General Fiat 500 2017 water in passenger footwell

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 2017 water in passenger footwell

scottybotty

I noticed excessive water in my passenger footwell and assumed it was a bottle of water. Dried it out and car has been sitting in the rain for a few days unused and now it's sodden again so must be rain coming in somewhere. I have checked the sun roof which is fine and am now trying to eliminate other sources - door seal seems fine too- I have put plastic under the top of the footwell to try to catch if water is coming from above. Any other suggestions before I have to take it to a garage. if I can pinpoint it might save some money and time :cry:
Many thanks for any suggestions (y)

Duck bills always first port of call for water in footwell! as John says! after that window seals,& check the rear washers working normally to see if supply pipe might be broken? and check radio ariel is sealed properly! unfortunately not the best time of year to be chasing down a water leak!.
good luck!

When was the last time you cleaned out the 'duck bills' ? That drain water from the scuttle that if not clear allow water to over flow into the car via the ventilation
I assume you mean the pipe / vent thing under the bonnet? if so great suggestion as it was crammed full of leaves and pine needles! it's been out in the rain since then and doesn't seem to have had any more water inside. I assume it comes in from the heating vent at the floor level? Thanks for the suggestion - might just have saved a trip to the garage :) Thanks a million!

Duck bills always first port of call for water in footwell! as John says! after that window seals,& check the rear washers working normally to see if supply pipe might be broken? and check radio ariel is sealed properly! unfortunately not the best time of year to be chasing down a water leak!.
good luck!
Found they were blocked with leaves and pine needles and we've just had another down pour and no more water in 🤞Thank goodness as didn't want another garage bill. Would never have thought an external drain could leak into the car... always learning- Thanks for your help(y)

everyone likes a quick easy(and cheap) fix now and again! check those drains every month in winter as dont take much to bung em up! as you say dead leaves mainly!

Found they were blocked with leaves and pine needles and we've just had another down pour and no more water in 🤞Thank goodness as didn't want another garage bill. Would never have thought an external drain could leak into the car... always learning- Thanks for your help(y)
Does your car have aircon

If so if definitely recommend changing the filter as this is likely to have got wet

Also worth checking around the passenger fuse box/bcm module to make sure no overflow has got near that if in doubt dry everything out as much as possible( hair dryers helpful for this) then pull the fuses to make sure no trapped water in there either last thing you want is the bcm throwing a wobbly!

When was the last time you cleaned out the 'duck bills' ? That drain water from the scuttle that if not clear allow water to over flow into the car via the ventilation
Ok I'm Back :cry: Been away for a couple of weeks and the floor in the passenger footwell was a puddle again. It's definitely rain coming in from somewhere, and as I live in Scotland and don't have a garage this is unavoidable.
I've just been reading it might be the air conditioning pipe. Is this something I might be able to locate myself?
I've sat in the car and had water poured around door and onto windscreen etc and can't locate any water ingress (but it's probably being absorbed into the carpet). Problem is we don't have enough dry days to have a dry carpet to start! Daft question but is it easy to take up the carpet in a car? I assume the source would then be easier to locate?

You know whilst we're on, has your car had a new engine earth strap? Required after the car is 5+years old, £5 part that's essential to replace
I'll def ask garage about that thanks. never even heard of one of those - is that to stop me electrocuting myself?

Nope. It is to connect all electrical things in your car to the negative battery pole via ground and runs from the battery to the gearbox (and chassis).

gr J
oh thanks for that, I will ask the garage as it looks like she's going to have to go in and see if they can sort it 😭

Is the scuttle area still clear?

Also are you using more screen wash then normal?

The rear wash pipe runs down that side of the car

And won't be the aircon pipe if you didn't use the car for. Afew weeks that I ky has water in when the Aircon is running

Ok I'm Back :cry: Been away for a couple of weeks and the floor in the passenger footwell was a puddle again. It's definitely rain coming in from somewhere, and as I live in Scotland and don't have a garage this is unavoidable.
I've just been reading it might be the air conditioning pipe. Is this something I might be able to locate myself?
I've sat in the car and had water poured around door and onto windscreen etc and can't locate any water ingress (but it's probably being absorbed into the carpet). Problem is we don't have enough dry days to have a dry carpet to start! Daft question but is it easy to take up the carpet in a car? I assume the source would then be easier to locate?
Taking out the carpet is just basic striping down!- but takes time all the seats have to come out sill trims and parts of the centre consul ! lots of small plastic trim buttons with the potential to break but perfectly doable my the home mechanic!

A Scotsman rushing to pay to lift a carpet 😭.

Think you jumped the gun a bit. With weather and the car shut, how was the carpet going to dry out in your absence?

Like outside the water level is high so today's water floods the glen tomorrow 😏.

Like it or not to properly dry out the car the carpet needs to come out. Once out, tape with blue masking and possibly see your source to the footwell. Upwards thereafter depends.

Been here with a leaky Smart car. Foam underlay in carpet took weeks to drain.

Is the scuttle area still clear?

Also are you using more screen wash then normal?

The rear wash pipe runs down that side of the car

And won't be the aircon pipe if you didn't use the car for. Afew weeks that I ky has water in when the Aircon is running
Thank you :)yes still clear.I don't think I'm using any more screenwash than usual. I have my aircon turned off all the time anyway. It seems only to be when rain has fallen

A Scotsman rushing to pay to lift a carpet 😭.

Think you jumped the gun a bit. With weather and the car shut, how was the carpet going to dry out in your absence?

Like outside the water level is high so today's water floods the glen tomorrow 😏.

Like it or not to properly dry out the car the carpet needs to come out. Once out, tape with blue masking and possibly see your source to the footwell. Upwards thereafter depends.

Been here with a leaky Smart car. Foam underlay in carpet took weeks to drain.
:LOL: I'm looking at replacing it now ! fed up, it was wet again this morning after rain last night. I have absorbed as much as I can with multiple towels then put a fan heater in for a few hours, every time I've found its wet. I do think I'm going to have to head to our garage and see if they have any suggestions. damn.

Back