Insurance on mk1 punto sporting.

Currently reading:
Insurance on mk1 punto sporting.

Baxendale

Just bought a mk1 1.2 punto sporting abarth. Been looking at insurance and on my own its £169 a month with a £400 deposit. If the car goes in my mum's name and the insurance goes in my mum's name but then add me to the policy as the main driver its only £120 a month with a £300 deposit? Would this be considered as fraud as the car will be my mum's as far as the law is concerned? My mum will be driving it occasionally although I will be driving it alot more. I'm only 17 so you know.. insurance was bound to be a bit of a bugger.

Cheers.

It's called fronting...unfortunately insurance is going to be sky-high for you...isn't exactly cheap for me lol (to fair, I have only had my license a year lol).

Can't remember who said it (was someone on here) - but cheap insurance is the only good thing about getting old lol

Just out of curiosity, who have you looked at?

It's called fronting...unfortunately insurance is going to be sky-high for you...isn't exactly cheap for me lol (to fair, I have only had my license a year lol).

Can't remember who said it (was someone on here) - but cheap insurance is the only good thing about getting old lol

Just out of curiosity, who have you looked at?

Surely not though, because I am declaring that I am the main driver of the vehicle, it's just my mums car but she doesn't use it much so I use it?

Quinn Direct always comes out cheapest for me.

you tried adrian flux?

and go on your own policy, you will save in the long run.

Just this minute tried so will probs be monday until I get the quote now I imagine.. i've got the same car as you, just different wheels really ;)

Just this minute tried so will probs be monday until I get the quote now I imagine.. i've got the same car as you, just different wheels really ;)

you have to phone adrian flux up for a real quote.

there email quotes were always silly expensive for me.

i think my policy was around £1800 at 17 in a bad area too.

Last edited:
you have to phone adrian flux up for a real quote.

there email quotes were always silly expensive for me.

i think my policy was around £1800 at 17 in a bad area too.

Oh right, will do monday.

So what I described above, is it legal or is it fronting?

it is illegal, if you got some arse hole copper then he could report you.

Hmm yeah, but as far as there concered it's my mum's car, she's got an insurance policy on it with me on, although I'm down as the main driver because she uses her other car more. I see where your coming from, but I don't see how it's illegal, as it's not asif I'm saying I'm not the main driver and actually driving it more than my mum, like alot of people do.

Hmm yeah, but as far as there concered it's my mum's car, she's got an insurance policy on it with me on, although I'm down as the main driver because she uses her other car more. I see where your coming from, but I don't see how it's illegal, as it's not asif I'm saying I'm not the main driver and actually driving it more than my mum, like alot of people do.

as long as the policy says you are main driver it is fine.

I was going to go down the same route as you Baxendale, also being 17. Insurance is stupid for us.
I was getting quotes of around £100, however not the sporting, that would be in my In Mums name with Father named like me, car in my name, her as main driver ( i know i know it's different to you)
I decided against it as the Police would know that it's clearly my car, and I would use it more than Mum..
We decided against it in the end though as better to have your own insurance; my main point is that I can't wait to earn the NCB (fingers crossed)- cheaper insurance year after etc..
Although you are in one hell of a situation with the sporting, group 7 is bad for a first car, mines group 4 and still bad! Friends corsa 16vs are group 2!
Although what you are suggesting is legit, I would have a think about what to do - cheapish insurance now but not get that much cheaper or pay ALOT now thn gradually go down in years to come!
sticky situation :)

I was going to go down the same route as you Baxendale, also being 17. Insurance is stupid for us.
I was getting quotes of around £100, however not the sporting, that would be in my In Mums name with Father named like me, car in my name, her as main driver ( i know i know it's different to you)
I decided against it as the Police would know that it's clearly my car, and I would use it more than Mum..
We decided against it in the end though as better to have your own insurance; my main point is that I can't wait to earn the NCB (fingers crossed)- cheaper insurance year after etc..
Although you are in one hell of a situation with the sporting, group 7 is bad for a first car, mines group 4 and still bad! Friends corsa 16vs are group 2!
Although what you are suggesting is legit, I would have a think about what to do - cheapish insurance now but not get that much cheaper or pay ALOT now thn gradually go down in years to come!
sticky situation :)

Hi there, high insurance doesn't give us much of an option really, and they wonder why people drive with no insurance. I'll admit group 7 insurance is very high for a first car, but what I don't understand is that it's a 1.2 and so high on insurance. I don't see how corsa's and other various small engined cars on the market are made so much cheaper to insure, but hey.. that's the way it is. I think for the first few months I'll go on my mums until I get a bit more money to myself, although I agree with what your saying with having your own policy, earning your own no claims bonus etc. Cheers for the reply anyway, helped me alot.

Just bought a mk1 1.2 punto sporting abarth. Been looking at insurance and on my own its £169 a month with a £400 deposit. If the car goes in my mum's name and the insurance goes in my mum's name but then add me to the policy as the main driver its only £120 a month with a £300 deposit? Would this be considered as fraud as the car will be my mum's as far as the law is concerned? My mum will be driving it occasionally although I will be driving it alot more. I'm only 17 so you know.. insurance was bound to be a bit of a bugger.

Cheers.

You sure that's how they're seeing it?

If your main driver I doubt they'd be making it cheaper that way.

Surely not though, because I am declaring that I am the main driver of the vehicle, it's just my mums car but she doesn't use it much so I use it?

Depend if they're defo aware that YOU are main driver.

it is illegal, if you got some arse hole copper then he could report you.

Why? What for? Its a matter between you and your insurance company. Police can't do you for nothing as your insured. It's not illegal until insurance co decide to siece (sp?) cover, and your still driving, or they've voided 3rd party liability in the event of an accident.

As I've commented above, but I'd get them to confirm what you've been saying in writing to cover yourself.

as long as the policy says you are main driver it is fine.

:yeahthat:

Back