Technical I was wondering....

Currently reading:
Technical I was wondering....

CyberMunky

I have been wondering and hope you wise people will be able to help me! :p

Right now, i have 1108cc engine with the box air cleaner. The uno has pathetically small air intakes (those insy holes). I am getting a K&N air filter to fit in the box and i was wondering if extending the hose and attaching it to the bumper (with a hole of course) would aid in more air reaching the engine and better performance? :yum:

Thanks dude. And another thing....

Would it be posible to put the clocks (speedo, rev counter etc) from an Uno Turbo or SX in a 1996 Uno Fire 1.1?

yes but some of the dials would not work (boost/psi, possibly rev counter etc)
but it would fit and would look cool :)

you could then go on to fitting a turbo, intercooler and uprated gearbox so the other dials do work!
ahh the dreams

yes, it's possible to put it on the air box, but tested to only be effective from 160 km/h, I installed one on my uno, 76mm piping here is some pics

Attachments

• Photo-0178.jpg
    Photo-0178.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo-0179.jpg
    Photo-0179.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo-0180.jpg
    Photo-0180.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 28
M@nticore said:
sx clocks will fit, all the wiring and plugs is the same, you just have to wire one wire from your coil to the cluster, will post photos tomorrow.

Thanks a ton man. :D

Tell me......
How much of a difference does an induction kit really make?

So which would be a better idea?

1. A simple K&N drop in filter
2. A full blown cold air intake/induction kit

When I had an Austin Metro many moons ago I chucked a K&N on the engine, and it never ran as well after that. Eventually I rejetted the carb (bigger jets) and tuned it up with the aid of an CO2 gas analyser, and it did certainly increase performance. I would guess in an injection engine the ECU will compensate but in a carb engine wouldn't you need to rejet to match the increase in air volume? I presume your 1996 Uno has injection?

Last edited:
i put an induction kit ment for a punto 1.1 on my uno 1.0 (same engine design)

must have added nearly 5bhp as it will now do 90mph on the flat and 0-60mph alot quicker! really scared me when i went in second gear after fitting it!

but if you can fit it and have the cash go for something like Manticore has.

My carburetor Uno 999cc with bog standard everything would pull 85-90mph on the flat quite easily! I fitted a K&N filter, and the only difference was the noise and a slightly better pick up - top speed was much the same. Possibly rejetting the carburetor might help, but either way there wasn't that much of a difference from standard.

Oh, and I managed to see 110mph on the clock of my Uno with the standard airbox/ filter! That was down a very, very long and steep hill on the M40, and isn't a realistic indication as to its true top speed. On the flat 90mph (indicated) was the normal maximum.

Most induction kits on their own will not make that much difference. You need to uprate the induction, cylinder head/ valves/ ports and exhaust system all together to release some real ponies from the engine.

But the K&N does look and sound nice (y)

1986Uno45S said:
I fitted a K&N filter, and the only
Most induction kits on their own will not make that much difference. You need to uprate the induction, cylinder head/ valves/ ports and exhaust system all together to release some real ponies from the engine.

But the K&N does look and sound nice (y)

Hot the nail on the head mate!

You either do it ALL or not at all!
Too many idiots belive that by throwing on exhaust and induction kit they will gain 2,000,000 billion BHP! lol
And the engine gains better volumetric efficenciy(?) and NOT BHP!

They only thing youll make is bad emissions!

Sorry, but isn’t the entire point of having an Uno the fact that is uses stuff all gas, its simple to work on, and the engine never breaks?

As far as I see messing around with the engine (fancy air intakes, exhaust systems, hot cams etc) only produce the following results:
1. Car goes 3mph faster
2. Accelerates from 0-60 in 2/10s of a second faster
3. Uses twice as much gas
4. Wears out three times as quickly
5. Is now unreliable

IMO the best way to get a faster car is to buy a faster car.

One of the best things you can do, is ensure you have good spark plugs and leads, your air filter is clean, and the car is generally well looked after.

One mod I do recommened though is jetting up the carb a bit (just the idle jet) makes the car run alot smoother.

Biz said:
Hot the nail on the head mate!

You either do it ALL or not at all!
Too many idiots belive that by throwing on exhaust and induction kit they will gain 2,000,000 billion BHP! lol
And the engine gains better volumetric efficenciy(?) and NOT BHP!

They only thing youll make is bad emissions!

Umm well. I know i wont be doing any 10 second quarter-miles or anything, i just want the sound really, and teeny bit more oomph.

jjhepburn said:
Uses twice as much gas

By the way, performance air filters actually increace fuel efficiency. :p

Last edited:
CyberMunky said:
By the way, performance air filters actually increace fuel efficiency. :p

Not quite... Performance air filters offer less restriction to filtered air, therefore allowing more air flow to occur.

On some modern cars with AFM's (airflow meters), the ECU increases the amount of fuel injected if it detects a greater increase in air flow. The ratio however, stays the same, so really no real change occurs other than induction noise.

On cars which can't detect airflow (such as those with carburetors and older injection systems), free flow filters change the balance of the air/ fuel ratio. In effect, they make the air/ fuel mixture weaker, which can lead to a small increase in power, BUT this is NOT a good thing for the engine long term. A weak mixture can lead to 'pinking'/ detonation, hot spots occuring in the combustion chamber, overheating, melted pistons/ burnt valves and generally it can cause damage within the engine unless the mixture is adjusted to compensate.

It is worth bearing in mind, that if manufacturers could easily get more power out of their cars by fitting a free flow filter, then don't you think they would? With all their budget they have to spend on design and testing, doesn't it seem daft that swapping the filter for a £50 K&N or whatever, can make so much difference compared to a standard airbox and filter?

Certainly designing a car involves compromises, but just swapping an air filter for a free flow item rarely makes any increase in power. See magazine tests! In conjunction with PROPER engine tuning/ modifications, they can help these mods. But not on their own.

I fitted a K&N to my car purely for A: Looks, B: Sound, and C: It makes the engine bay more tidy/ less cluttered. In terms of performance, the K&N makes the engine feel more responsive, but there's no real change in performance. So far the top speed indicated by my Uno has been achieved with a totally standard airbox and filter...

Here's my K&N!

Uno_K_N.JPG

Last edited:
whats the point in writting all that against induction kits, if you have one on your car?
there are more advantages of a k&n than disadvantages. and your right the standard airbox does look w-ank

distortionrockets said:
whats the point in writting all that against induction kits, if you have one on your car?

Because this is a public forum and I'm sharing my experience in response to someone who was asking about them perhaps?

And for why I fitted one, see my quote:

1986Uno45S said:
I fitted a K&N to my car purely for A: Looks, B: Sound, and C: It makes the engine bay more tidy/ less cluttered. In terms of performance, the K&N makes the engine feel more responsive, but there's no real change in performance.

distortionrockets said:
there are more advantages of a k&n than disadvantages. and your right the standard airbox does look w-ank

Not many advantages that I can see other than the reasons I mentioned. At high revs it may be allowing less restrictive air flow, so possibly could liberate 1 or 2 bhp max more up at the end of the rev range.

It also has to be cleaned and oiled regularly, which compared with buying a disposable paper air filter is more hassle.

The standard airbox has both hot and cold air intakes with a thermostatic flap. The K&N has none unless you fabricate your own (in which point it defeats the objective of uncluttering the engine bay!) In winter I can't run the K&N because the carburetor will ice up without the hot air intake.

A better solution is to use a K&N replacement panel filter, as this keeps the hot and cold air intakes plus gives you the advantages of a less restrictive filter. But for those who want the 'looks' of a performance air filter they're not that popular.

Oh, and the K&N was given to me for free which is why I fitted it. Consider my car being a long term test bed for Unos and K&Ns! I'm only running it for the benefit of you guys :p

It does sound good though...:D

Thanks for EVERYONE'S help, you guys rock, never have i been in a forum where the people are just so helpful!

:) :) :)

Back