Incentive for rep nominations

Currently reading:
Incentive for rep nominations

Just a thought, but there seem to be lots of helpful posts by members, which do not receive any rep.

As the rep system is now, members are supposed to nominate each other for rep, and a mod decides whether it is worthy of it...(which is a class idea (y) )......if members bother to take the time to report the posts, that is. :rolleyes:

So i was thinking, is it possible to give an incentive to members to report helpful posts?

Any ideas?

Also, i think there is confusion among some as to how helpful posts are reported...Just click 'report this post to a moderator' underneath the helpful post in question. Then state clearly why it was helpful to you, or in some cases for the person who prompted the helpful response. :) Just to clarify, good reputation is only awarded for helpful posts on CAR related topics. Bad rep, however, will be awarded for lack of car knowledge :devil:

Last edited:
My problem is I only have basic levels of knowledge so tend to give advice to new members who don't know about the rep system. I know rep isn't the be all and end all of giving advice but at least I make the effort! Perhaps the mods should be checking posts in their respective sections and giving rep where they see necessary? I mean the Bravo/a section, where I tend to post hasn't exactly got millions of posts and if I can manage to read them all every few days, I don't see why the mod(s?) can't do the same?

I know what you mean helz :eek: Maybe broaden the definition of a rep worthy post?

'A helpful post on a car related topic'?

This would be helpful because not every member of the forum is a mechanic....

I thought that was the definition of rep anyway! I got a thank you PM from someone the other day for giving advice which they found to be very helpful, sadly, no rep because they were new and I'm not going to stoop so low as to ask for it. I haven't asked any embarrassingly stupid questions recently, so haven't given any but there will be a spurt of questions over the summer and as an incentive for answering them, I will give people rep, howzat? :D

I try to report ALL helpfull posts i see ;) even if i didn't ask the question :p

Agreed, asking for your own rep is definately not the way forward :eek:

Theres no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer ;)

EDIT- the other day, mase gave me some quality help through PM's, but i can't him any rep :(

Helz said:
Tell you what Joe, you show me where youre helpful posts are and I'll show you where my helpful posts are and then we can nominate each other for rep for all of them? That's surely within the rules isn't it :D

deal (y)

Although, this thread isn't for me, just a general feeling i get from people.

Helz said:
Tell you what Joe, you show me where youre helpful posts are and I'll show you where my helpful posts are and then we can nominate each other for rep for all of them? That's surely within the rules isn't it :D
You can nominate all you like - still needs a mod to give you rep :p

My paypal details are as follows.........

Helz said:
As a moderator Stu, you haven't really answered the question in the first post......
Well spotted.

Considering this thread only 1 hour old, and fact I am rushing through 70 new posts and backstage reports before getting out into the garden/sun, I haven't really given much thought to the extra incentive idea.

Also, even if I did come up with an answer, that is not to say it is the solution.

@ Alfie - I know ;)

@ Joe - see you later :D

Alfie said:
why just cars then?

isnt it justtified to recieve recognition for helping someone out with a computing problem as it is with a car problem?

This view is shared by many, the argument against is something like....this is a car forum, members should be given rep depending on the help they provide on car topics...

I haven't picked a point of view on it, and i will sit on the fence for now :)

Exactly - as custard stated, the first round of rep was heavily abused - Lora was the most helpful person on the FIAT Forum?

Being a car forum, any new users should ideally see what members have given good car rep in the past. NOW if it was a computer forum.....

I still think this system is still flawed, thinking about it.... Everyone who has rep, is still on one bar! To a new user, it would look like I know as much about cars as someone like rallycinq! :eek: I know eventually someone will get 2 bars, but even still does 2/5 bars justify the person 'car knowledge'?

Is there a way of sorting the rep bars, so that it is easier to distinguish between the level of helpfulness?

Back