General How many miles on your Grande?

Currently reading:
General How many miles on your Grande?

I have a knocking noise while turning which seems to be related to some play somewhere and it wanders pretty violently in both directions seemingly at random! Scary on the motorway and particularly if the road is a bit off camber or bumpy. Its booked in for the 9th though.

Otherwise not too bad, no rattles from trim although my dash vent is lifting and no warning lights, did missfire slightly cold starting today though, weird.

Having had "The Steering Rack Problem" I think I can safely say that "The Knock" occurs when the steering wheel is turned from side-to-side when the car is stationary. I found mine by jacking up one side, turning the road wheel to and fro, hearing the noise and observing that the steering wheel did not turn for small movements of the road wheel.

Bumps in the road resulted in a "shimmering" sensation as the wheel vibrated -turning from side-to-side in a decaying oscillation. My car was not within the range of chassis numbers fitted with a dodgy rack - it was newer.

I don't like the fact that the steering wheel is rubber mounted so that the wheel can remain straight and road forces can cause the car to change direction. See for yourself. If you can turn the wheel without the column shaft moving then the reverse is also possible.

havnt done too bad with 15 months and 23,000 miles and still no big problem as of yet.

Back