Technical Ignition Wiring

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition Wiring

Alright lads,
Trying to install a Push Start Button for my punto but im abit confused with the wiring.
Baisically, out of the ignition barell there are

One set: Brown, Red, Orange wires
Second set: Blue, Yellow, Green, Green&Red

Can anyone give me any directions on which wire is which and how to wire this stupid thing:cry:

Cheers(y)

Funnily enough I wired one 2 days ago, I wired it to the red wire and the brown wire (obviously try it first) this means that you can still start your car from the keys, but you can also start it with the button when your ignition is on :) hope this helped.

Funnily enough I wired one 2 days ago, I wired it to the red wire and the brown wire (obviously try it first) this means that you can still start your car from the keys, but you can also start it with the button when your ignition is on :) hope this helped.

Brilliant Cheers :)
Is there any way getting the wires out of the blocks without damaging them or am i going to have to cut them?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
i think dayjw means that you splice the wires from the push button to the original ignition wires either useing them clips that are linked whice i would suggest doing or cutting some of the insulation of the ignition wires wrap the bare wires from the push button round the bare wires from the ignition and tape it up nice

i think dayjw means that you splice the wires from the push button to the original ignition wires either useing them clips that are linked whice i would suggest doing or cutting some of the insulation of the ignition wires wrap the bare wires from the push button round the bare wires from the ignition and tape it up nice

Yeah exactly lol, it's hard to explain without having pictures.

You have the same button as me! Lol. Just keep the wires where they are (in the white clip) First, get the red one and splice it open so that you can see the wire inside.

Then strip about an inch off of the red ones from the starter button and twist so that they're nice and tidy at the end and wrap it around the bit you spliced earlier so that the wires are touching. Then wrap that in tape, insulation tape is the best.

Then do the same with the brown wire :) If you get stuck, then pm me coz i don't think you live far from me :D

Sweet cheers :)
Just wondering if it matters which switch wires join up to which ignition wires?

hijacking this thread....

i followed ILEON's guide to do this, but modifed it to use the blank button on dash

video - #1 with dash still taken apart

#2 all back together

[things that went wrong -

1st switch shattered whilst soldering, must have been fractured already
***red mist had set in by this stage***
had to re drill hole after discovering front cover was fouling 1st attempt
blank button broke off while cutting it to free it
1st attempt to reinstall went wrong - button was stickin on, started was tryin to turn while engine was running
drilled opening on wrong side of back panel
when all was put back together the button cudnt be pressed, had to hack off another piece of the inside.]

Finally managed to get it back in and working properly, just gonna leave it a few days to make sure the button doesnt stick

heres a few pictures, but there hardly any use as the amount of errors i made.

p1000662o.jpg

p1000664t.jpg

p1000667x.jpg

p1000668.jpg

p1000672.jpg

p1000673s.jpg

Is there anyway of wiring it so it cant turn the starter unless the key in turned to ON
the way it is now, if the keys are out u can still turn the motor by pressing the button..

hijacking this thread....

i followed ILEON's guide to do this, but modifed it to use the blank button on dash

video - #1 with dash still taken apart
YouTube - P1000674

#2 all back together
YouTube - P1000675

[things that went wrong -

1st switch shattered whilst soldering, must have been fractured already
***red mist had set in by this stage***
had to re drill hole after discovering front cover was fouling 1st attempt
blank button broke off while cutting it to free it
1st attempt to reinstall went wrong - button was stickin on, started was tryin to turn while engine was running
drilled opening on wrong side of back panel
when all was put back together the button cudnt be pressed, had to hack off another piece of the inside.]

Finally managed to get it back in and working properly, just gonna leave it a few days to make sure the button doesnt stick

heres a few pictures, but there hardly any use as the amount of errors i made.

p1000662o.jpg

p1000664t.jpg

p1000667x.jpg

p1000668.jpg

p1000672.jpg

p1000673s.jpg

Is there anyway of wiring it so it cant turn the starter unless the key in turned to ON
the way it is now, if the keys are out u can still turn the motor by pressing the button..

Looks awesome mate! Didnt want to mess with the switchboard so im glad people are pushing on what they can do!:)
Also, I have no idea in the answer to your question ;). I wondered how aswell but I thought about how it would compromise the security of it?

Also its iLeno (y)

Good luck :D

oh yeah, it is ileno lol....

cant get my steering to come back on now tho....

i had 2 go replace that switch, so started car without that circuit board attached, so reversing back a bit and steering started rocking itself, like a juddering, then went off...

usually when it goes off it will come back nxt time its started, but not back yet...

Back