Technical I think it's gone wrong!

Currently reading:
Technical I think it's gone wrong!

Sorry about the blank thread, struggling with this phone app!

So I'm driving along and I come to a stop when all of a sudden I can feel the engine struggling. Them I have no power to pull off. I really struggle to get moving. Then I get to the next set of lights and it sounds like it's got stones in the cylinders. Really sounded like it was the end of the engine! Then I got going again and it smoothed out. But I've lost my turbo. No power, cant hear it spool up. Its had a new egr a year ago. And that doesn't strike me as the way the egr fails. Any ideas?

Cheers guys

Ok, well I didn't. Maybe the turbo exploded? Lol and went in to the engine. But now the engine sounds fine. And just has no power!

Wouldn't explain the horrible clunking noise though would it? Strange it just went away and went smooth again. Will have a better look tomorrow. Good job I'm off till Sunday!

Well, tool egr off. It's actuating. And isn't clogged. I have no warning lights. And it's giving no fault codes. But it has no power low down and takes off like a rocket around 3000rpm! Anyone any ideas where I should look?

Thanks

Have you had a good look at all the pipework around the turbo and air box? Also have a look at the air filter to ensure its in good order. I wouldn't have thought anything has gone into the engine as it would've caused damage on the way through and would be unlikely to simply smooth out.

Its a long shot but you could also check the state of the Boost sensor. If its giving incorrect readings it could be preventing turbo boost from coming in at the right time. I would expect error codes with this however and it doesn't explain the noise you experienced etc.

Soulds like its pointing to the turbo imho. How many miles has the car done?

I've had the boost sensor out and cleaned it. It's done 72k. The air box is a nightmare, why is it in such a horrific position?

I don't think it's the air filter, as it just so suddenly went wrong. And above 3k the car feels normal, Full power. Wondering if some kind of sensor could cause this?

Thanks

I had to drive through two fords the other day, both a foot deep. Loads of steam but car was fine thereafter! :eek:

To open the air box more easily, loosen the clips holding the hose to the MAF sensor and gently move the hose out of the way. It might help to also remove the MAF. This will give more room to get the box open. It opens at the bottom via clips on either side. It hinges from the top.
It is in a horrendous position!

My 1.9MJ 120 lags a lot below 1500 RPM. Its had new EGR, MAF and MAP. I recently had error codes pointing to the Lambda (O2) Sensor. The exhaust sounds like it has just started to blow though so this might be related.

No I haven't, it had only been driven dry the last few days before. Going to get a better code reader next week and take a better look!

Still would appreciate any advice. Hopefully someone else has had a similar issue!

Cheers

Thanks, I'll try get the filter changed anyway, rule it out!

The problem being a sensor would kind of make sense. As when it sounded like the end of the engine for about 10 seconds, maybe it was adjusting itself to running without something and misfiring etc. As it's fine now, not burning oil or anything!

Back