Horn issues

Currently reading:
Horn issues

jayvee888

Hi Everyone,

I've got a fiat 500 with what seems to be a strange electrical issue with the horn. I only have basic knowledge of car electrics but to diagnose the problem of my horn not working, i have so far -

Checked the fuse, all fine, checked and swapped the relay, again fine and i can hear it clicking when i depress the horn switch on steering wheel.

Then using a multimeter i checked that voltage was getting to the plug when horn pressed, which it is. I then checked the ground from the plug to the battery and it reads fine.

Next i checked the horn by running 12v directly to it from the battery. The horn works.

I'm now thinking it could be a defective plug and it is just not connecting to the horn spades effectively or am i missing something simple here?

I seem to remember that when playing around with it the horn did sound once or twice when plugged in but then stopped after one or two depressions. Any help would be much appreciated as it is proving very frustrating.

Thanks!

You can still get 12V with poor connections, you need a load on it to weed this out. Try and measure the voltage at the horn end with a load connected. It's tricky but possible, if necessary stick a pin through the insulation and measure off that.

The plug's connectors and the horn's connectors are probably oxidized. I had this at mine. I cleaned them nice and the horn worked again, then in very short time they got oxidized again and the horn again wouldn't work. After that, I cleaned them once again and put some grease onto them (regular grease, not special for electric purposes). Horn works fine since and it's been a while.

The plug's connectors and the horn's connectors are probably oxidized. I had this at mine. I cleaned them nice and the horn worked again, then in very short time they got oxidized again and the horn again wouldn't work. After that, I cleaned them once again and put some grease onto them (regular grease, not special for electric purposes). Horn works fine since and it's been a while.
Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Yes it was the connectors from the plug into the horn. Cleaned them all up and now working just fine. :oops::rolleyes:

Back