Technical Honesty please! Are there Dualogic problems I should be aware of?

Currently reading:
Technical Honesty please! Are there Dualogic problems I should be aware of?

Mini2500

I am shortly changing to a Fiat 500 Dualogic (only have auto licence) and would like to be aware of any Dualogic problems.

I have a CVT Mini Cooper with a gearbox that can only be described
as great when it's good, but awful when it's having an off day! I get clunking, jumping at standstill and if I don't hold my foot tightly and heavily on the brake at traffic lights, you can feel it lurching to go. I had two weeks last year of it not selecting a gear and
screaming up to 50mph, but over that OK, but as I do town work this was not good! They are renowned for being terrible and that along with bad fuel economy is the reason for switching. It also is often dangerously slow at take off. It has been checked and has correct oil etc, but they are notoriously touchy!

However, I don't want to go from one situation to another and need honest answers from people with Dualogic 500s, to report any problems.

I am aiming for a 1.2 or 1.4 approx 3 years old. I have seen some Sport buttons on 1.4's, was this standard or an option? Does it mean the dualogic works in a different way?

No issues with Dualogic.

The sport button on the 1.4 (all of them have it I think) alters a couple of things but I don't believe it affects the gearbox.

Depends how you drive it. Mine broke after 14 months but they fixed it under warranty. Since then its been ok. Be soft with it and you should be fine. I'll let you know if it breaks again!

Mind you i do many miles and change the gears a ridiculous amount of times in the city, that 1.4 needs a certain amount of revs to get going, so you change it more than the 1.2 as the 1.2 is a more flexible engine.

Ahmett, I think that the fact that yours had gone wrong does not warrant a claim that the Dualogic can have problems depending on how you drive it.

I cannot recall anyone else on here having problems with theirs, and although the dualogic is not that common, I am sure that there would be more problems cropping up on here if indeed it was generally susceptible to problems if driven hard.

There will of course always be the odd one that is duff, and you may, of course, be the worst driver ever....

Thanks every, good to know there are few problems. I must admit, I try to stick the Mini in Drive and leave it, as I did an Alfa I had with Selespeed gearbox as I was frightened manually changing it up and down was just an accident waiting to happen! (Alfa's flappy paddles on the steering wheel did eventually give up the ghost, however this was probably due to hubbies Jeremy Clarkson style treatment).

Thanks every, good to know there are few problems. I must admit, I try to stick the Mini in Drive and leave it, as I did an Alfa I had with Selespeed gearbox as I was frightened manually changing it up and down was just an accident waiting to happen! (Alfa's flappy paddles on the steering wheel did eventually give up the ghost, however this was probably due to hubbies Jeremy Clarkson style treatment).

I agree that you don't want a husband who is too harsh with your flaps.

the gearbox itself is a regular mechanical box with a clutch, not CVT

the 'complex' bit is the electro-hydrualic actuator pack that replaces the normal shift mechanism and clutch
this is driven by electronics and witchcraft

these electro-hydraulic actuator pack has been known to fail prematurely and costs £1000, it has been in production many years now and traces its origins to Alfa Selepeed, Maserati Cambiocorsa and Ferrari F1 (y)

this is a very rare occurance though so no need to worry, I would make sure that you have a warranty in place though

OH's 1.2 Pop. Dualogic nearly 2yrs old with 15k no issues. My TA Lounge with Dualogic 11 months old, again no issues.(y)

Back