VIC)

Hope this helps.

Check this website for write offs (where i buy mine) "www.salvagesparefinder.com"

I purchased an Alfa 147(very similar to the GT) recently, I liked it but the missus changed her mind so it had to go.

A 2.4L XC90 Executive is what I'm looking to buy now. Had change to drive one a few weeks ago and for the second time ever me and the missus both liked it. The Stilo is the only other car me and the missus both like. :shrug:

Seen a few I like but with a funeral, a wedding 4 birthdays and then Christmas I think it will be the new year before my wallet has the ability to allow me to spend £5000 - £7000 on a car ... :(

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back