Technical Help, no Dipped Beam

Currently reading:
Technical Help, no Dipped Beam

Digi Dreamer

Hi, Need a little assistance

searched the forums, but nothing for the MK3 Panda. mines a 64 plate

Had a blown Dipped filament on the Drivers side, replaced the bulb, worked for a bit, next time i went to use it, no light, if i mess about with the plug it comes to life, tightened the connectors, problem persists, now the passenger side has come out in sympathy, i can only get it to work by unplugging the reconnecting the bulb, got caught out last night when i lost both while driving, got them on again, dead again this morning, don't see any designation for dipped beam fuses, stalk seems ok, can't find a wiring diagram any where,

any one know of a fix?

many thanks

near the fusebox in the car there is a black junctionbox (called bsi). in that box the lowest connector is for the headlights and they tend to get to hot and short.

was working fine until you changed a blown bulb. Sounds like the problem "May" be the part fitted

the body computer senses the circuit for faults and will shut it down if a fault is found

I would try a different bulb first. Wilkinson's here in the UK sell ring bulbs at a reasonable price. I have had problems with pound shop bulbs in the past. Although slightly different. Glass exploding and filaments melting in days

The post above is correct. The melted connector under the steering wheel is worth checking

it was a p/land bulb, got a Ring bulb just arrived, always kept spare bulbs, replace as used..

Last edited:
Ok, new Ring bulb fitted, works a treat, passenger side went on the fritz, same issue, body computers very choosy about it's bulbs..

thanks for the advise..

Oh Deers I think Ive fallen fowl of the new layout.... SORRY I now only ever change bulbs in Pairs. I have been advised the failure of one can spike the other which may fail afterwards if one new bulb is fitted. I dont know if this is in any way connected to your issue but I now but and fit two and keep teh second until I have another failure. I then use two bulbs with the same use / life pattern as a pair. I have not had any problems since doing this. A few years back I had a Vauhall company car and all 4 headlight bulbs failed within 24 hours. I was eventally forced to call for help when the fog lights followed suit at 5pm on a friday night heading north out of London. THankfully Vauxhall fleet leapt into action and stayed open for an extra hour to help. Thats is good service by anyones standard.

If the light works when you prod the wiring check earthing to the bodywork and feel the wires to see if there are hot spots that could indicate a break in the wire. Use a spare wire to connect the bulb + directly to the battery if the light stays off you can confirm its the - /earth wire thats playing up, or a faulty bulb. You can buy replacement bulb plugs on ebay and solde then in.

Last edited:
The headlight connectors have a sliding ring that moves sideways then the plug pulls off. Easy when you know how. But for they are confusing for the uninitiated, especially as they will twist easily enough, potentially causing damage. Add that the wires are pretty small for the current they have to carry.

Back