How many clicks on a handbreak?

Currently reading:
How many clicks on a handbreak?

H

Hayley

Hello, putting my car through an early M.O.T today and im not too sure how its gonna get on. Does anyone know what the maximum amount of "clicks" is on the hand break? Mine seems to be quite high.

its not a particular no of clicks, its the efficiency that it holds at that is tested on the rollers. it can be adjusted easily enough. if you pull the handbreak gaitor off at the console you will see a large nut on the bottom edge of the hadbreak, release the hand break and tighten it up and it will be much better :)

Andy_sx

mine failed on account of it needed adjusting cos was able to raise it too high

If you allow for 3 clicks max, you should be ok... as long as the handbrake holds that is..

As Mark says. I've been told not to keep tightening it under the gator as it streches the cable and will eventually break!

Not sure if this is right or not as I'm a mechanical numpty lol

Chris

Just been to see a friend who has a garage and he has adjusted it for me. Seems weired now. lol. Hopefully all goes well :) Wish me luck!

Just got back from M.O.T station with a faliure sheet :( But its not all that bad really, was expecing alot worse! It failed on my blue sidelights, one tyre is on the wrong way round (the arrows are facing the wrong way) and the drivers side shock absorber has a serious leak. He would have passed it with the tyre and lights but couldnt with the shock which is understandable. It passed on emission which i was worried about, the lambda being 1.02 where the max is 1.03. All in all quite glad with the results, got it booked in Friday for the shock then gonna go claim my free re-test :)

As Ash said, defo get the tyre done.

Your currently compromising the full potentional of it's grip having it the wrong way round.

If you have mis-matched tyres, ie, the one the other side doesn't matter which way round it goes, then just swop sides. It will be the correct way round then.

Yup, i have already got the bulbs to change over, and the tyre is getting done tomorrow. I bought the wheels second hand when i got the car, the tyres were quite new still had a few bobbles on, its the only tyre thats on the wrong way round so the previous owner must of been driving like it too.(im a typical women, have never heard of tyres having to be a certain way!! lol)

Well good luck on ya M.O.T!!
And yes Chris you are a Numpty (Full Stop)

i'd suggest you get the tyre remounted the correct way by whoever put it on wrong. assuming you didn't buy the car like that.
Also, for shocks, if you can afford it, i'd suggest you get the pair done, and not just the one.

To answer the original question, i was advised that 3-6 clicks is ideal. i think most go up to about 9 clicks, but you are really pushing at the limit once you get past 6. Its a 5 minute job to adjust handbrakes usually, and most garages will include checking/adjusting it during a normal basic service.

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4 & now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

Your FIAT handbook with the car, (if you have it) will say between 3-7 clicks to be fully on.
The M.o.T. man should use this as the guide.
I prefer to adjust mine so it's on 5 clicks to be fully on - any less than 3 clicks risks the rear brakes touching a little when they're supposed to be off.