Technical Inner CV joint

Currently reading:
Technical Inner CV joint

I'm well beyond my comfort zone so looking for some advice for changing the inner CV boot and understanding how it is put together. Sorry it's a bt of a stream of conciousness:

I've got the drive shaft out from under the car and it looks like this:
1648408182313.png

Does my new boot replace the brass coloured piece on the CV joint? If so, how do I remove it? I don't know whether those brass coloured pieces should remove easily or not as they don't seem to move and I don't want to apply unreasonable force if they're not supposed to come off.

Looking at the picture on the J&R website makes me think that they should come off. I assume the circlip is there to stop the drive shaft sliding out of the joint?
1648408370693.png

I took a look at the ePer diagram to help me. I believe that the part on the extreme left of my photo is part 7, the rusty part inserted into that is part 6 and my new CV boot is part 8.
1648408871762.png

Based on all of that I think I should be abe to tap off part 7. Remove the circlip (part 4), slide part 6 of the drive shaft, put my new boot (with grease) on to the drive shaft and then put part 6 back on, add the circlip and then part 7.

Obviously at this point I could just buy a split boot as it would be relatively easy to fit now that it is all accessible and can be cleaned. However, part of the point of doing these jobs myself is to try and learn more about how things work.

Oh, to add to my woes the boot on the lower ball joint has split and based on what @s130 said here https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/fiat-barchetta-lower-ball-joint-boot.491099/ it looks like two new arms might be order.

Persuaded myself that those ends should tap off and with a little encouragement with a hammer they do. For anyone who is interested the inner CV join breaks down like this:
1648538593012.png

The part in the centre come away first and then the small circlip holds the CV joint onto the shaft (groove shown below). There are rubber seal inset into grooves in the side of the joint that keep everything snug.
1648538627081.png

My new boot replaces the part on the right and so the assembled joint looks like this
1648539216858.png

I just need to get a clip for the boot on to the drive shaft and it's done. Oh and clean black grease off the pile of tools I've used. I'm going to order the lower arms today and then I can get the car back together and ready for MOT at last.

• Thanks
Reactions: tjr
Really interesting. Thanks for sharing. It's one of those things on my long list of jobs and this will definitely help when I get round to it. Well done on getting it sorted!

Persuaded myself that those ends should tap off and with a little encouragement with a hammer they do. For anyone who is interested the inner CV join breaks down like this:
View attachment 404301
The part in the centre come away first and then the small circlip holds the CV joint onto the shaft (groove shown below). There are rubber seal inset into grooves in the side of the joint that keep everything snug.
View attachment 404302
My new boot replaces the part on the right and so the assembled joint looks like this
View attachment 404303
I just need to get a clip for the boot on to the drive shaft and it's done. Oh and clean black grease off the pile of tools I've used. I'm going to order the lower arms today and then I can get the car back together and ready for MOT at last.
Thanks for this, if and when I end up doing it on the daughters b, I would prol have wrecked it. I've done it a bunch of times on Passats, and the clip on those don't need to be removed. With force they recede into their groove. I can see myself smacking that thing into pieces before realising the construction is different on the b...

Back