General In a dither! Do I trade in my 4yr old 500??

Currently reading:
General In a dither! Do I trade in my 4yr old 500??

Dealer I brought my new 08 500 from rang yesterday to say that they had a good deal on the new 500's and would I be interested in trading mine in?
Well we had been thinking about it but........not too seriously as I have had a detachable towbar fitted and also have a personalised plate so could be a bit of a bother sorting all that out!
I am liking the new colour therapy colours tho and they are matching the £500 that fiat are offering off at the minute!
The car has done nearly 28000 miles , just been serviced and had m.o.t. :rolleyes:

Just don't know what to do now? Also thinking about doing the finance thing where you have it for four years then hand back and get another new one........decisions decisions.........advice on any of the above would be great!
Off to see dealer for a 'chat' in the morning.
One other thing.....are there any updates due for the 500 in the near future that I should wait for??

Thanks. suzi:confused:

Last edited:
Your only here once so I'd jump at the chance of a new car every 4 years. If something new does come out in that time you have the time to see of any problems before changing.

The dealer should be able to transfer your plate.

Their work shop should be able to transfer your tow bar.

A new car will handle better than your 08 car.

If the depreciation hit is not too bad when taking into account the discounts and incentives then, yes, why not?

I agree with all said above ,i traded mine in at 3yrs ,it really is your choice do the maths ask lots of questions like about your tow bar etc and if you can still do it then why not(y).

Thanks Guys!:)
Is the new colour therapy version a sort of pop but a better spec the first ones?
Am liking all the extra bits that come with it but then would want to add some of the lounge extras that I have on mine like the glass rood, split seats, headrest etc. but I know this means that if I go down the buying outright route it wil on,y be classed as a pop and the resale wouldn't be as much as if I went for the lounge!
Toying with the coffee cream colour and the chocolate seats........do the dealers have the new colours in the showroom yet?

Suzi

Is the new colour therapy version a sort of pop but a better spec the first ones?
Am liking all the extra bits that come with it but then would want to add some of the lounge extras that I have on mine like the glass rood, split seats, headrest etc. but I know this means that if I go down the buying outright route it wil on,y be classed as a pop and the resale wouldn't be as much as if I went for the lounge!
Toying with the coffee cream colour and the chocolate seats........do the dealers have the new colours in the showroom yet?

Suzi
Standard equipment:
Optional equipment:
Safety
ABS Brake assist system Two disc brakes Intelligent drivers airbag, intelligent passengers airbag with de-activation switch Seat belt with pre-tensioners on drivers seat and front passenger seat Two head restraints on front seats with height adjustment Isofix preparation Seat belt on driver side rear seat and passenger side rear seat Front side curtain airbags Front side airbag Halogen headlights Headlight controlsystems: height adjustment
£160 Foglights£270 Rear parking sensors£320 ESP (stability control system) including ASR/MSR and hill holder£609.6 Bi-xenon headlights
Comfort
Air conditioning Central door locking: Operated by remote Toned power door mirrors Front electric windows with one-touch on two windows Type speed proportional power steering Plastic steering wheel with tilt adjustment
£120 Body coloured electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors£730 Automatic climate control
Entertainment
Audio system with CD player that reads MP3 CDs ; radio receives AM/FM and RDS Six speakers
Interior
Driver and passenger seat: individual type Folding rear seats: bench type with space for two people; with zero electric adjustments Four seats configured 2+2 Cloth and cloth seat upholstery
£780 Leather interior
Exterior
Painted front and rear bumpers Toned power door mirrors Gloss paint Front and rear tyres: 14 inch diameter, 175mm wide, 65% profile, T rated ; Load index: 82 (official data) Front and rear wheels: 14 inch steel rims ; width: 5.5 inches
£290 No 475 Rock'n'Roll Blue special pastel paint£290 No 735 Tech House Grey special pastel paint£290 No 509 Tropicalia Yellow special pastel paint£290 No 111 Pasodoble Red (pastel paint)£290 No 952 Volare Blue special pastel paint£290 Special paint£320 15" Sport bi-coloured alloy wheels (not suitable for use with snow chains)£320 15" alloy wheels with 185/55 tyres£375 16" alloys with 195/45 tyres£450 No 407 Midnight Indigo Blue metallic paint£450 No 695 Electroclash Grey metallic paint£450 No 612 Breakbeat Grey metallic paint£450 Metallic Paint£450 No 876 Crossover Black metallic paint£740 No 164 Ragamuffin Red pearlescent paint£740 No 270 Funk White pearlescent paint

You will have to ring your dealers to see if any near you have any in to view!!:)

May I humbly suggest you transfer your own private plate? It isn't difficult, I've transferred mine three times in 11 years. It costs £80 each time you do it.

Then again, if you let the dealer do it, make sure they don't charge you some sort of commission for doing so. Personally, I wouldn't let them do the transfer, but that's just me. :)

May I humbly suggest you transfer your own private plate? It isn't difficult, I've transferred mine three times in 11 years. It costs £80 each time you do it.

Then again, if you let the dealer do it, make sure they don't charge you some sort of commission for doing so. Personally, I wouldn't let them do the transfer, but that's just me. :)

My last 4 cars I've transferred the plate myself on dealer advice, once you have the retention cert. it's easy for the dealer to put number on new car, but they seem to be steering away from doing the whole thing.

Dealer I brought my new 08 500 from rang yesterday to say that they had a good deal on the new 500's and would I be interested in trading mine in?
Well we had been thinking about it but........not too seriously as I have had a detachable towbar fitted and also have a personalised plate so could be a bit of a bother sorting all that out!
I am liking the new colour therapy colours tho and they are matching the £500 that fiat are offering off at the minute!
The car has done nearly 28000 miles , just been serviced and had m.o.t. :rolleyes:

Just don't know what to do now? Also thinking about doing the finance thing where you have it for four years then hand back and get another new one........decisions decisions.........advice on any of the above would be great!
Off to see dealer for a 'chat' in the morning.
One other thing.....are there any updates due for the 500 in the near future that I should wait for??

Thanks. suzi:confused:

Suzi

Looking at the coffee cream it's not up on the configurator yet so I would guess that it's not available.

Seems also that the only interiors available on the current colours are Pop interiors i.e. grey or red with the top half of the seat in white to match the white ambiance.

Therapy model basically comes with A/C and free colours which is different to the Pop along with Vintage hub caps.

If you are looking to add splits, glass roof, rear head restraints you're getting close to the Lounge but missing Chrome and alloys. Is there any colour on the Lounge that you would be happy with ?

If you're looking for a change of car 4 years sounds about 'right' whilst your current 500 is still worth 'good money' particularily in the 1.2 Lounge spec. But given the price of the new 500s if you wish to keep repayments down the Therapy might be a good option if they bring out the colour you want.

As regards updates the 500 will get a revamp with the suspension that's on the New Panda 2012 and mostly likely the structural re-enforcement from the North American 500. It's bound to be heavier and possibly more expensive.

EDIT: Is Coffee cream the 'New Age Cream' ? If it is then it's available.:eek:

Last edited:
Going to be really thick here........the car was registered with my plate so never had a 'normal' plate, so how do I go about transferring it? :confused:

Basically you use the correct 'V' forms to transfer your private plate to your new car. Irrespective of the fact that your car wasn't issued with a standard plate when you bought it, it will be assigned a registration mark by DVLA appropriate for its year.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/personalisedregandnumberplates/dg_4022576

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_10014577

If the dealer doesn't charge you extra to do it, if you really don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then it might be better to let the dealer do it for you.

Just tell the dealer that you want the reg to be transferred and you want them to do it. They will charge you £80, the same as it will cost if you do it.
They will tell you that it is easier for you to do it because they are lazy and don't want to do it.
I know this as many years ago I sold cars for a living and hated it when people had private plates as I had to go to the tax office to get it done.

When I changed from my old car to the 500 they did the plate for me and charged £80.

Back