General I did the 24 hour Panda Cross test drive!

Currently reading:
General I did the 24 hour Panda Cross test drive!

yes 1.0, 3 cylinder job. Sounds like a subaru boxer at low revs. I nearly bought a GTtI (is that right?) once but bought an ax gt instead.

I know what you about depreciation. I can't justify it anymore. It seems daft to just pour money down the drain.

Even the 500 is losing value. I see 6 month old ones on autotrader privately for £2000 less than new ones.

I paid £5700 for this one year old c1 in Feb, and i'd get over £5k now.

Good little cars the c1. Very long geared for such a small motor, goes 35 in first 65 in second. What with the cross screaming at 20 in 1st, and 40 in second, I feel i'd be changing gear every 5 seconds.

It's got five doors which is real handy.

Thats what puts me of the 500, 3drs, although it is a second car so could cope.

The C1 just doesn't have it in the looks dept thats why I have itchy feet to change. I love the look of the 500, but the 3 doors does put me off.the 4x4 panda looks great too, and also like playing in the mud having come from a series of 4x4's.

The pandas are very slow though, and will cost more to run. The C1 goes down to £20 tax next year and is in group 1e insurance (I only paid £29 for a years fully comp on it:eek:)

Most prob either buy a used bargain cheap 4x4 climbing, or just keep my C1 for a little longer.

Hwyl!!:D

D

I have to say I struggle to see what other car a potential buyer of the Cross would look at. If you need a small, cheap, brand new 4 x 4 then this is the only one. To me it is not a competitor to the 500 or Punto. Sadly with the recent bad Economic mood of the country, I am definitely putting a Cross on hold for now, I only hope we have another mild winter:(

when i bought the 4x4 climbing I have now I considered the C1 and the Peugeot 107 but I liked the uncompromising design, space and chunkiness of the panda. I always liked the design confidence of fiat, which i think was lacking between the mk2 punto (which was one of the best looking superminis for a long time) and the panda. With cars like the stilo and trying to make the multipla look less individual, they really lost their confidence, speaking in terms of design. I think with the 500 they have really got the styling right, in the same way that BMW did with the new mini, although the mini is styled to death and screams design student when you sit in it, as if they chucked in every retro-looking idea they had, whereas with the 500 fiat have got the balance between retro styling and quiet confidence in design just right. They knew when to stop. Also you can have that feeling of owning something a bit more special in a 500 much cheaper than you can in a mini! Personally, i think if I had my choice I would have the 1.3 multijet 500 with the glass roof, in white with a bit of italian flag styling on it! Just looks right in that colour.

I bought my Panda 4x4 Climbing, which continues to give me great driving pleasure, over 3 years ago and for these reasons;
1. I had driven big 4x4s for the previous 12 years and enjoyed their ability in the snow and the occasional genuine off road use. Grown up children allowed me to downsize with huge monetary savings and easier town driving.
2. I had always wanted the original Panda 4x4 but circumstances made this impractical.
3. I loved the colour Dry Turquoise.
4. It was a poke in the eye for my contemporaries who were all off buying Jags, Mercs, Audis etc. and looking very pompous and middle-aged in the process.
5. I have a bit of a back problem and the 4x4 is even easier to get into than the standard Panda which is itself easier to get into than other cars.
6. It is a mechanically simple design and I really enjoy DIY car maintenance.

Must say. all good reasons for loving the Panda 4x4! I have to agree, it is easy to get into and out of, and I think the styling is great! Just wish it had a 6th gear as it so needs it!:D Mine going in for 1st MOT today, will be interested what my garage have to say about it as ist the first time they will have worked on it!

If you need a small, cheap, brand new 4 x 4 then this is the only one.

Is this a reflection of how little demand there is for similar competition, or do you think it's a niche market that's yet to be fully exploited and Fiat are ahead of the game?

Chris

Well Fiat did the 4x4 in the original Panda but it didnt start an upswell in similar models from other manufacturers. I think Fiat like going off at tangents every now and again! Tho theres a 4x4 version of the mini clubman coming out I think, so itll probably take off then and BMW will think its all their idea!

Just to have a gripe, my 4x4 failed its mot this morning, 2 tyres and front brake discs/pads. Only had it since March. 3 years old. Poo! Colour me unhappy! Changing it for a 500 just got a bit more attractive! :bang:

Well Fiat did the 4x4 in the original Panda but it didnt start an upswell in similar models from other manufacturers. I think Fiat like going off at tangents every now and again! Tho theres a 4x4 version of the mini clubman coming out I think, so itll probably take off then and BMW will think its all their idea!

Just to have a gripe, my 4x4 failed its mot this morning, 2 tyres and front brake discs/pads. Only had it since March. 3 years old. Poo! Colour me unhappy! Changing it for a 500 just got a bit more attractive! :bang:
I saw the Mini 4x4 and OMG it was awful! they've really lost the plot, first the club man which was hideous, now a 4x4 mini....no thanks. Must be something to do with the American car market influence, hopefully they will only sell it in the states where they will think it's the best thing since they landed on the moon! The Panda 4x4 is soooo original IMO

I agree with your sentiments re the mini 4x4, the more they mess with the mini, the uglier it gets! I took issue with the "clubman" immediately... they cant even get the name right, the original mini estate was called the mini traveller; the clubman was an updated design of the original mini shape, squaring off the front and changing the interior fascia etc, not a blummin estate. and lets not mention the 1 and a half doors on the one side of the new clubman that was originally on the passenger side on the lefthand drive version, but is on the drivers side on the uk version because they couldnt be bothered to change it!

To bring fiat into it again... the mini costs half as much again as the 500! and its not as pretty.

Following on from earlier in this thread... have any of you Cross owners thought about getting a mild remap done on your cars to see if it made any difference to driveability? I was on superchips website but they had no option for remap for the cross only the standard multijet boosting it from a standard 70 to 85bhp. I'm thinking that it might make it that bit more lively to compensate for the extra weight of the 4x4 system yet not making it too powerful so that it causes any excess wear to drivetrain clutch etc. Your thoughts?? :)

After driving the 4x4 Climbing, with its 1.2 petrol engine, the Cross has plenty of power for me.
As I've already had one fault on the 4x4 system I don't really want to give Fiat an opportunity to dispute any future warranty issues, so I will keep my car unmapped.

Mmm..good point maybe its something that should only be tried after we see what warranty issues the cross could have after long term use. Driveability wise though it would be interesting to hear if anyone attempts it and if so how much of a difference it makes. The dakar cross had 100bhp from the 1.3 multijet but it had uprated clutch to cope with the extra power but i would imagine 15 extra bhp would be safe enough. However, im no expert! :rolleyes: (y)

I'm sure the transmission could cope in its entirety with such a mild upgrade. I'm aware that this kind of upgrade can also either not affect mpg or even improve it. It's a very sound suggestion but maybe one to consider in 3 years time.
Meanwhile, running over to Carlisle from Sunderland and back the computer tells me I managed 44mpg so, despite the known inaccuracy, I'm quite pleased.

I'm thinking that it might make it that bit more lively to compensate for the extra weight of the 4x4 system yet not making it too powerful so that it causes any excess wear to drivetrain clutch etc. Your thoughts?? :)

Might be worth finding out what the torque rating of the clutch and gearbox are as I'd imagine these are the two areas which could be directly affected by upping the engine output. Superchips offer their own warranty which covers anything breaking as a result of their remap but I'm not sure if anyone has ever successfully claimed on it. Might be worth discussing with them if you're worried about the warranty implications :D

Chris

Back