House Alarm Help

Currently reading:
House Alarm Help

If I cut the power to our house alarm when it is unarmed will it sound the alarm and would I need the code to disable it ( stop it from sounding) when I return power?

We've just moved into a new house, with alarm, but as of yet haven't found out the code for the alarm. Our outside light is also faulty and sparking every so often so I want to turn of the electric, install a new light and get the electric back on without any hassle with the alarm.

Can anyone advise?

This is very much a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, without knowing the make model date or anything else for that matter you might as well be asking us what your favourite cheese is.

The best thing you could do is call the number which will undoubtedly be printed somewhere on a sticker on the control box or on the outside wall unit, they will have installed it can probably reset the code or at least help you with your current problem.

Chances are if it's switched off killing the power shouldn't effect it unless its backup battery is knackered

All I have is the make on the control panel which is "Concept". There is nothing else on the external box, control panel etc already searched for that.

Will be calling a local alarm company in the morning to see if it is possible to reset the code to one of our own but was hoping someone could help advise to save paying unnecessary call out charges etc to get an engineer out.

I know if the back up battery is ok then it should be fine for 20mins until I repair the light but don't want to run the risk of cutting power, setting the alarm off being unable to get it off again and having a few pee'd neighbours at the noise.

Last edited:
diynot.co.uk has several engineers on that may be able to help you.

http://www.jpalarms.co.uk/Docs/ADE_Concept_User.pdf

The backup battery will likely last for a lot longer than 20 minutes unless it is knee-ackered.

It is the outside alarm that will be limited to 20 minutes, the battery in the bell box (if there is one) is there for if all power goes from the system and a fault exists.

Just try removing the fuse from the spur plate (there is one isn't there?) and see how it goes.

As long as the system is disabled and the backup battery is OK then it should last for a couple of hours while you replace your light fitting.

If you cannot obtain the codes for the alarm then its not actually that hard to replace the control unit only.

EDIT: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=179917

Last edited:
Could you not just kill the power to the external light through the fuse box?

I could and that is what I would do. However, as mentioned, I do not know the alarm code. So if I start pulling fuses, until I find the right one that feeds the circuit the light is on and I get to the fuse that the alarm is on first then I do not have the means to silence the alarm if it is likely to sound (that's the question i am looking for an answer too) as I have no code.

Back