Technical Help please on removing valve/camshaft cover

Currently reading:
Technical Help please on removing valve/camshaft cover

Hi,

I need to remove the valve cover on my 1997 B. I already have removed the coil cover. If anyone knows the following I would appreciate some advice:

1. Once I remove the two bolts holding in each coil do they just pull out? Do I need to by a new gasket of some sort or can they just be put back in when I refit the cover?
2. The valve cover is help down with 8 obvious bolts. If I remove these will it just lift off? Is there another screw that goes through the plastic timing belt cover into the valve cover? (It is a little tight to see in there)
3. Is the rubber gasket under the valve cover normally reuseable or should I plan on having to get a new one?

Just looking for a little guidance before I remove the thing. As you may have guessed I plan to bead blast it and paint it.

Thanks for your help
BR

1: once you remove the screws of the coil you can pull them off the spark plugs. Make shure you put them back in the right order afterwards.

2: I think you need to remove the left plastic drivebelt cover in order to remove the rocker cover. No need to remove any other bolts then the ones seen on the front.

3: My mechanic reused the gasket but dit a comlete liquid gasket on the head so I would seal off good. Best is to get yourself a new gasket .

If you want a guidance, just download the workshop manual

Thanks very much for your help. I looked at the manual but it doesn't mention the gasket or whether I can remove the cover without tking off the plastic cam belt cover as well.
Many thanks
BR

Most importantly, be careful when you refit the cam cover as the far right top and bottom bolt holes have a tendancy to snap which renders the whole camcover useless, so DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!

Back