Technical Help needed to identify this strange noise

Currently reading:
Technical Help needed to identify this strange noise

Meho

Hello,
Can someone help me solve from where this noise coming from?
It appears sometimes on startup and while driving but not so often.
I have hard time trying to find where is it coming from mostly because it starts unexpectedly.
As you see, when I turned off and on engine again it stopped.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Link of the video:
[ame]https://vimeo.com/340310641[/ame]

Hello,
It appears sometimes on startup and while driving but not so often.
I have hard time trying to find where is it coming from mostly because it starts unexpectedly.
As you see, when I turned off and on engine again it stopped.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Link of the video:
https://vimeo.com/340310641
Bloody scary sounding it is hahaha

Can't say I've heard it before but just a hunch it might be a belt. Now I'd check around your auxiliary belt. Check for tension and the condition of the belt and go all the way around it to see if there's something poking into it. If you find nothing wrong it might be your timing belt perhaps? What engine have you got?

Bloody scary sounding it is hahaha

Can't say I've heard it before but just a hunch it might be a belt. Now I'd check around your auxiliary belt. Check for tension and the condition of the belt and go all the way around it to see if there's something poking into it. If you find nothing wrong it might be your timing belt perhaps? What engine have you got?
Changed all the belts few months back. I have done that, looks pretty fine by me.
It is a 1.4 16v engine

Changed all the belts few months back. I have done that, looks pretty fine by me.
It is a 1.4 16v engine
Its clearly rotational along with engine RPM. Do any of the pulleys wiggle a little too much? Maybe it's worth taking your belt off and checking your bearings.

Would love to help but honestly never had one making such a noise to me (yet haha)

Thats a nackered pulley / bearing in a unit

Id start by ensuring battery is charged as you will need to whip the auxillary belt.off and start the engine (yes battery light will be on but thats fine)
And if the noise goes
Then its on the auxillary side
Check tensioners and runners (spin them and feel how they run)
A gritty or wobbly bearing can make a horrendous.noise

Dont forget to check alternator and aircon pump
As they have bearings and can fail too

Ziggy

Sent from my SM-G920F using FIAT Forum mobile app

Hello,

I think that must be the alternator because of the high speed sound.

The alternator pulley is small and gets driven off the large crankshaft pulley. No other part of the engine races like that when the car is idling.

The alternator is exposed to getting wet crud falling into it from the hoses that come from the area the windscreen wiper motor is in which might account for the intermittant noise.

Thats a nackered pulley / bearing in a unit

Id start by ensuring battery is charged as you will need to whip the auxillary belt.off and start the engine (yes battery light will be on but thats fine)
And if the noise goes
Then its on the auxillary side
Check tensioners and runners (spin them and feel how they run)
A gritty or wobbly bearing can make a horrendous.noise

Dont forget to check alternator and aircon pump
As they have bearings and can fail too

Ziggy

Sent from my SM-G920F using FIAT Forum mobile app
Thanks for your help.
I spent all morning checking all the pulleys and belts. everything seems fine by feel, no play and no strange noise.
Problem is that i cant get to the alternator mainly because it is too deep the engine bay and I cant jack up the car to take the wheel off.
As well I found out that the only time this noise is replicated is when u rev up the engine over 4k but once the revs fall down, noise goes away.

I will change my oil and filters in roughly 15 days so I will take it to the shop this time to check it out as well.
There shouldn't be any issue driving with this for 2 weeks, right?

Thanks for your help.
I spent all morning checking all the pulleys and belts. everything seems fine by feel, no play and no strange noise.
Problem is that i cant get to the alternator mainly because it is too deep the engine bay and I cant jack up the car to take the wheel off.
As well I found out that the only time this noise is replicated is when u rev up the engine over 4k but once the revs fall down, noise goes away.

I will change my oil and filters in roughly 15 days so I will take it to the shop this time to check it out as well.
There shouldn't be any issue driving with this for 2 weeks, right?
Actually I think I might have had this noise once. Was this after leaving the car for a "relativity" long time unused?

Actually I think I might have had this noise once. Was this after leaving the car for a "relativity" long time unused?
I use my car on daily basis, it has 190k on the oddo so it shouldn't be because of that.

I use my car on daily basis, it has 190k on the oddo so it shouldn't be because of that.
Fair enough. I just remember the alternator bearing make a very similar noise the first time I started it up after leaving it outside a few months.

Use a long screw driver,touch various areas,and put screw drive handle to your ear,this will isolate and magnify the noise. Alternator,air con,belt tensioner,if not them,cambelt cover off and check water pump and idler pulleys.

Use a long screw driver,touch various areas,and put screw drive handle to your ear,this will isolate and magnify the noise. Alternator,air con,belt tensioner,if not them,cambelt cover off and check water pump and idler pulleys.
Thanks for your answer, the only thing is that this nosie is happening rarely and hard to replicate.
When it does happen, it lasts few seconds and its gone. Sometimes happens during driving and goes away quickly...

Back