How to split 2 amps between one set of wires??

Currently reading:
How to split 2 amps between one set of wires??

elrobzo

Hi guys, firstly an apoligy that I don't know much about car audio but...
I have fitted some 6 x 9s running from an amp with live wire, ground, rca etc. I recently purchased the fli 1000W sub which has the built in amp. The problem I have is that I cannot amp both as I only have one set of wires. Is it possible to split the amp? I don't know what amp it is but it has 6 rcas ports, front x2, back x2 and output x2.

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Rob

Personally I would fit the sub without the 6X9s. There are a lot of posts on here about this subject. Basically you can end up damaging your 6X9s if you run them in the same airspace as your sub. If you really want to go ahead you will need what are called Y splitters. These will allow you to run 2 amps from one set of pre outs on your head unit. You will need crossovers on your amps to ensure each set of speakers receive the correct signal. Less than about 60 Hz is a good starting point for the sub, the 6X9s should handle the full range.

Just re read your post! As the sub has an inbuilt amp you are going to be using 2 amps so get some of the Y splitters. These turn your one set of pre out wires into two.

If I misunderstood your question (which I may have done) and you were asking if you could run both speakers from the same amp, if you have a four channel amp you can (bridge two channels for the sub and use the other two for the 6X9s) and if you have only a two channel amp you can not. The way round this would be to run the 6X9s from the headunits internal amp and the sub from your external amp.

Hope this helps, if you can give us more exact details of the products in your system, people on here will be able to help you further.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply
From what i gather, I run all cables into my "big" amp and then split the 2 RCA cables to go to the head unit and also the sub? Is that the only 2 cables I have to run to my sub for it to work?
Thanks again
rob

I would put the Y splitters on the headunit end and run two sets of RCAs one to the amp and the other to the sub amp. If your amp has a set of output RCAs then you could do away with the Y splitters and simply connect the headunit to the amps inputs and the amps outputs to the sub amp with a set of short RCA leads. This would be the simplest and best method if your amp has the outputs. If you can post up the amps make and model number I can see what it has.

The amp has no markings on it, and I got it off a friend so I am not sure what it is. It does however have rear +/-, front +/- and output +/-. Can I simply run an RCA cable (1+ and 1-) to the subs amp?

Post up a pic of it if you can and I will see what I can do. A picture speaks a thousand words as they say.....

Back