How to fix the rattle behind the dashboard.

A lot of Bravos have a rattle behind the dashboard so here's a guide on how to fix the most probable cause for this issue. It's a 5 minute job and doesn't require any tools.

1. Inside the engine bay, locate a little removable cover on the right side of the trim covering the lower edge of the windscreen as shown on the pic.

Guide1.jpg

2. Don't try to open it by force or with a screwdriver. Remove the rubber seal from the right so you can slide out the little cover easily.

3. Locate a loose plug inside the empty space as shown on the photo. That's the culprit.

Guide2.jpg

4. Slide your hand slowly, be careful, the black plastic is quite sharp.

5. Grab the plug and pull it out.

6. Hang the plug on the edge of the opening and put the cover back over it.

Guide3.jpg

7. Put the rubber seal back and you're done :)

(Please let me know if pics don't show.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DanTJet

Excellent
Another option could be to wrap the connector in foam and stick it down with double sided Velcro?

OP
OP
Tad-bravo

Tad-bravo

Re: GUIDE: How to fix the rattle behind the dashboard.

Excellent
Another option could be to wrap the connector in foam and stick it down with double sided Velcro?

I don't think it's a good idea as that space is for water drainage. anything you add there could just jam it and cause problems.

And why would you look for solutions that are more complicated?

DanTJet

Isn't that where Fiat put it?

OP
OP
Tad-bravo

Tad-bravo

Isn't that where Fiat put it?

The foam and double sided tape you want to add would come loose with water and then jam the conduit. Not the plug.

The wipers mechanism is also there and could get jammed.

Last edited:

Freebo

PANDA!!
Staff member
Nice Guide, please note Tad-bravo I have moved this to the Bravo guide section and have re-uploaded the pictures as attachments so they don't break in the future (y)

aurick86

I am going out right now to try this!
I have been fighting the dashbord rattle for quite some time.

Thank you for the guide!

seanxtown

Hi, I have this rattle on my 08 t-jet 150 but inside the space there is no plug. I've checked and doubled checked and it is not there. Is there anything else I can try to stop the rattle?

Thanks in advance, Sean.

pmeister

Couldn't find much about it on the net, does anyone what the plug is actually for?

Coisty1971

**IMPORTANT** When replacing the cover ensure that rain water does not drip down past the join onto the gearbox (test by pouring some water over windscreen and allow to flow through scuttle panel).
I have recently emptied over 4.5 litres of watery oil from my recently bought 1.9jtd 120 5 speed gearbox (it should have 1.7 litres in it).:bang:
There is a rubber boot over the gearbox selector shaft which was perished and allowed the water to pass through the grease seal into the gearbox.
After several flushes I have hopefully caught it before any major damage was done to the gearbox but this simple check could save you the cost of a new gearbox.
I dont know if this only affects the 5 speed gearbox.

Brian