General High Coolant Temperature ?

Currently reading:
General High Coolant Temperature ?

premcompgw

Hi all,

I have been given a 2002 Fiat Stilo 1.6 to drive at work.

I went out to the car this morning, and attempted to start it. Almost immediately, the display came up with "High Coolant Temperature" "Stop Engine". The unusual thing is that it was -4 degrees C here this morning.

My feeling is that it may be a faulty sensor, but I do not want to risk driving the car if it is going to cause damage to the engine.

Has anyone had this error before, and if so, what was the cause and how easy is it to fix ?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

GW

Was it a one off? Did it not do it again on the 2nd start attempt?
The one thing you can say for certain is that it's an electronics glitch if you get those warnings when the engine's stone cold of course.

If you can test the resistance of the eng temp sensor it should be as per the chart in the Stilo Guides "How to test your rad fan"

premcompgw,

I get the same warning on the first start every morning but only when the weather is cold. The car runs fine and the temp gauge sits at the halfway mark when running at normal tempreture.

I thought the battery may be on it's way out or something.

To Deckchair5 - It happened each of the times I attempted to start the engine. I did not leave the engine running long enough to heat it up, as I thought it would cause damage.

To Purpleronnie - Under normal conditions, my engine also runs fine and the temperature guage sits at halfway. When the error appeared it immediately went to very hot. Do you run your engine for a minute or so with the error, then start it again ? If not, what is your technique for correcting the error ?

GW

My car came up with a High Coolant Temperature warning this morning immeadiatly after turning the ignition key, followed immeadiatly by the Ice warning message. Its the first time it appeared and as Deckchair says its probably just a electrical glitch.

Yes, Same as you needle goes to the max hot position and i get a single bleep bleep warning temp hot etc (I know the engine is not hot because it's been parked in the garage all night), then the needle returns to the cold position the warning goes away and i drive my car as normal.

In the past i have turned the engine off and started it again and the fault does not re-appear now i don't bother i just carry on as if it never happend.
It only happens when the car is stone cold and not been started for hours thats why i thought about the battery. There are posts that say low batterys can play hell with a stilo, but mine starts the car ok so i'v not botherd to get it changed.

Had this all the time in the mornings.

It will clear itself after a few seconds.

Easiest way to solve it is to fit a new battery (try a higher capacity one from the diesel) - fitted mine a few months back and i haven't seen an error message since!

Had this all the time in the mornings.

It will clear itself after a few seconds.

Easiest way to solve it is to fit a new battery (try a higher capacity one from the diesel) - fitted mine a few months back and i haven't seen an error message since!

I agree a new battery might solve the problem on my car, I have notiched the last few months that the battery seems to be lacking power :rolleyes: when starting the car if you know what I mean :D

i two have a fiat stilo 1.6 2003 with the High Coolant Temperature" "Stop Engine". fault
i turn the egnition on and start it and it sead "High Coolant Temperature" "Stop Engine". but the engine is cold and its cold outside
i have just brought this one from a salvage dealer and the battery was a bit flat
is it safe to drive or not

i two have a fiat stilo 1.6 2003 with the High Coolant Temperature" "Stop Engine". fault
i turn the egnition on and start it and it sead "High Coolant Temperature" "Stop Engine". but the engine is cold and its cold outside
i have just brought this one from a salvage dealer and the battery was a bit flat
is it safe to drive or not

Absolutly fine, take it for a nice long drive to re-charge the battery :D

Yes, Same as you needle goes to the max hot position and i get a single bleep bleep warning temp hot etc (I know the engine is not hot because it's been parked in the garage all night), then the needle returns to the cold position the warning goes away and i drive my car as normal.

In the past i have turned the engine off and started it again and the fault does not re-appear now i don't bother i just carry on as if it never happend.
It only happens when the car is stone cold and not been started for hours thats why i thought about the battery. There are posts that say low batterys can play hell with a stilo, but mine starts the car ok so i'v not botherd to get it changed.
I had the High Coolant Temperature message as well, for the first time, yesterday. Never had this during previous cold spells, so battery may be the cause as we are doing more short runs lately. Making good use of our bus passes, you see.

Please for information about 14 days ago I was in fiat stilo 1.6 controller and changed everything around since my car after picking up chcípalo so I missed the service of approx. 100 km and once again, engine fault and High Coolant Temperature ... Then I discovered that it was radiator cap through several threads and there was pressure. After resealing the tank my car runs normally, but left me an error if the engine and the engine is cold I will write a High Coolant Temperature. Not sure if that was not closed container sensor could break and then it threw this error as well ...?

Back