Technical Hill holder on Dualogic?

Currently reading:
Technical Hill holder on Dualogic?

My wife has only ever driven automatics. We now have a 1.2 dualogic. Because it is a robotised manual rather than a trad "torque converter" automatic, the car will roll back on a hill if not held with the hand brake (much to her consternation).

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a "hill holder" to this engine/gearbox?

I realise that the simple answer is to use the handbrake but 'er indoors doesn't like doing that....

My wife has only ever driven automatics. We now have a 1.2 dualogic. Because it is a robotised manual rather than a trad "torque converter" automatic, the car will roll back on a hill if not held with the hand brake (much to her consternation).

Does anyone know if it is possible to fit a "hill holder" to this engine/gearbox?

I realise that the simple answer is to use the handbrake but 'er indoors doesn't like doing that....

Bundled with ESP on the 500, and no it cannot be retrofitted.

erm, perhaps "er indoors" should stop driving until she learns how to use the handbrake (or indeed a car) properly? It is there for holding your car on a hill while you set off! :)

It is also much cheaper than trading in your 500 for one with ESP - tell her she can buy lots of shoes with the money saved by using a handbrake!

Tell er indoors to watch this instructional video:-
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4"]YouTube - Harry Enfield - Women, Don't Drive[/nomedia]

Last edited:
I hold my Dualogic on the footbrake on a hill and then when I need to restart the engine, I just move the gear stick and the engine starts.

Use the footbrake as you would a clutch to get the bite and off you go. No rolling backwards. (y)

I only ever put the handbrake on when I've parked.

You can hold the car stationary very nicely on a hill by pressing gently on the accelerator, then just press harder when you want to start moving.

Why is there such a resistance from some people to drive a car correctly and use the handbrake?

Too many people seem to get in their cars and then think to hell with the rest of the world, I can ignore safety and road laws and do whatever I like. Every car driver has a duty to be in control of their vehicle at all times.

If you roll back and end up crippling a child then I'm pretty sure the police will take a dim view of a reply back saying "I don' use handbrakes because I don't like them".

Sorry to go off on one, but too many people think they are masters of the universe as soon as they get in a car and sod everyone else.

Why is there such a resistance from some people to drive a car correctly and use the handbrake?

Too many people seem to get in their cars and then think to hell with the rest of the world, I can ignore safety and road laws and do whatever I like. Every car driver has a duty to be in control of their vehicle at all times.

If you roll back and end up crippling a child then I'm pretty sure the police will take a dim view of a reply back saying "I don' use handbrakes because I don't like them".

Sorry to go off on one, but too many people think they are masters of the universe as soon as they get in a car and sod everyone else.

I didn't say my wife does not use it and rolls back, I said she doesn't like having to do so. Sorry if that offends you.

Back