General Help needed for short notice Euro run

Currently reading:
General Help needed for short notice Euro run

doolahrock

Hi Folks

I've had a trip to the Nova Rock Festival in Austria planned with some friends for a while now. However, I now have a blocked ear and have a last ditch syringing appointment at the doctors for Thursday but I fear that if it doesn't clear, I may be stuffed for flying.

So plan B(archetta) is to to take the ferry to Amsterdam and drive there and meet my friends at the other end. Myself and a friend plan to see a gig in Amterdam on Tuesday next week, fly back to Edinburgh and fly out to Bratislva the same day to meet up with our friends for the short trip to the Festival ground in Austria. It sounds nuts I know but the Amsterdam gig we have done on a 'what the hell' basis and we already had our flights to Bratislava booked.

I would need to get the ferry on sunday to meet my friend on monday in Amsterdam. I really don't want to have to drive anywhere near Amsterdam as I hate driving in small-ish towns in Holland nevermind Amsterdam itself. Is there anyway of parking up in a secure car park and getting public transport into the centre? I had a quick look at the Schipol airport site but they are looking for 50 Euro for the three days which seems really steep. Could get the same at Edinburgh airport for about 15 quid

From there it would be a two day trip through Germany to reach final destination in Austria. I know I need a sticker for Austria like in Switzerland. Are these easy to obtain en route as I'll not have time to get one delivered here.

If you guys can think of anymore advice it would be greatly appreciated. I've driven through quite a few countries in Europe before in the B but I guess I'm a little paniced at the short notice of this possibility. :worship:

As regards the Swiss Motorway Carnet that'll expire end of 2009, that is never a problem. On entering Switzerland by M'way, Police immediately direct you to a booth to pay. It's as quick as paying a toll and a major source of income so smoothly done. The only thing to be wary of is : If you pay by 'Foreign Currency' you'll always get change in Swiss Francs that is only useful whilst there.
The 'secure' Dutch parking is a slight hurdle. My brother lives in Holland and 'fights' to park his car at home in Harleem. Amsterdam as you are aware is very dire. There is a fast ferry (30mins) from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam Train Station. But I still don't know a secure parking spot.

Well I've been no help whatsoever. The pre senile decay must be galloping quicker. You're not touching Switzerland, still if you were............
Two days seems a long jaunt thru Germany?

Yeah, two days does seem a lot. Looking at distance it's over 1100km to reach the festival site from Amsterdam so it's a long haul for one day.

You could plan your route to go via the Nurburg Ring (bad spelling sorry) for a few laps, we did it 2 years back on our way to Slovenia via Austria. Are you going to the Hook, I'm sure there will be parking there at the terminal (the website will tell you ) and you can get a train from there to Amsterdam, It did take us 2 days to get to Austria from Rotterdam, solid rain all the way and the Germans are quick drivers!! If someone flashes you get out the way fast. If you stay off the Austrian M Ways no need for a carnet.

Chris

You can pick up a sticker for Austria on the German side in a garage near the border, but last time we didn't bother (to be honest I forgot about it).

Driving from Holland to Austria should be do-able in 12 hours without pushing it and taking time to stop for a pee and something to eat. Last time I did it it seemed the whole of Germany was up for road works so be prepared to trundle along at 90km/h for miles at a time.

If you swap driving with your mate every few hours it should be no problem. Make sure you've got some Euros in cash for the toilet though :)

Don't know about parking in Amsterdam but I didn't find driving there too much bother, apart from suicidal cyclists and narrow roads.... on second thoughts keep out :)

Have fun!

I drove from The Hague to Interlaken in Switzerland in one day in March this year. Distances seem much smaller on the continent. Be careful if it's wet though as many of the Autobahns drain very poorly compared to the UK with lots of standing water.

Parking can be a problem in Holland but public transport is great. They're quite sensible drivers so I wouldn't worry too much about driving into Amsterdam.

As already said the Austrian motorway permits can be bought from motorway petrol stations.

How about taking in Prague? We did that a few years back on the way back from Vienna - great city.

Have fun!

Just a thought... if tyou took in a night stop at Amsterdam and stayed in the Ibis at the airport... you used to be able to park for free for up to three weeks. Even the short stay rate in the car park was around 8 Euros for the first hour and something like 30 cents an hour afterwards. You can check it out on the web. I drove non stop from Aosta in Italy to the Borders once and apart from an hour in the tunnel and fuel and pee stops it took 18 hrs. Not my idea of fun but good luck.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

Looks like there is a car park at the ferry terminal but it's an unsecured one. Mind you, I park on a public street every night so I'm not too bothered. We already have the hotel booked otherwse I would have tried to fin a hotel with parking.

It's the cycle thing that bothers me in Holland. Drover through the ferry town last year and you really have to be fully switched on. Especially at roundabouts where there is a cycle lane and they have priority.

With any luck the ear syringing will go well on thursday as I've already sunk over 200 pounds into flights.

Good luck with the ear job... never realised owning a B would have this many problems.

Anyway, further thought about your trip. If travelling in more than one country in any 24hrs, and planning to rely on your credit/debit card, make sure you advise your card provider as their "anti-fraud software will tend to automatically block transactions. Happened to me when filling up with fuel but fortunately I had cash with me.

Back