Technical Ignition issue 81 spider

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition issue 81 spider

Corb88

So I needed a new key cut for my ignition because the old one was stolen. I just removed the entire steering column from my 1981 fiat spider. Took it too a locksmith who made a key that seems to have worked in the lock, turns the switch, unlocked the wheel lock. But now the key won't come out of the ignition. I know in modern cars sometimes a dead battery can lock a key in your ignition, so I was wondering if maybe not having the column attached to the car could be why the key is not releasing from the ignition? Had anyone else encountered anything similar?

So I needed a new key cut for my ignition because the old one was stolen. I just removed the entire steering column from my 1981 fiat spider. Took it too a locksmith who made a key that seems to have worked in the lock, turns the switch, unlocked the wheel lock. But now the key won't come out of the ignition. I know in modern cars sometimes a dead battery can lock a key in your ignition, so I was wondering if maybe not having the column attached to the car could be why the key is not releasing from the ignition? Had anyone else encountered anything similar?
I suspect the wheel/steering shaft has moved in relation to the lock and is jamming the locking bar into the slot in the steering shaft.
If that is the case gently turn the key to the on position and then revolve the steering wheel to allow it to release as it locates the lock mechanism better, it may have also moved up or down slightly.
What ever you do do not force anything.
I have often been out to customers where there steering has "jammed" and simply got in the car and gentle moved the steering wheel left or right and the key has worked perfectly.
I am not saying that has happened in your case, I suspect the shaft has moved slightly out of align in relation to the lock mechanism.

Back