General i like the bravos, help me decide if i want one

Currently reading:
General i like the bravos, help me decide if i want one

chobbit

I really like the look of the 1.9L Dynamic 150 Multijet or at 2.0L Dynamic 165 Diesels.

But people telling me to stay away from Fiat and tell me things like "You know what Fiat stands for Fix It Again Tony" etc but none of them own a fiat at the moment and I've never owned one (my sister did have a 2000 punto that did have alot of issues I must admit) so I don't know what there recent cars have been like.

Are they alot more reliable from 2008 onwards?

Is the extra 15hp worth it over the 150 as you don't get climate control with the 165?

And finally are the cars I'm looking at really worth it compared too the others in the range?

Thanks

The Bravo is a very reliable car and I remember it actually was better placed than the VW Golf in a reliability test in the UK.

If Fiat was so crap then why are fiat 500 all the rage even in the USA?
In all aspects the 500 is a lower quality car than the bravo so that tells you what you can expect especially if you go for a high spec bravo.

If it's used, it is very history dependant, as per any car ever. If it's been serviced on time, run up to temp before being used hard etc then there is no reason it will not be reliable.

There are occasional niggles and things to check, which are well documented throughout this bit of the forum, but as a rule, Bravos are much more reliable than older Fiats, and there have been little horror stories.

I'm on my 6th successive Fiat (7th if you include an Alfa) in 16 years and have had very, very few problems. I have just bought a Bravo (last week) but one of them is a Seicento SX which I bought in January 1999. Only in the last couple of years it has broken down once or twice. So, whatever the justifications for Fiat's poor reputation in the distant past, I am happy to recommend them now.

I have had 15 fiats (and one alfa) in the last 40 years. I aim to get at least 100k from each before I sell them, and have managed that with my last three. I'm now with a bravo which hos done nearly 70k. I wouldn't keep buying Fiats if I thought they were no good! The Bravo is fine and will outlast many other makes which cost much more.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replays I guess its pretty safe to say reliability is pretty good.

There is a dealership very close by that has a 1.9 multijet 120 dynamic version which I am hoping to get a 24 hour test drive, to see how it drives. And hopefully the higher models will only improve on it.

What would you say to the worth and need of an extra 15hp of the 165 over the 150?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replays I guess its pretty safe to say reliability is pretty good.

There is a dealership very close by that has a 1.9 multijet 120 dynamic version which I am hoping to get a 24 hour test drive, to see how it drives. And hopefully the higher models will only improve on it.

What would you say to the worth and need of an extra 15hp of the 165 over the 150?

Thanks

Its not a lot of power difference but its a bit quicker to 60 and more fuel efficient. I have the 165, its fine but I suspect normal driving you wouldn't know the difference between that and a 1.9MJet.

The 120 has a huge advantage over the 150 and 165 in my opinion and it's the gearbox.

It has a 5 speed gearbox that's apparently more reliable and gives better performance than the 6 speed on the other models.

Fuel consumption should not be a criteria since it's about the same in all models.

Last edited:
The 120 has a huge advantage over the 150 and 165 in my opinion and it's the gearbox.

It has a 5 speed gearbox that's apparently more reliable and gives better performance than the 6 speed on the other models.

Fuel consumption should not be a criteria since it's about the same in all models.

I'm 99.9% sure that in the UK all Bravo's have 6-speed boxes.

Take the 165 model newer engine more efficient. as regards the 5 speed 120 bhp mjet Mmmm 5 speed yes, but worse for only having 5 gears as the gearing is low compared to the 6 speeders and which doesn't help economy touring at 65 plus mph, and comfort too when compaired to six speeders I know as we had to use the wife's last year to go to Italy. its now banned from such journeys....

Thanks again everyone your help and information. I'm glad too see quite an active and helpful forum for once.

I am okay with both the 5 & 6 gearbox's but I think all the ones I've looked at have 6 gears. I'm looking for something thats not amazingly quick but can do 0-60 in under 10 (which I know the 120 doesn't quite hit).

The dealership have got back in touch and said that they are very shortly getting a 150 version along side their current 120 version so they are arranging for me to take both individually to test which is ideal as I may just find the 120 has something I like about it, who knows. I'm looking forward to it :D

I'm hoping both are dynamics with climate/cruise however I have no info on the 150 yet.

I have a remapped 120 and I can assure you the difference is not that big performancewise from the 150.

I compared it to a grande punto sport with a remapped 1.9l 16v multijet (same as in the 150 bravo) and it was just as fast.

It actually starts with 136 bhp, not 120, they advertize it as 120 so it falls into lower insurance and tax categories in some countries so they don't end up losing sales to weaker cars.

I have a remapped 120 and I can assure you the difference is not that big performancewise from the 150.

I compared it to a grande punto sport with a remapped 1.9l 16v multijet (same as in the 150 bravo) and it was just as fast.

It actually starts with 136 bhp, not 120, they advertize it as 120 so it falls into lower insurance and tax categories in some countries so they don't end up losing sales to weaker cars.

GP Sports had 8v's not 16v's AFAIK.

I love my 1.9 150 Sport but as said before the gearboxes arent the greatest. Ive just had to replace my clutch (with DMF and other things). Wasnt cheap at-all but now car is spot on!

GP Sports had 8v's not 16v's AFAIK.

I love my 1.9 150 Sport but as said before the gearboxes arent the greatest. Ive just had to replace my clutch (with DMF and other things). Wasnt cheap at-all but now car is spot on!

Don't be getting gearbox and clutch mixed, two separate components really Lol.

grande sport has 130 bhp not 136

Back