help please

Currently reading:
help please

james harrington

just purchased a stilo 1.6 ,and the engine has blown up.I work for ford as a living so never looked under a bonnet of a another make of car,
so it a very nice car a 54 plate with 30,000 miles bought at an auction for £300
11 months mot,so not a bad buy,full leather trim and very good condition.
so the big question,how long will it take to remove the engine,haven't even opened the bonnet yet,
does the front panels come off and remove,or is it down or up through to remove,plan to get a low mileage engine,fit new belts and clutch etc and refit.
worked on ford since school,every car make is different,and also any tips please

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by 'engine has blown up' , perhaps it's only a top end blow up i.e. cylinder head/ valves. If it was my car I'd probably remove the cyl. head to see what has gone wrong assuming it hasn't put a rod out through the block! Perhaps you just prefer to fit a good s/h engine for cost/time reasons. Anyway as fingers99 has said above, most people drop the engine+gearbox out rather than lift them out.

Al.

thanks i have a full workshops including ramps and air tools.so no issue with that.I can get a low mileage engine and gear box for £300.
its often quicker to take the unit out,then spend a few hows taking the top off then find out the unit is knackered.
Loads of smoke and the car stopped,engine seized solid .
A fiesta its around 25 hours full swap,but i know these cars ,how long for a fiat.

The entire front panel including radiator, fan, air conditioning condenser (if fitted), headlamps etc. comes off, so the engine can be rolled out the front on a trolley jack.

Please post any further Stilo issues in Stilo section of the forum here: www.fiatforum.com/stilo

Attachments

• Front Panel.JPG
    Front Panel.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 16
should be doable in 8 hours with full workshop but if its taking you 25 to do a fiesta then probably a lot longer

jeez is THAT why fiesta's are so cheap as used buys..,
I've not done a Stilo, as I tend to go for smaller cars,
as Davren says, there will be lots of helpful advice in the Stilo section,

the FIRE engined fiats, are VERY straightforward.. should be 8 / 10 hours,
so the bigger - more complex 1.6 should be 8 / 12 Hrs - I suspect,

are you fixing to sell..??,
as I would spend the time doing it right if it was a "keeper" - rather than an unknown used set-up,;)

Charlie

25 hours to change a Fiesta engine? I hope that wasn't a warranty claim, I used be a Ford Master Technician and I'd love to see you get that one approved! Anyhoo, drop the Stilo lump out the bottom like the man says.

Back