Technical Hi, my new stilo has a misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Hi, my new stilo has a misfire

Staglad

Hi , just bought what we think is a great little run around knowing it has a slight hesitation when stamping on the throttle, seems ok when throttle is steady. Car is a stilo 1.6 . Going to try coils first, any other common faults that give this slight misfire? Also had the engine light come on but have cleared that with Rev idle x 3 method.
Cheers

Hi , just bought what we think is a great little run around knowing it has a slight hesitation when stamping on the throttle, seems ok when throttle is steady. Car is a stilo 1.6 . Going to try coils first, any other common faults that give this slight misfire? Also had the engine light come on but have cleared that with Rev idle x 3 method.
Cheers
can be spark plugs are bad, or covered in unburnt fuel so they wont spark. if you take out spark plugs and have a look you should get a better idea. note : if there is fluid down in your spark plug wells, DONT remove spark plugs until you have dabbed the fluid out.

Hi thanks for the reply, ok will check plug as well. Cheers

When was the last timing belt (+all other bits and bobs) change? I bought a 1.6 Stilo in February, and the timing belt skipped 1-2 teeth and was misfiring like hell. It gave funny (misfire, injection failure and so on) errors, but after fixing, it's OK

9kmiles and 31/2 years since cambelt. It's an 05 car with only 30k on the clock.��

Disconnect the electrical sensor on your MAP. If the misfire disappears when you run it .. it's your MAP.

I had the same problem on a Cinquecento, which is the worst car in the world.

Agree with what has been said above. The obvious things to check are all those related to the fueling and ignition.

Spark plugs is obvious one, as is the coil packs. Check the sensors responsible for fueling trims, i.e. MAP, MAF and Lambda sensors. You may also want / need to check the earthing for the engine if the spark remains weak.

Disconnect the electrical sensor on your MAP. If the misfire disappears when you run it .. it's your MAP.

So the car will run with the map sensor disconnected with out any issues?

Agree with what has been said above. The obvious things to check are all those related to the fueling and ignition.

Spark plugs is obvious one, as is the coil packs. Check the sensors responsible for fueling trims, i.e. MAP, MAF and Lambda sensors. You may also want / need to check the earthing for the engine if the spark remains weak.
Some great pointer there thanks. looking forward to getting stuck in.

Yes, if you disconnect the MAP and run the car any 'misfire' will disappear - if the MAP is at fault. Classic symptom of a malfunctioning MAP is the car jerks and splutters like it had a misfire.

It won't run as efficiently mpg wise with the mAP disconnected, but it is a good pointer to where the trouble lies.

Man. Worst car in the world? Seriously? You have it on your profile image. Why talk so bad on such little great car?

Nothing but trouble, Zedorio, nothing but trouble. Low mileage - which is probably the cause of all the woes. It stood for too long, and that's what causes all sorts of grief.

The car had averaged 26 miles per week over 22 years by it's previous owner. It probably was a 'shopping car' which never got out of 2nd or 3rd gear. Things stick, seize and stop working. The first job I had to do was change -not adjust- all the tappets which had seized solid and literally sounded like a machine gun. That was only the beginning .. and yes, trailing arm bushes do perish on low mileage cars. Thermostats corrode just with standing and you're liable to get many electrical faults

Now, faced with the possibility of having to remove the cylinder head to investigate a knocking noise ... Do I lift the head or swap the 900cc engine for a 1100cc unit, or not bother...

The saving grace of the car is its rust free body and it's so easy to work on. I'll probably do the work and keep it as a 'hobby car'. This is the first Fiat I've owned in 44 years of driving. There's not many Cinquecentos left on the road and well, it's a bit of motoring history. In 20 years time you'll pay £10,000 for a Cinquecento.

How do I know that? Back in the early 70s the original Fiat 500 could be bought - secondhand - for pocket money prices. Most of them ended up in scrapyards because they weren't worth the cost of repairs. Now .. a Fiat 500 will cost you between £10,000 - £14,000. Cinquecentos will be the same. They're quite rare now.

Worst car in the world? Nah, that was just a throwaway line. Some days you hate your car... But, if you have something old and interesting, hang onto it. Todays banger and junk is tomorrow's classic.

Have a look at the classic car auction website and you'll see what I mean:
mathewsons(dot)co(dot)uk

So what IS the worst car in the world? Well .. if you've ever had to change the timing chain on an old Renault 5, you'd say the Renault 5 was the worst car in the world. Or how about removing the entire engine/gearbox on a Maxi to strip the gearbox down simply to replace a nut that had come undone and moved the entire gear range into neutral (common problem on the old Maxi..). Not forgetting the Vauxhall Viva 1256 HC which as far as cars go, was a complete hypochondriac.

But .. every car has its problems and that's what it's all about, love 'em or hate 'em. I have two (very old) 4 litre jeeps. My wife has an old Saab. Total monthly mileage covered by 4 vehicles is a whopping 60 miles. I do all my own repairs such as changing differential bearings in the jeeps/overhauling the auto boxes (both common problems..).

The Cinquecento isn't the worst car in the world, depending on what day it is..

So the car will run with the map sensor disconnected with out any issues?

If the car has such low mileage, I wouldn't get too worried about the coils. It's more likely to be "low use" related.. either slightly gummed up injectors or sooted up spark plugs (running on "rich" settings all the time).

Try a whole bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and take the beast out for a long drive... at least 20 miles to make sure the oil gets hot and on the motorway so you can accelerate using over 4000rpm through the gears. No need to rev the B'Jesus out of it... just get it hot and use moderate revs as you accelerate, to exercise the injectors. That might sort it.

The more you use it, the better it will get, if it's a sticky/dirty injector.

Ralf S.

Thanks for the reply guys, I won't be worried by a little tdc needed, I'm used to car stress I own a stag :)

Back