General How Much!

Currently reading:
General How Much!

A quick grovel under the Marea revealed the reason for the increase in engine noise, the pipe between the centre and tail boxes has corroded and is blowing slightly. Well no big deal I thought, then I checked on buypartsby and it was £90 before VAT and shipping. The cat site was similar our local autofactors was £147 before VAT and one fitted (prolly the worst quality) at a local exhaust place £200 inc vat. I know if you can get a good one at a scrappy its a lot cheaper but a 1.8 Weekend is a bit of a long shot. Anything I'm missing or should i get used to the idea of saying goodbye to over £100.

Its the end boxes, they come as one lump. The blow is from the pipe between them, this is a bit structural as if it failed the back box could hit the road. The weld into the intermediate box has rusted a lot and also the in and out weld to the back box. So changing the whole thing is the way to go, unfortunatley :mad:
I think you (Bulldog) are near Bristol so prolly not worth the shipping for a S/H unit.

FT548G
http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts_details.php?recordID=587

I rang my mate with a garage up to ask if I could use his lift to do this job, it's a big lump of exhaust to change in one go. I told him what I had been quoted and he is trying his wholesalers to get a better deal on the system so I live in hope. BTW anyone local to here (South Bucks North Berks) I can recomend Dave good work and aklthough you dont get greeted by the fashionably attired blonde lurking behind a potted palm when you take the car in I find that not paying her wages more than makes up for that.

Thats better, trade cost £70 delivered. Still a bit more than the £25 I expect to pay for a silencer, but then you used to get a pint of beer and change from a £1 once:)

Last edited:
Well,
My exhaust has broke on the second box from the back.
Just been quoted £450 fitted from kwik fit :cry: and £320 from fiat, rear part only (with 20% discount!!!).:eek:
Seems the later mareas (2000- ) have a different exhaust system with an extra silencer. Looks similar to the 2.4JTD on the diagram on "buypartsby".

So i need some help deciding what to do. Anyone know where you can get the rear section cheaper?

Well,
My exhaust has broke on the second box from the back.
Just been quoted £450 fitted from kwik fit :cry: and £320 from fiat, rear part only (with 20% discount!!!).:eek:
Seems the later mareas (2000- ) have a different exhaust system with an extra silencer. Looks similar to the 2.4JTD on the diagram on "buypartsby".

So i need some help deciding what to do. Anyone know where you can get the rear section cheaper?

ATS did mine for £180, thats with a 5% discount from my AA membership.

1997 Marea HLX 2.0 20V saloon

Kwik fit will do the older 2.0l for £210.
For the 2000 onwards the exhaust is different and is a special order item at £450!
Have yet to find anyone online that does this part for the later mareas. Guess there were never enough of them built to warrent pattern parts:( .

If you were seriuos in getting it sent from here I could get Dave to check it out. If you want to do this post or PM the part number(y)

Dave,
Sent email enquiry to EU. No reply yet. I will phone in the morning though. Cheers for the link though.

Renegade8,
If it's cheaper than £300 then yes i'll be willing to pay the shipping cost.
Not sure of the part number but it's for a 185A engine code. This is for the 155bhp engine.

might work out cheaper getting local power flow place to make you one

I had thought of that. Theres a place about 20 miles from me called ashford motorsport that are listed as my nearest dealer.
I'll give them a call too.

Looks like no one does an aftermarket system for the later marea 2.0l.
I've phoned around 20 places up and down the country and apart from a couple no one did them.
When i phoned the odd few back they said they had made a mistake and genuine parts only are available for this model.

I got a quote for a powerflow cat-back system for £335 +VAT so i think i'll be going for that.
Cheers Everyone.

Back