Incentive for rep nominations

Currently reading:
Incentive for rep nominations

Just a thought, but there seem to be lots of helpful posts by members, which do not receive any rep.

As the rep system is now, members are supposed to nominate each other for rep, and a mod decides whether it is worthy of it...(which is a class idea (y) )......if members bother to take the time to report the posts, that is. :rolleyes:

So i was thinking, is it possible to give an incentive to members to report helpful posts?

Any ideas?

Also, i think there is confusion among some as to how helpful posts are reported...Just click 'report this post to a moderator' underneath the helpful post in question. Then state clearly why it was helpful to you, or in some cases for the person who prompted the helpful response. :) Just to clarify, good reputation is only awarded for helpful posts on CAR related topics. Bad rep, however, will be awarded for lack of car knowledge :devil:

Last edited:
For starters, a new user who posted a problem on here wouldn't even recognise the rep system, and just be grateful to get some advice.

I am sure Ben can change the way it works, however.

Atm, Gaz is top repper (y)

joecinq said:
…I know eventually someone will get 2 bars…

…Is there a way of sorting the rep bars, so that it is easier to distinguish between the level of helpfulness?
:confused: How much rep is needed to get past 1 bar ( :p without being a MOD)?

icon2.gif
There are one or two guys in Uno section whose posts always deserve rep (in my mind) – Yet one of them had no rep till I passed it the other day.

Then there are Loads of odd posts that also deserve rep too. :confused: :confused: :spin:

Exactly, i think ben knows how much, but i think it would work better if it was easier to distinguish between the number of points.

BUT as stu says, new members are not likely to notice the rep system anyways.

It is to show recognition to those helpful people,to show that their posts are of some use to us. This is the incentive for members to take the time to help out. After all what is a car forum, if there aren't members helping out others with car issues.

I think awareness is key to this system working, but even still it seems there needs to be an incentive for people to nominate. (for me, its that warm fuzzy feeling inside ;) )

I've given plenty of advice and not recieved rep. But to be fair I don't give a toss. Mainly because I don't think new members who ask for advice would check rep points to see if the info they're receiving is more likely to be reliable

I think Sie means he hasn't got as much as he should have done considering the amount of useful posts he has made :) Sie you need to get yourself a rep buddy so you can give each other rep when no-one else does. I would say it's working rather well so far ;)

I appreciate what you're saying. Helz was spot on, btw Dave!lol

What gets me though is that it's only established members of the forum that realise the system is there. Many people that benefit from rep are new members who post one question, get answered, then hardly return again.

Could it be included with the welcoming info for new members?

I have heard something about building up your rep & other peoples...

But I wasnt sure how to help other people with theirs !!... I thought:

''Report this post to a moderator''

...Was if somebody was misbehaving & needed a warning :p , will bare that in mind now & help people out. (y)

crazy_cinq! said:
I have heard something about building up your rep & other peoples...

But I wasnt sure how to help other people with theirs !!... I thought:

''Report this post to a moderator''

...Was if somebody was misbehaving & needed a warning :p , will bare that in mind now & help people out. (y)

I think everyone has thought the same :)

Is it possible to change?

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

as its kinda misleading, if the system is used for rep aswell.

mase said:
and wat about personal help with somethin through PM?

i mean if a member gives good advice personally rather than through a public message there should b some way of gettin rep for that as well IMO!

we encourage people to help across the forum rather than PM as they could be helping others out at the same time.

AFAIK the way we gve rep is by repping a post which was helpful so please can people post on the forum if its car stuff which might help other members

Definately with sammiboo on that, but what i think mase was refering to was a chat i had with him.

He gave me alot of help on my springs, which before he pointed out, i thought were standard. He went on to tell me exactly what they were, and was very knowledgeable about the whole thing. BUT the conversation didn't start out as a question on springs.

Cheers mase (y)

Last edited:
joecinq said:
Definately with sammiboo on that, but what i think mase was refering to was a chat i had with him.

He gave me alot of help on my springs, which before he pointed out, i thought were standard. He went on to tell me exactly what they were, and was very knowledgeable about the whole thing. BUT the conversation didn't start out as a question on springs.

Cheers mase (y)

hehe no probs man... just glad to help! (y)

and that was my point, for occasions like that where the chat only moved onto the springs before the help was given, just seemed a little silly to start a post about it.

i do c wat u are saying an think help more people out at the same time is def the best way to go, but on some occasions that isnt possible, just due to the way the convo goes!

Back