Technical ESC and Hill Holder unavailable!!!

Currently reading:
Technical ESC and Hill Holder unavailable!!!

george2596

Hi all,

Currently have a 2015 500s that is throwing up ESC unavailable and Hill Holder unavailable. Car drives absolutely fine however.

Interestingly plugged into the computer at my local Indy today showed torque sensor code. BUT power steering is absolutely fine. There are no issues with the power steering or indeed lack of power steering.

Codes were cleared and then about 3 hrs later the same warnings came back up.

Any ideas as to where to go from here? Has anyone has this same experience with regard to torque sensor coming up as a fault but still maintaining the power steering? I don’t even have the little red power steering icon come up or anything so I am majorly confused!!

Thanks all!!

I am getting a similar issue with our 2017 1.2. I have noticed that plugging a trickle charger in for a few hours seems to clear the faults, so I figured a new battery might be in order - but having swapped the battery at the weekend, the car was just the same today. It seems to be driving ok, although it seemed a bit hesitant a couple of times driving today.
May be earth straps? where would I find it (them)

From battery minus to chassis and from there to the gearbox. Think you have to take battery and its tray out to get there.

Hi all,

So, codes were cleared and the car did one journey without the light on. Then the light came back on... deflated.

Whilst looking online, the two common faults/causes of this issue seems to be the battery or the brake light switch/sensor.

Brake light switch/sensor goes in as is the first cheapest option before battery or further diagnostics. Very simple to change (under passenger footwell and very clear to see).

After three small journeys with the light still on probably until the car recognised that the fault was no longer there, the light has gone off and has stayed off for 5 days now!! Car has been driven around 25 miles per day for the last 5 days so decent-ish trips!

Happy days for the car, and major happy days for my wallet!

Definitely try a brake switch change before anything else, especially from the financial aspect as I think they are £9 on Amazon, or £30 direct from Fiat.

Hi all,

So, codes were cleared and the car did one journey without the light on. Then the light came back on... deflated.

Whilst looking online, the two common faults/causes of this issue seems to be the battery or the brake light switch/sensor.

Brake light switch/sensor goes in as is the first cheapest option before battery or further diagnostics. Very simple to change (under passenger footwell and very clear to see).

After three small journeys with the light still on probably until the car recognised that the fault was no longer there, the light has gone off and has stayed off for 5 days now!! Car has been driven around 25 miles per day for the last 5 days so decent-ish trips!

Definitely try a brake switch change before anything else, especially from the financial aspect as I think they are £9 on Amazon, or £30 direct from Fiat.
I will fit a new earth strap today. Have looked at the brake light switch - the plunger seem to move when brake pedal pressed and the brake lights work. is the piston in the switch supposed to remain in contact then the plate when the brake pedal it pressed? or just move about 5mm and then lose contact like mine does?

When the plunger is out the switched contact is closed, so no further contact to pedal needed.

When the plunger is out the switched contact is closed, so no further contact to pedal needed.
Ace, thanks - kinda what I thought. So far the earth strap swap seems to be successful - fingers crossed

Hi all,

is it still fixed? my earth strap replacement lasted for 3 days, before the warning lights popped up again. i have swapped over the brake light switch today so will see how that goes!

is it still fixed? my earth strap replacement lasted for 3 days, before the warning lights popped up again. i have swapped over the brake light switch today so will see how that goes!
Touch wood x100000 it is still absolutely fine and no issues at all. Saved us a good few £‘s!!

Back