Technical 78 Fiat Spider - Elect. Distributor Install Help needed

Currently reading:
Technical 78 Fiat Spider - Elect. Distributor Install Help needed

Michael AZ

So the Distributor on my 78 Spider is shot. (It's leaking oil internally). Decided to replace it and rebuild the leaky one later since I just got this car about 2 months ago and have no idea of the history. I ordered a new distributor, coil, and ignition module/heat sink from Vicks and have the parts, but not sure where to wire B and C on the module? Can someone tell me which sides of the coil these wires go to? Also, I presume that I need to keep this little pot that is attached. Thank you!

Dist3.jpg

NEW Electronic Distributor, Fiat DOHC 1970-85 - (SKU 21-6325)
Ignition Coil: Fiat Spider 1979-85 - (SKU 21-2661)
Spark Module: High Performance Ignition Module, Fiat 2000 - (SKU 22-1600)

Don't know if this will help but the little "can" connected to the plus+ side of the coil is a radio suppressor, although when the condensor has failed in the past I have used them as a "get you home " condensor where points are used in a distributor, for that you have to fit it on the wire from coil that goes to distributor and cut the wire from the faulty condensor inside distributor. Signs of faulty condensor were misfire and blue and pitted contact points, so if on a breakdown I would clean and gap the points and do the trick I mentioned for a condensor, this was 50 years ago;).
Am I right your vehicle is negative earth, this is usually where car is fitted from new with an alternator. If so the positive on the coil is the live/power supply when ignition on and the negative- goes to the distributor.
You will need to contact supplier for more detail on your electronic ignition module. Personally I would fix the original and keep it as a back up if traveling any distance as easier to fix than an after market electronic ignition set up.
Note vehicle should run OK without "can"/radio suppressor unless you hear a steady ticking noise when radio on that increases with revs.
In the old days the marks on the coil were SW (switch/power) in your case + and CB (contact breaker) in your case-.
Another thought, if oil coming up the original distributor check the engine breather etc. in case back pressure/piston wear is causing the problem as if so it will happen on the new distributor also.
On another point , do you know what the other more recent wires with red crimps are for, as not factory?

Hello and thank you for the information. The car is Neg. Earth. I don't believe the distributor is original and the points were replaced with some type of electronic version (see photo). The red wires go to Pos. on coil, black to Neg. on coil. This car has had multiple owners and I can tell that it has been "fixed/modified" before.
I was hoping that I would not have to dive into the whole distributor stuff for awhile (only had car a couple months) but things are always interesting with a 40+ year old car. (My son really wants to drive his new car!) After reading lots of posts and watching videos, I believe I have the wiring figured out. Hoping to tackle it this weekend. Thank you again for the advice and info!

Old Dist Internal.jpg
Dist1.jpg

I realise that this post is from 6 weeks ago, but for the possible benefit of anyone experiencing oil leaking up inside the distributor, it is possible to cheaply fix the oil leak. There's an oil seal inside the distributor that can be renewed - to get access, drive out the pin securing the drive gear, remove the distributor shaft, prise out old oil seal, fit the new oil seal and reassemble distributor. (it's about a 10 minute job with the distributor out of the car). There are various iterations of distributor on these cars - iirc some may have the seal incorporated into the bearing, in which case you'll have to replace the bearing and oil seal instead.

Hello and thank you for the information. The car is Neg. Earth. I don't believe the distributor is original and the points were replaced with some type of electronic version (see photo). The red wires go to Pos. on coil, black to Neg. on coil. This car has had multiple owners and I can tell that it has been "fixed/modified" before.
I was hoping that I would not have to dive into the whole distributor stuff for awhile (only had car a couple months) but things are always interesting with a 40+ year old car. (My son really wants to drive his new car!) After reading lots of posts and watching videos, I believe I have the wiring figured out. Hoping to tackle it this weekend. Thank you again for the advice and info!

View attachment 434756 View attachment 434757

That control module is basically a stock GM part. In my 1979 Fiat this was mounted behind the coil in the heat sink on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I'm not sure if the 1978 cars had the heat sink for the coil, but if not you could probably find a used one. Be aware that the vacuum advance can is prone to failure of the rubber diaphragm and vacuum leak as the exhaust is so close to it and often fries it.

Back