Technical How to run 899 SPi on carbs?..'n overcome ignition problem

Currently reading:
Technical How to run 899 SPi on carbs?..'n overcome ignition problem

racingABARTH

Hi there,

I like to run my Soleil 899 on carbs. How do I do this? Yes I know that another inlet manifold is needed but this is not a main issue. The 899 SPi is managed by a ECU/EPROM/computer where all signals from various sensors go to. So if I get rid of the throttle body/injector house there are no signals coming from there. The engine won't run.
So how can I 'trick' the computer while running on say a DMTR, C36 PHH or DCOE carburetor? Or else; how do I fix an ignition without removing the computer?...fix a signal that has the same values as coming from the original placed sensors, in- and around the injector housing etc.

Putting in a old generation 903 from say a Panda or A112 with rotor ignition is not an option.

Grtz.

First question is why? If it's for race use you could get the ECU re-mapped. There is also the question of legality of fittng carbs to a car with later emissions standards for road use. That aside, you can replace the injectors with power resistors but I don't know about the throttle. Is it a motorised throttle body or just a position sensor? If motorised you could just tuck it away somewhere. The position sensor, of fly by wire pedal or trottlle body needs to be linked to you new throttle.

Robert G8RPI.

You can return to the carb systems from previous generation of this engine.
The first step down is the system, realized my SEAT Marbella/Terra. It have all components we have, even lambda regulation, but Weber carb insted of SPI.
For even older systems you have to replace the head, as you need a place to install the ignition distributor....

Back