Technical Instrument cluster

Currently reading:
Technical Instrument cluster

Sergio

Hi, Anyone knows how to open the instrument cluster in order to get to the clock and clean it's hands? mine is dirty to the point where I can't read the time.

Thanks,

Next to the clock, there is a small plastic strip. Remove it with a screwdriver (it slides off) and underneath you'll find two screws.Unscrew them. Also, there are two other screws underneath the speaker. Unscrew them and the dashboard will come off.

I did just that, but when I pulled the whole thing it didn't come out, so I didn't try anymore. Do you have to pull hard? Are there many connectors behind to pry-off?

Thanks

No, you don't have to pull hard. Keep in mind that after you unscrew all the screws, the dashboard is held by 4 clips which you must undo very carefully in order not to brake them....so you see, its a matter of technique and not strength.....

Sorry to laugh but - what a problem! The clock needs its hands washed... How on earth do they get dirty? ;-)

Did you get all four screws (the two at each end?) As Maxximilian says, it's just a matter of technique after that... almost massaging it with your hands.

You will find, as you pull it out, that the shortest item is not the wiring but the pipe that goes to the economy meter (presumably next to your clock). This requires careful but firm 'teasing' - try winding it around a finger and levering against your knuckle. Seriously! I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to pull something off/apart having gone to all that trouble.

With the instrument panel out, there are a number of small black screws to remove the instruments from the black surround. A couple near the top (I think) and a number along the bottom. Some are 'disguised'. Be VERY careful pulling the black surround plastic away, as there may always be a screw or two that you missed!

Sometimes the gauges themselves have to come off in a particular order, e.g. you might have to remove the econometer first. Or, of course, you could just clean it in situ. Try washing-up liquid/water and cottonbuds I guess? Then try meths, finally isopropyl alcohol, I'm guessing that really what has happened is that the paint has faded. Correction fluid pen? The panel 'red' tends to fade as well. Not sure if it's worth fixing that. ;-)

-Alex

Back