HELP??????

Currently reading:
HELP??????

hello everyone,
Having loads of probs getting onto the site today?
still no car, but can anyone tell me what would have happened if the battery and alternator had cut out while I was driving? And how much it would cost to have these repairs done at a garage?

I'm working all this weekend (nights) so I'll digest all your info and get back to you all on monday. But I certainly am determined to do something about this place. many, many thanks for your kind support.
mrsval.

I've had trouble getting on too.

Sorry can't help you on your last question as it involves the engine management system and my old banger doesn't have that ...

It's amazing how out of touch you can get - I did get an electronics degree back in 1976 but I really don't have a clue about modern cars!

Steve

Drives a Panda 1000CL [:0] but still has a sense of humour!

(I'm on [email protected] and [email protected])

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox and mouldy upholstery ;)
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's cold and wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

Ciao Val

In Italy a man had your same problem and he asked to ACI (Automobile Club Italia) what to do... I report you ACI reply:

In UE all things selled have two years of warranty (European directive 1999/44/CE, Italy acknowledged it and I think also UK )... your Punto isn't new... but you have all the same a limited warranty for law: "...that the two parties can fix in the contract..." and however "...not lower of a year...".
As your Punto isn't new, in the contract must be written thing is covered by warranty and thing not!... Read it!

Go to a consumers' association... they will help you!

Alternator, moved by the engine, charge the battery... if while you are driving it cut out, the battery can't be charged... so a warning light (a little battery) will light up in your dash display... then you must go as soon as possible in a garage, because the engine will switch off it self when the battery will be totally dischaged...

In bocca al lupo!

Ciao ciao :)

Roberto

If the battery and alternator stoped working.
The engine will stop + no light-indicators-etc.plus the brake pedl will go hard as the brake servo will not be working
The alternator is away of charging the battery to keep the car runing.

Hi everyone,
I rang trading standards today but I'm afraid there's nothing I can do because the guy at the garage has taken the car back to fix. The only alternative is to go to CAB and take the garage to the small claims court and I don't know if I could afford the £££s, the time or the hassle To say the least...I feel gutted... I think I'll just have to put it down to experience???????
A fiat punto dream turned sour..........................

Im sorry 2 hear that but atleast they took it back 2 fix it 4 free but it still doesn't cover the lost time spent trying 2 sort ur prob out and the car being useless 4 so long. Lets hope once its fixed u get many miles hassle free motoring with it

FIAT CinqueCento = Recycled Ferrari :D

I think what we all need when buying a car (new or second hand) is for the companies to act on behalf of their customers and to stop rogur dealers giving the companies a bad name. What do you think?

I'm back and yes you've guessed.......it packed up again. the car worked like a dream until Saterday, I went out for a drive and slowed down at traffic lights and the all I could here was a squeeling sound ? then I noticed the brake light flashed, I checked the handbrake was ok, it was and the driver with told to go home straight away I had a problem, (which I knew of course) went home and parked up this was about 4pm. At 5.30pm I went back to the car (curiosity got the better of me) and started the car up and guess what???? nothing, zilch.......I rang the garage and got .....yep same old story from the same guy..I don't understand the alternator and the battery were supposed to be changed???????? I asked him what he was going to do about it because they have had more miles and petrol out of my car than I've had. He said he would pick it up 1st thing Monday 31/3/03, as usual I took a day off work and waited............no one came. So I rang the garage again only to be told by the son of the manager of the garage that he didn't know anything about it and his father was off sick and for me to wait in on Tuesday morning and someone would be around to pick up the car, I explained to him I was on night duty on the tuesday night and i would very tired On Tuesday morning so will they definately be out. yes for definite came the reply I waited and waited still no one came so I rang again late afternoon only to be told there was not enough staff in because his dad was off sick and for me to ring back next day to make sure that someone was comming to pick up the car on Wednesday morning 2/4/03, I rang again and spoke to someone completely different and explained the problem again he said to ring tomorrow Thursday 3/4/03, at 9.30am (I explained I am on night duty)and he would make sure someone arrived to pick up the car, he said he would kick ass..but I doubt it.so I,ll let you all know.....sick as a chip or what.half tank of petrol in there too and going no where.

I agree with Fixit report them 2 trading standards bcos there taking the pi** now they obviously done a bodge job on it when they took it 2 fix. I wud demand ur money back and let them keep the car and go find urself another 1.

FIAT CinqueCento = Recycled Ferrari :D

aahhh thanks Pete, I might just take you up on your offer one day.
Anyway the upshot is, is that 2 guys came to collect the car yesterday, one of them got into a right tiz, they tried 3 times to jump start the motor to no avail, they could hardly attach the jump lead because there wasn't much room, then he discovered that there was a nut missing and the screw to the battery was loose! Believe it or not they asked me for pliers and spanners which I went and got for them (dead embarrassed I was standing in the street watching jump leads being attached, I don't know how many times since the end of January, doing the same thing to the car) but still they couldn't get the engine to breathe let alone the screw to tighten, mind you even if the screw had tightened the nut was still missing and the battery was still dead, by this time I was beginning to feel paranoid ( were these really mechanics sent round to my car to cause more mayhem, I shoved this thought out of my head pretty quickly because I was feeling pretty wrecked, I'd been on night duty and I told them so.

At this point they decided the best course of action was to go back to the garage at Newcastle autoparc, and then come back to the car with a recharged set of jump leads.
I was supposed to get the car back the same day so I duly rang at 4.30pm to be told the brakes were fine and this other manager was out looking for a new radio for the car..which i've waited for since I bought the car. I was on night duty last night, its now 10.03am and they were supposed to ring or bring the car back this morning........nothing yet..... just rang the other manager is back and says they're just waiting for another guy to recode a new radio and they've put in a new battery????? I should have the car back for tonight....REALLY!!!!!! I'll wait and see before I pass judgement on these cowboys. These people have created an angry monster since the day they sold me the car.

Hi everyone,
just to keep you all up to date, after loads of phone calls of when am i going to get my car back? and the excuses they gave me, the car is now outside my door. I can't drive it until tomorrow now because the driver who was going to come with me so i could get some practice couldn't wait around again for another day, so i'll have to wait until tomorrow. If it goes wrong in the same way again you and the rest of the world have my solemn promise that I'll tell you exactly who they are.

Tell us anyway, as you've had enough grief to last you a lifetime! Hope this time everything works out okay.

It goes without saying that you need to choose another dealer for your servicing etc!!

Steve the elder statesman

Tries to drive a Panda 1000CL [:0] but still has a sense of humour!

B-button.gif
B-button.gif
rule!

(I'm on [email protected] and [email protected])

Just picked up this thread.

Notice that you haven't posted for a couple of days, so I hope the car is OK now.

Going back to the beginning you posted that you couldn't find the original advert on your PC. If you don't clear out your history the web page will be in C:\windows\temporary internet files. Set the View to "List" and sort the files by date.

The original web page will be in there on the date you accessed it.

If the garage advertises locally you may also be able to get a back copy of the local newspaper with the information on from the papers offices.

Did you get a warranty with the car?

Usually the alternator will be covered by this, as would power steering (if it is actually fitted). Quite often these are 3rd party offerings and have the benefit that you can take the car to a decent garage, get the work done and they then refund the bill.

It can be a real p**ser when you buy a 2nd hand car and it goes wrong but unfortunately what you are actually buying is someone elses problem that they traded in.

Hopefully the price you paid wasn't too high and you can afford to have it serviced by a decent garage.

Back