General Hi all Fiat Stilo 1.9jtd estate owner. You can ask why!,and yes it has problems?

Currently reading:
General Hi all Fiat Stilo 1.9jtd estate owner. You can ask why!,and yes it has problems?

Please help,instrument cluster not working but vehicle starts and drives.I have checked the under bonnet fuse box,no corrosion, checked earths new battery. To go further I need a wiring diagram and fuse relay layout. Or can somebody point me in the right direction. Purchased the car for my daughter two weeks later it was attacked with bricks glass and panel damaged,got this repaired now can not use it.

Hi John

I dodged the stilo..
No dealers in my region back then

It was a departure from the Tipo/ tempra I had liked, diesel engines still class leading.. but electrics were suspect on the Stilo

Lots of Old info on here..

I see there is a stilo thread in view tonight.. say hi on there

A few of the stalwarts should spot that

Charlie - near the M4

The fuse for the clocks is (from memory) F35 and is located under the dashboard, not under the bonnet... but it controls other services too, so you might have noticed if it was burnt out. The clocks do die occasionally.. if you have any sign of life (buzzing noise, a few lights work, or the needles twitch etc.) then it's most likely a knacked cluster.

If you can take them out and send them to Holland (use a proper delivery service, not Royal Mail, or they'll go AWOL from experience..) then @yellowstilo one of our forum members, if he's still alive... :p can fix it.. although any competent UK-based ECU/Speedo repair place can also fix it, just more expensive.

Don't bother trying to find a replacement clocks set.. you need diesel clocks, you need a lower mileage than your car, so that you can adjust it (only possible) upwards to your mileage, and then you'll need to proxy-align the new clocks to the car.. it's just a lot more hassle than fixing your own clocks.

Ralf S.

A petrol dash will work ok, As the Jtd I have now had one in it. Then get your one repaired. I got luck and got one on ebay.

The fuse for the clocks is (from memory) F35 and is located under the dashboard, not under the bonnet... but it controls other services too, so you might have noticed if it was burnt out. The clocks do die occasionally.. if you have any sign of life (buzzing noise, a few lights work, or the needles twitch etc.) then it's most likely a knacked cluster.

If you can take them out and send them to Holland (use a proper delivery service, not Royal Mail, or they'll go AWOL from experience..) then @yellowstilo one of our forum members, if he's still alive... :p can fix it.. although any competent UK-based ECU/Speedo repair place can also fix it, just more expensive.

Don't bother trying to find a replacement clocks set.. you need diesel clocks, you need a lower mileage than your car, so that you can adjust it (only possible) upwards to your mileage, and then you'll need to proxy-align the new clocks to the car.. it's just a lot more hassle than fixing your own clocks.

Ralf S.
Hi Ralf,Thanks for the reply,having spent more time looking at the car when I unlock and open door if the clocks are going to work then the orange screen will light and the clocks work car starts.If the orange screen does not light no screen but car starts and all other operations work fine.Some times when the screen operates normally and engine is running the locking system will operate the tail gate lock a number of times.Suspecting the body computer to be faulty I purchased a second hand unit to try only to discover that the key is coded to it?.Visited the local Fiat dealer who told me the the unit once coded could not be changed.I do not think this is true. Do you no if the unlocking and opening door is part of the staring process,ie could I have a damaged cable in door.

If the screen is trying to do something then the cluster needs repairing.. so that's an "easy" one.

The locking tailgate is probably unrelated and I wouldn't blame the BCM out of hand.. it's more likely to be something in the wiring to the boot latch. I would clean all the dry grease and dirt off the boot latch and then spray it with some WD40 and some clean grease to work it all in. The latch contact might be just not seating 100% on the micro-switch... although I think the microswitch isn't easily serviceable. Some people can replace them on some cars.... but I dunno the Stilo one, and on my old Alfa 145, the "fix" was to replace the entire latch with a second-hand one.

The BCM does contain the immobiliser code... but if yours is definitely knackered *and* it's not something that an ECU repairer can fix then you can replace the BCM and just swap all the chips from your BCM onto the new one. If you're best mates with an ex Royal Navy missile technician or someone who is good at soldering small circuits then they don't need to understand what they're doing... just swap the chips from one to the other and it'll work. I would tend to try to repair the original though.. since it's the same levell of effort (cost) if a professional is doing it, and a replacement BCM may be just a few months from also failing.

Ralf S.

A petrol dash will work ok, As the Jtd I have now had one in it. Then get your one repaired. I got luck and got one on ebay.

A petrol/diesel mutant will work.. but the revcounter needle will point to the position where the rpm markings *would* be on the recipient car.

So if you have a diesel car with a petrol rev-counter, when it's doing 3000rpm say, the needle will be pointing straight up, at the12 o'clock position (since that is where the JTD rev-counter has 3000rpm). If you have a petrol rev-counter fitted, then the 12 o'clock position will have c. 4000rpm marked on it, so your JTD will be doing 3000rpm but indicating 4000. You could change the face etc. obviously.. or just ignore that it's incorrect, if you want the rest of the clocks to be working/as a temporary fix.

Ralf S.

I would say the dash needs repairing for certain, Microswitch for the boot. Does it unlock using the key fob? If you have the split tailgate you could still get the tailgate glass unit which included the button for the tailgate glass and the numberplate light unit from fiat for I think less than £40. To be honest, once you get the little glitches ironed out they are a decent reliable old lump.

Doesn't really matter much where the rev counter points and to be quite honest it was a good few years after I had bought it before I realised it was a petrol one anyway. Its always worth keeping an eye on eBay for clocks as they do sometimes turn up.

Hi all, The boot lock is being told to open even when It has been unlocked(does not unlock with the doors,but will open on its own later you can hear it click) .The dash clocks work perfectly,when they have power!!! now I notice that the MODE button with not operate,

I would say the dash needs repairing for certain, Microswitch for the boot. Does it unlock using the key fob? If you have the split tailgate you could still get the tailgate glass unit which included the button for the tailgate glass and the numberplate light unit from fiat for I think less than £40. To be honest, once you get the little glitches ironed out they are a decent reliable old lump.

Doesn't really matter much where the rev counter points and to be quite honest it was a good few years after I had bought it before I realised it was a petrol one anyway. Its always worth keeping an eye on eBay for clocks as they do sometimes turn up.
The dash works perfectly when it has power!!! ,The boot lock works by key or central locking fine but does not unlock with doors but will at some point unlock,you can here it click,but will then click again at random,and now I have noticed that the MODE switch does not operate, when the dash and car are operating fine.Can these problems be found using some form of Diagnostics equipment.

Back