General Help My Engine Mangement Light is on and wont go off, also car is jerky in low gears.

Currently reading:
General Help My Engine Mangement Light is on and wont go off, also car is jerky in low gears.

Louby Lou

Hi Guys im new to this site and need some advise, Ive got a Punto Y reg and its my baby, was drving home from work the other day and the engine mangement light came on and isnt going off!! The car also stutters alittle in Low gears!!

Ive called my local garage and they will connect it to a machine for £35 pound does this sound about rite and also is this a common problem or am i looking at something expensive :confused:

Please please please help. I cannot live without my car :cry:

Louby Lou xxxx :eek:

Ring an auto electrician - he will be cheaper. Or if you have a laptop you can pick up an OBDII reader for around 20 quid or less. The code needs read, the problem needs fixed and the code needs deleted or the light will always be on.

Misfire by the sounds of it. Probable causes in order are : sparks, leads, coilpack. If the coilpack has gone the ECU may have gone too. If the coilpack has gone it will run like a tractor though and have no power.

Lambda could be a problem, although it wouldn't be my first port of call if there was a misfire (the sparky can check if it's working properly if you ask him).

Last edited:
Hi Guys thanks for getting back to me,

In answer to the Stuttering questions it is when changing in low gears and sometimes when stood still. It also seems to loose power on occasion just after changing gear.

Ive managed to book it in to a garage tonight and they will charge £15 for report, plus if it does need a reapir they will only charge for that and not include to report cost.

Im absoloutly useless when it comes to cars :D

Lou xxx

Been to Garage, they plugged it in to that Machine thingy and said it was the Lamber Sensor that was making the light come on.

He attached it to the MOT tester and it showed the the amount of fumes its giving off are ok so turned the light off for me :D

He says if it comes back on to take it back and they will probably have to replace it :)

Good News :slayer:

xxxxxxx

Good, cheap fix if it happens again. Although I'd change it anyway and avoid paying 25 quid for another diag.

Back