how many police officers have points?

Currently reading:
how many police officers have points?

I know a few who have points!
Last night I stopped a car which was speeding not much mind you. Spoke to the driver, gave him a £30 for no seatbelt and made it clearabout his speed and what could have been. Seems a bit unfair to give him points which will put his insurance up, im sure he learnt more from a tellingoff and a small fine.

I know of no officers who have been let off speeding (only when they were on a "grade one" were they) and incident logs have to be printed and the camera activation has to be radioed in as it happens.

Not keen on speeding laws at all . . . .another story

dave said:
how many police we got on the forum now then?
i new of 2 now 3 with brava007, any more hiding?

No they're in plain view with big blue white and yellow vans... how can you not miss them... ok, sorry bad joke :p

no points for jai, on either private or police license

i take the same view as alan, those first few seconds when you get out of the car can make a massive impact on what happens next (in several cases ending in public order arrests, i dont like being sworn at over a seatbelt!)

judgement and discretion can be excercised, but sometimes its the drivers attitude that makes the desicion. me, i'd hope a quiet word, will do the trick.

so that makes 3 eh?

turboned said:
what do you mean?

It means the copper who burst my eardrum with his truncheon in 1993 (mistaken identity) had previous for assault yet remained on the force. Without posing another question around how many coppers have criminal records I do often wonder if it extends further than West Mid.

turboned said:
no points for jai, on either private or police license

i take the same view as alan, those first few seconds when you get out of the car can make a massive impact on what happens next (in several cases ending in public order arrests, i dont like being sworn at over a seatbelt!)

judgement and discretion can be excercised, but sometimes its the drivers attitude that makes the desicion. me, i'd hope a quiet word, will do the trick.

so that makes 3 eh?

(y) most realise this some dont!

Stopped a lad in a really poor done up car (talking very distastful and falling apart!) took his license and i always get them to say what there name address dob is etc to confirm it with the license, he then decided to say "are you thick or somthing, its there infront of you".
The whole conversation we had totally changed, no longer was a warning about his speeding, poor condition of car and lack of seatbelt going to be a strong warning and an intel log, but "perhaps i cant see whats infront of me, but what i can see is that your not wearing your seatbelt" and gave him a £30 for no seat belt.
I explained to him about his attitude and not once did I give him any and its uncalled for, and why i ask him to confirm his details. After that he was dead nice.
Im always happy to let people off things for a warning (as long as its safe to do so!) its just when the attitude starts and comments like "havnt you got anything better to do like catch murderers and rapists" (no, because I am dealing with your poor driving which could kill someone)

I go on a few car forums and I must admit, in the others people constantly slag each other off, swear their heads off and slag off everyone and everything especially the police, but here none of this happens (y)

brava007 said:
(y) most realise this some dont!

Stopped a lad in a really poor done up car (talking very distastful and falling apart!) took his license and i always get them to say what there name address dob is etc to confirm it with the license, he then decided to say "are you thick or somthing, its there infront of you".
The whole conversation we had totally changed, no longer was a warning about his speeding, poor condition of car and lack of seatbelt going to be a strong warning and an intel log, but "perhaps i cant see whats infront of me, but what i can see is that your not wearing your seatbelt" and gave him a £30 for no seat belt.
I explained to him about his attitude and not once did I give him any and its uncalled for, and why i ask him to confirm his details. After that he was dead nice.
Im always happy to let people off things for a warning (as long as its safe to do so!) its just when the attitude starts and comments like "havnt you got anything better to do like catch murderers and rapists" (no, because I am dealing with your poor driving which could kill someone)

I go on a few car forums and I must admit, in the others people constantly slag each other off, swear their heads off and slag off everyone and everything especially the police, but here none of this happens (y)

That's why I could never be a copper. My first reaction would be to hit someone who called me thick. It's a weakness.

bozzy said:
That's why I could never be a copper. My first reaction would be to hit someone who called me thick. It's a weakness.

haha they would be first to moan and make a complaint if you called them thick! not on really! :p

*wonders what would happen if I came across a fiatforum car*

TBH i my years of driving ive had very few run ins with the police that didnt end amicably.
not had a speeding ticket(yet)but have been caught a few times though we are not talking crazy speeds in town for example.
the turbo cinq has been pulled a few times .the best one was a police transit driver going in the opposite direction to me(queen st in edinburgh if anyone knows it).this was a 4 lane piece of road and i was pootling along as i was trying to locate a rattle from the front end(using edinburgh's handy pothole'tastic roads).
turned around and pulled me.now while i resented this guy telling me i was speeding i knew he just saw a car which in his opinion was worth a tug. kept my cool and got a ticking off:rolleyes:

only ticket ive had was driving without due care & attention(think that was it)in '98.was driving round glasgow city centre and got lost :eek:
turned into a side street which i had been down the previous week without noticing they had changed the direction off the one way on that street the previous day:bang:
2 coppers standing on that very corner did me for that though i had hoped for a bit of leniency i wasnt too fussed when they told me there were no points with trhe offence.

bozzy said:
It means the copper who burst my eardrum with his truncheon in 1993 (mistaken identity) had previous for assault yet remained on the force. Without posing another question around how many coppers have criminal records I do often wonder if it extends further than West Mid.

see thats a specific, what you originally said was a generalisation, not all of us do have a criminal record.

Last edited:
I would go further to say that very very few must have criminal records, personally I don't know of any.

I would further say that there are 28,000 officers in London alone and over 40,000 nationwide but as in every walk of life there is good & bad. I cant speak for every one of those but use of force to that extent is not common place. I certainly have no desire to use force (I like a quiet life) but occasionally it's required. But that's a whole new topic.

Last edited:
Alan.D said:
I would further say that there are 28,000 officers in London alone and over 40,000 nationwide...
So there are more than twice as many policemen in London as in the rest of the country combined? If that's right, then maybe it reflects the law-abidingness of Londoners... :devil: Especially as it feels like most of the other 12000 work for North Wales traffic police... :rolleyes:
H

Well i know a mate whos a paramedic and if he gets above 6 points he may lose his job in a extreme case but certainly not drive a ambulance or any other car for the job he sez its the same for the police.
The police do get points(i have relations that are on the dark side-the law) they aint above the law just most take itlike everybody or gets their other halfs to take the points for them.

police officers still get points for speeding if they cannot prove they were going to a incident etc.

so say going thru a speed camera at 70 with blues an 2s on and cannot proof y they will get the points.

Trancendental said:
So I have 6 point on me License...

Was the police man I asked telling the truth when he said I wasn't allowed to work towards being a traffic cop?

Motoring offences shouldn't count when applying for the police only criminal convictions unless the toting up rule get's you a ban, so you have been mis informed.

hmallett said:
So there are more than twice as many policemen in London as in the rest of the country combined? If that's right, then maybe it reflects the law-abidingness of Londoners... :devil: Especially as it feels like most of the other 12000 work for North Wales traffic police... :rolleyes:
H

Having been on a few motoring Forums most of the questions I have been asked have related to North Wales :confused: ?

Giggz said:
police officers still get points for speeding if they cannot prove they were going to a incident etc.

so say going thru a speed camera at 70 with blues an 2s on and cannot proof y they will get the points.

If on duty and driving a police car on an unauthorised drive would end up with more than points, I would think the driver would be suspended from driving police vehicles and would certainly be diciplined on top of any conviction that was decided on.

But anyone driving on blue's for anything other than an incident or a chase would be a fool and deserve everything they get. In 17yrs I have never done it and have never witnessed another officer doing that.

Back