How do I install a Passive Sub??

Currently reading:
How do I install a Passive Sub??

Diss_50 said:
it is a 12" FLI (passive) i've done a bit of research and some are live and some are passive :confused: Does this mean I install it differently? I already have an amp. cheers :)

What it means is that live/active already have an amp installed - passive means you have to use a separate amp.

What's wrong with the RF Punch? What amp are you intending on using?

Diss_50 said:
Dunno what the RF Punch means? :D

I am using an amp from TheLoudest.com -

http://www.theloudest.co.uk/?sectionid=2&page=view_product&product_id=74

this will also power my 6x9's (y)

You'll have a job, as that amp's only a 2 channel (can find any mention of it running in tri mode, which I wouldn't be keen to do anyway and I remain unconvinced that the loudest stuff is all that good, especially from an SQ POV, although it could be a cheap source of a fair bit of power - although no RMS values are listed, which rings alarm bells in my head)

RF - Rockford Fosgate - it's in your sig ;)

tell you what chaos - you seem to be a pro at the ICE game, could you advise me what I should get? On a budget of £200-300. I can put things on hold at the moment - as I've just done with the loudest crap. Cheers. (y)

Diss_50 said:
tell you what chaos - you seem to be a pro at the ICE game, could you advise me what I should get? On a budget of £200-300. I can put things on hold at the moment - as I've just done with the loudest crap. Cheers. (y)

What is the 200-300 getting you? Just a sub and a suitable amp? Have you got the 6x9s?

well the 6x9's where part of the package from the loudest.. so I need an amp, sub and 6x9 or speakers. I'm thinking of putting speakers up front and getting a hold of gt doorcards.. what do you think best? i can push the boat out to a max of £350. thanks again chaos (y)

Theres a few 'good' deals on car audio security.com - which includes a sub and amp. think I would just need 6x9's or speakers upfront. But i'd take your advice on what to buy.

Last edited:
Diss_50 said:
well the 6x9's where part of the package from the loudest.. so I need an amp, sub and 6x9 or speakers. I'm thinking of putting speakers up front and getting a hold of gt doorcards.. what do you think best? i can push the boat out to a max of £350. thanks again chaos (y)

Theres a few 'good' deals on car audio security.com - which includes a sub and amp. think I would just need 6x9's or speakers upfront. But i'd take your advice on what to buy.

Right, leave the 6x9s. There's no need for any rear speakers whatsoever.

You got a Punto? Get the GT doorcards and get some 6.5" components in there :)

Get a 4 channel amp and a single sub - either a 10 or 12. Then you could spend a bit on some sound deadening at a later date if you so want, but I would recommend it :)

What I would do is get an amp such as this - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto754-p-4140.html Very good for the £100 price tag

I would go to Motorworld and get a JBL GT4-10 sub for £30. Punches well above its weight and would be ideal to run off the 75.4. Building your own sealed sub box is fairly straightforward and cheap.

Wiring would cost about £25.

For components, there are a huge number of choices, but something like these - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rainbow-slx265-deluxe-p-3852.html would fit the bill nicely.

You would then have a nice little bit left over to go towards some sound deadening :)

Of course, if you go second hand, then you could get a lot more for your money :D ;)

HTH

Diss_50 said:
What about one of these? :

1. http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/bass-pack-p-4277.html

or

2. http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/bass-pack-p-4278.html

Or should I just go for the GTO75.4 and 10'' JBL sub

(y)

If I had to choose, it'd be the second bass pack - although I'm not a fan of prefabbed boxes - a lot of them IMO aren't sturdy enough.

I would still go for a 75.4 + sub, as the front end would benefit from being amped. You could of course, get a bass pack and then sort out the front end separately, but that would mean having to do more wiring, and having a second amp. It's totally up to you :)

Ok,

2 ways you can run a passive amp,the 2nd one is the best way,

1. Wire the sub to the 6x9's ,and you'll get bass from the sub aswell as 6x9's

2.get an amp,run the power cable from the amp to the battery,black ground wire to an unpainted solid surface in the car,like a bolt in the boot ,or seatbelt mount ,connect the blue REM wire to the headunit Rem wire,

Wire the sub and 6x9's to the appropriate channel on the amp,

its really simple,you could work it out just by looking at what wires you have etc,

also disconnect your battery while wiring things like this up,it tends to blow fuses sometimes if done wrong.

garyaird11 said:
Ok,

2 ways you can run a passive amp,the 2nd one is the best way,

1. Wire the sub to the 6x9's ,and you'll get bass from the sub aswell as 6x9's

2.get an amp,run the power cable from the amp to the battery,black ground wire to an unpainted solid surface in the car,like a bolt in the boot ,or seatbelt mount ,connect the blue REM wire to the headunit Rem wire,

Wire the sub and 6x9's to the appropriate channel on the amp,

its really simple,you could work it out just by looking at what wires you have etc,

also disconnect your battery while wiring things like this up,it tends to blow fuses sometimes if done wrong.

That is of course, dependent on if your amp can handle the lower impedances

By following 1, 1 of 2 things could happen

1 - sub & 6x9s play low frequencies. Kind of defeast the object of having the 6x9s, as the subs will do the job much more effectively

2 - sub and 6x9s play full range - the sub will not like it.

Way 2 would involve a 4 channel amp, but for resons that have been stated plenty of times before, 6x9s are not mentioned. They aren't needed.

yep your right on both accounts chaos,6x9's are pointless,they look silly,they give people a reason to smash your car and steal them,and they sound crap,front components or doorcard speakers sound better,6x9's are really for chav's lol

Diss_50 said:
Ok - No 6x9s! (y) I'll get a GT74.5 Amp and a GT 4 sub - are these all active? I want to just plug and play. And upfront i'll get a decent set of components. :)

You're getting confused as to what active and passive are. The active you're on about relates to a sub powered by it's own amp as an all in one solution.

The GT4 is a passive sub, i.e. it needs a separate amplification source - in this case, 2 channels from the 75.4 bridged into a single mono channel, leaving 2 channels free for a set of components.

It's gonna be as plug and play as you're gonna get :)

Back